Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   performance chip??? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13416)

waynes world 28th July 2014 09:06 PM

performance chip???

I am trying to sort the wiring and what i need to keep for the 2.9i cologne engine i have just fitted, when i noticed this which seemed out of place, i have been looking and all other ECU units dont have it, i have been told its a performance chip, can anyone give any more advice on it please,

should i keep it on? if i remove it what will it do to the running?

made out NOTEK on the sticker but google dont show anything

wylliezx9r 28th July 2014 09:21 PM

Personally I would leave it on. Why would you take it off ?

waynes world 28th July 2014 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wylliezx9r (Post 98089)
Personally I would leave it on. Why would you take it off ?

all depends what if anything it does?

any ideas ?

twinturbo 5th August 2014 12:26 AM

Yep it's a tuning chip of some sort. Usualy they are cased.

Only realy help driveability and not outright power.

TT

waynes world 6th August 2014 11:21 PM

Well i spoke to SuperChips about it and the chap i spoke in the tech department said i am lucky to find one and still fitted to the ECU, they no longer make this spec as it was one of the first they did with ford,a sat first the ECU needed fettling to take a chip but although this is an early ECU it was made by ford to take these chips, there was a plastic cover on it which you scrapped off to fit the chip.
This chip will give make the car run richer, better throttle control and give 5-10 % more BHP and same Trq, so not a bad thing at all, he said to try the car without it and then fit it and see the difference and then decide if to keep it or not. In all i got a bargain with this engine, complete but for alternator, loom ECU etc etc, and with top range HT leads and plugs and now a superchip fitted, oh happy days :)))))))

Now i need the stock calibration for this ECU i have on my ford 2.9i v6 ECU
with this ECU spec, i csn then get software for home tuning :)

twinturbo 8th August 2014 09:30 AM

Software for home tuning?

TT

waynes world 11th August 2014 08:47 AM

Yes TT, i have spoke to a chap from Tweekers in America, now he syas he could do it a tuning kit but he needs the original ECU gubbins, software thing as the only ones he has available is for the Ford 2.9 not mine.

twinturbo 11th August 2014 09:30 PM

I would check with the guys on fordpower about tweeker and it's compatability with UK products. I am not sure anyone has it working.

TT

waynes world 12th August 2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 98248)
I would check with the guys on fordpower about tweeker and it's compatability with UK products. I am not sure anyone has it working.

TT

thanks kida, will do ;)

snowy2 19th November 2014 07:03 PM

These "performance chips" are with out one of those cons which rank along with the ppi scandal. It amuses me that folks will believe that after a manufacturer has spent millions on developing an ecu for best performance and ecconmy that someone on ebay can sell a 50p resistor pack for £50.00 as a performance booster because they know something that the car manufacturers dont.
all these things do is fool the ecu into thinking things are colder than reality so it throws more fuel into combustion chamber so it runs richer......Unfortunately most ecu's are smart enough to spot this and compensate elsewhere. Performance is usually the same but with much worse fuel consumption and very rapid engine wear.