Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   SVA/Legal (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   DVLA closures plan for 39 offices (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7532)

eSteve 13th December 2011 01:50 PM

DVLA closures plan for 39 offices

Hi all,

just read about a proposal for the DVLA to close 39 DLVA offices by 2013. The list is given in the link and reproduced here:

Beverley in East Yorkshire, Birmingham, Bournemouth, Brighton, Bristol, Carlisle, Chelmsford in Essex, Chester, Exeter, Ipswich, Leeds, Lincoln, Borehamwood in Hertfordshire, Sidcup in south east London, and Wimbledon in south west London, Maidstone in Kent, Manchester, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northampton, Norwich, Nottingham, Oxford, Peterborough, Portsmouth, Preston, Sheffield, Shrewsbury, Stockton-on-Tees, Theale in Berkshire, Truro, Worcester, Bangor in Gwynedd, Cardiff, Swansea, Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Inverness will also be affected.

So could be a longer jaunt for some (inc. me Bounrnmouth is on the list) unless you get your build finished PDQ (by 2013, that won't be me then!).

Link to BBC news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16158015

Steve

MikeB 13th December 2011 02:53 PM

dumb question.

At what part of the build do we need the local DVLA branch.
Chassis number? Getting a reg number?

Cheers

Mike

eSteve 13th December 2011 04:37 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong

Initialy I thought that the list was not all local offices and there was one in Southampton. Hence my quip about a longer jaunt.

But, on re-reading it appears that ALL local offices are proposed for closure. Am I reading it correctly?

There is a link on the BBC page (in prev. post) within the sentance "The proposals affect all 39 regional offices, described by Mr Penning as "expensive". " Which seems to indicate that there is some public consultation on this up until March 2012.

I am wondering; how will the inspection of car and VIN will be done by the DLVA when issuing the V5 after the IVA has been passed?

MikeB,

the DLVA are involved at (at least) two stages:

1. Getting a VIN number (which is needed on the car for IVA), this can be done by post or in person at an office (I did it in person when I was registering another car).

2. After the IVA; once you have a pass certificate, one goes to the DVLA office with car and certificate and all one's other documents (donor reg if going for age related plate, proof it's self-built etc.), the bloke at the DLVA then 'inspects' it. That si, he checks the car you have claimed to have built is the one bearing the VIN number, has passed IVA and possibly checks the engine age.

MikeB 13th December 2011 04:39 PM

seems like all of them.
could be fun getting to swansea post IVA!

robo 13th December 2011 07:32 PM

Its worse than that because there is now a raft of vehicle related clerical shite the good old post office is no longer allowed to deal with. Like anything the powers that be get involved with, a complete fiasco. Two of those on that list I use so I am dischuffed.:mad:

Bob

twinturbo 13th December 2011 08:36 PM

Balls,

Local office's are so much easier to work with!

Must crack on then!

TT

K4KEV 13th December 2011 08:50 PM

Gonna need to get my finger out and graft some to get my build back on track ....this is not good news for all motorists, while online services make life easy there is always a downside and it is becoming evident everywhere, just look at the continuing demise of the high street due to online shopping.
Couple of decades time the IVA might be done by holographic means via xbox720

eSteve 14th December 2011 11:59 AM

I have this morning asked the DVLA what the process is intended to be for home builders registering cars if there is no local DVLA office to attend.

I have also emailed the editor of CKC (Ian Stent) to see if they can find out any more information on what the new process might involve.

As has been previously suggested; issuing of a V5, or a pro-forma to obtain one by post, by VOSA at their IVA inspection sites could be a possibility.

Cyberbeej 14th December 2011 12:11 PM

I've noticed that the dvla depot/office where my local IVA will take place isn't on the list. I'm assuming these depots/offices will have more duties with regards to vehicle inspections and the like.

At the moment i would have to go to Bishopbriges in glasgow. I was told by the lady there that the Kilmarnock depot was getting ready to do the new IVA test in the new year when i was down for a VIC check in june.

eSteve 14th December 2011 01:03 PM

Yes

One needs to remeber the BBC article is about DLVA offices and not VOSA sites, where IVAs are conducted.

As I stated; if the VOSA site could do the DVLA inspection on behalf of the DLAV then all is well.

The DirectGov site here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...cle/DG_4022316

says how the registraion of a new vehicle is carried out (including for us self-builders) near the end it says:

"What happens next

The DVLA local office may wish to inspect the vehicle before allocating an appropriate vehicle registration mark. Your identity documentation will be returned to you with the vehicle tax disc. If you would like the documents returned by special delivery, you will need to provide a prepaid self addressed, special delivery envelope. The DVLA cannot guarantee the return of the documents by a specific date."

When I obtained my VIN form the DLVA office in Bournemouth the officer there said he does need to physically inspect the vehcile after IVA, but I understand this is decided on an office by office basis so:

The 'may' in the first sentence could be dropped and then a visit to an actual DLVA office would not be required.