Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New guy with big ambitions..... (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5609)

monsterob 29th December 2010 09:35 PM

sounds like your on the right track good luck ;)

geeksandlies 30th December 2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 50605)
A warm welcome to the forum, best wishes for your build.

Don,t dismiss the idea of using the MX5 as a donor ......

I,m ex MK so know the area well, quite a few builders within a 50 mile radius of you too, I,m sure there,ll be a few members saying hi to you soon.

cheers
andy

I haven't, not just yet anyway BUT i might have to at some point, probably when i start building ..

Ex-MK you say? Where abouts? I would have thought the roadster would have been the ideal weapon of choice round here as its basically a race track with roundabouts!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshG (Post 50611)
i think i have virtually got a whole donor sitting in the spare shed at the moment.

Diff
1.6 pinto
type 9 gearbox
diff
drive shafts
front and rear brakes

think the only things i havent got are the front uprights and the steering column.

nothing is up for sale at the moment though as i want the car back on the road before i let anything go.

Dibs :D Only kidding but when you do decide to sell up the parts please drop me a line with a price and i will see if the wife is feeling generous ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeriesLandy (Post 50615)
Don't be put off by a cvh, I was (things written on the net) when I was looking for a donor and passed a few up that were close. It's easier to use the motor if you eventually want a zetec engine.

And welcome to the forum.

I haven't just yet but used to have access to a 1.8 zetec that was a superb lump fairly reliable and a good amount of grunt, but will probably start with a cvh as it will be cheaper to start with, i was toying with the idea of a BEC for an upgrade!

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsterob (Post 50617)
sounds like your on the right track good luck ;)

Ta, i keep getting ahead of myself and am quick to remind myself that i haven't even started building yet and i need to keep it simple and work up from there :)

monsterob 30th December 2010 02:15 PM

I did a hell of alot of paper work before even starting as i wasnt using a ford donor still have hit some stumbling blocks but theres a thread of what im up to in the donor section omega 2.0 ecotec i thinks the title :-)

carlknight1982 30th December 2010 03:43 PM

I think I'm probably your closest forum member being top side of bedford

HandyAndy 30th December 2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeksandlies (Post 50643)
Ex-MK you say? Where abouts? I would have thought the roadster would have been the ideal weapon of choice round here as its basically a race track with roundabouts!

I lived in MK for 20 yrs, various area,s such as Walnut Tree, Monkston & a small village just outside the city called Castlethorpe.

It would certainly be fun in the Roadster with all those roundabouts :D :cool: mostly dual carriageway in between them all too:D

cheers
andy

geeksandlies 30th December 2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 50653)
I lived in MK for 20 yrs, various area,s such as Walnut Tree, Monkston & a small village just outside the city called Castlethorpe.

It would certainly be fun in the Roadster with all those roundabouts :D :cool: mostly dual carriageway in between them all too:D

cheers
andy

I know them well, i actually hail from Buckingham but live in MK these days, I know Castlethorpe well i used to live in Hartwell!

Its superb but the standard of driver around here leaves alot to be desired!

geeksandlies 30th December 2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsterob (Post 50647)
I did a hell of alot of paper work before even starting as i wasnt using a ford donor still have hit some stumbling blocks but theres a thread of what im up to in the donor section omega 2.0 ecotec i thinks the title :-)

Yes i have been reading you build thread, omega is thrid on my list of donor so just incase keep the detail up :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlknight1982 (Post 50648)
I think I'm probably your closest forum member being top side of bedford

Superb so when i get to head scratching i can give you a shout then :)