Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stots Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12492)

twinturbo 28th September 2013 09:54 PM

Looking good,

But I would personaly try and find a better location for the air intake as it's going to get very hot air.

TT

Stot 29th September 2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 93897)
Looking good,

But I would personaly try and find a better location for the air intake as it's going to get very hot air.

TT

Thanks TT.

I was going to shield it from the radiator at the top there but the alternative at the moment is by the exhaust manifold and this should be a cooler option. I may end up putting it below the radiator just above the steering rack so I can duct from the oil cooler vent.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 29th September 2013 07:02 PM

Well today I did two things. Firstly, I made up a couple of bracket bolts for my throttle cable.

The lower one is some M12 threadded rod with an M7 hole in it that takes a lambretta cable adjuster. The upper is the same thing without a thread. I finished them with some nut covers with the ends drilled.

Now what that meant, now that the radiator is plumbed in, the clutch is pressured up and the brakes are mostly bled was that I could do my first drive!

I say drive... It was moving under its own power ok!

Cheers
Stot

Numplumb 30th September 2013 10:43 PM

Well done Stot hope your wife made you some sandwiches for that trip:D

TheArf 1st October 2013 08:52 AM

And a flask of coffee, tidy job there mate

Arfon

Davidbolam 1st October 2013 10:24 AM

Well done on your first drive. Its amazing how quickly you are putting your car together especially with all the nice touches you are adding to it.

David

Stot 1st October 2013 09:15 PM

Cheers guys. Its nice to see it under its own steam! Not too far to go now.

Exciting thing happened last night, II got an email to say my lasercut was ready! Went and picked it up this morning and set the sewing machine free again when I got home.

The engraved logos came out pretty good. a bit scorched in places but passable. I put the sewing lines in just to give it some interest and to hide the transition on the MDF rom hard to padded.

Looks even better with the dash parts fitted...

My friend that did the laser cutting was asking if there was a market for this type of thing. I don't know, how much would you pay for a piece of leather with cutouts for a standard Sierra/MX5 dash? WOULD you pay for that?

Cheers
Stot

Stot 6th October 2013 08:01 PM

I think I'm getting to the finishing straight now after a busy weekend. In general I got the engine running nicely and made a start on the electrics. The dash is all working, I had cut the tach wire while removing the headlight flip stuff from behind the dash but that was easy enough to get back.

Exhaust is all in and welded up where need be. I currently have it hanging with a rubber strap at the rear.

I may make up a bracket to take a bobbin at some point I'm not sure.

Got both front lights on now, and even have them working!

And I made a cover for the rear of the tub.

I have the filler on the top there and its on a separate piece that stays attached if the rest is removed.

There will also be a leather cover for the back with the filler cap showing through at some point.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 10th October 2013 08:24 PM

Its dark when I get home from work these days so as I cant work on the electrics in the dark I thought I would have a go at a rear tub logo.

So it should look something like this.

Ill get it cut out at the weekend. :cool:

Cheers
Stot

Davidbolam 10th October 2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 94035)
Its dark when I get home from work these days so as I cant work on the electrics in the dark I thought I would have a go at a rear tub logo.

So it should look something like this.

Ill get it cut out at the weekend. :cool:

Cheers
Stot

That looks really good.

You will be on the road in no time at all!

David