Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Joining wires (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12544)

Johno 10th March 2013 09:49 AM

Joining wires

Whats the best and safestet way of extending or joining the wiring loom:confused:
I guess it's either soldering covered with heat shrink or insulated electrical crimps..

A friend of mine had some WURTH solder and heat shrink joiners in one which looked neat but is there anywhere else to get these from?

Any advice on what to use and where to get them greatfully appreciated..

Richard Dryden 10th March 2013 09:54 AM

just an opinion

Soldering iron kit and heat shrink tubing both sourced from eBay, had never soldered before but with some guidance from you tube.soon picked it up and makes a lovely job with practice.

skov 10th March 2013 10:04 AM

Tyco duraseal crimps are really good, but not cheap...
They're crimps covered in self adhesive heatshrink.

Soldering isn't generally advisable as the vibration can cause the solder joints to crack.
I have to admit I ended up making a load of solder joints when my stash of duraseal crimps ran out though :o
I'm sure I'll regret it at some point!

flyerncle 10th March 2013 12:32 PM

Wurth no longer do those solder sleeves,personally solder and heat shrink

Any joint that is not bright shiny solder is "Dry" and will cause problems.

brainbug007 14th March 2013 10:55 AM

I just used loads of bullet connectors then taped them up. Cheap & effective in my opinion :)

beardydave 14th March 2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johno (Post 88966)
Whats the best and safestet way of extending or joining the wiring loom:confused:
I guess it's either soldering covered with heat shrink or insulated electrical crimps..

A friend of mine had some WURTH solder and heat shrink joiners in one which looked neat but is there anywhere else to get these from?

Any advice on what to use and where to get them greatfully appreciated..

Lead solder and heat shrink. You can get everything you need from RS components, much cheaper and quicker than ebay.

Not Anumber 15th March 2013 05:01 PM

+ 1 for solder joints and heat shrink tubing.

The original builder of my car had wired the dash using a combination of bullet and spade connectors. He hadn't made a bad job of it at all but it was bulky which showed the limitations of using those types of connectors. Replacing it with point to point wiring with soldered joints and heat shrink tubing made it tidier and will be much easier to follow when i get round to removing the instruments to recover the dash.

beardydave 18th March 2013 01:24 PM

And another thing to do, use some large white or yellow heat shrink on the the wires before you put the connectors on for the switches and lable what the wires go to.

If you ever have to take it all apart again it will save you so much time, and it looks more professional for the IVA.

Also raid a scrap yard for VW wiring tubing and T's, also looks very professional in the engine bay, particularly if you are going EFI.

Johno 18th March 2013 08:34 PM

Thanks for all your help guys.
Probably going to do a bit of both methods in the end.:) ::)