Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Running gear (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Flexi brake pipes (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2557)

drury318 17th August 2009 07:49 AM

Flexi brake pipes

Does anyone know of an online source of info regarding flexi pipes, i.e. length, fittings etc? I ended up picking through a suppliers stock to find suitable rears for my roadster & didnt fancy my chances of finding longer ones for the fronts. Failing that, does anyone have the part no. & dimensions of any hoses they have used for the fronts?
Thanks, Dennis

AshG 17th August 2009 08:53 AM

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/index.php?cPath=85_248

i used the euroquip ends and goodridge hose. come to about £50 for 8 end fittings 3m of braded hose and 8 locking nuts.

if you do it this way you can make them to any lengeth you wish

flyerncle 17th August 2009 05:19 PM

Sorry I cant remeber who or where, but I think 500mm was used as a length for the hoses.

gus 17th August 2009 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just bought my hoses from a place I found online.

Made all four hoses to 500mm long, with bulkhead fittings on both ends of rear. Fronts had bulkhead fitting one end with caliper fitting at the other.

All braided hoses, look really nice. Had them delivered next day.

Place was called Hose Solutions 01392 811601 speak to Ben, £54.95 inc vat & delivery.

See attached pic.

Cheers

Mark

flyerncle 17th August 2009 06:46 PM

Just had a look at the invoice for mine from GT Hydraulics on Tyneside and all the bits came to £60 inc vat and postage but this is for make your own re-usable ends and fittings inc 3 mtrs braided hose.

RAYLEE29 17th August 2009 10:12 PM

£50-£60 for flexible brake lines sounds rather a lot for a budget build.
there was a thread saying about wich rubber ones you can use you could prob get them all for £20 if you knew which ones to buy.
yes i know the stainless braided ones are better and look prettier but it comes at a price
Ray:)

HandyAndy 17th August 2009 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAYLEE29 (Post 20299)
£50-£60 for flexible brake lines sounds rather a lot for a budget build.
there was a thread saying about wich rubber ones you can use you could prob get them all for £20 if you knew which ones to buy.
yes i know the stainless braided ones are better and look prettier but it comes at a price
Ray

:o its well known that i,m as tight as a ducks backside with my build budget.....

i got 2 stainless braided hoses with correct fittings, second hand but never used(still in a sealed bag), long enough to do either front or back fitting, cough erm £10.48 delivered off fleabay :eek: :D :cool:

andy

geeman 17th August 2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 20300)
:o its well known that i,m as tight as a ducks backside with my build budget.....

i got 2 stainless braided hoses with correct fittings, second hand but never used(still in a sealed bag), long enough to do either front or back fitting, cough erm £10.48 delivered off fleabay :

andy

you seem to be getting lucky on finding bargins quite abit:p ;)

While we are on the topic of brake hoses, im not sure what to get to do all my brake lines, or where to get some rigid copper alloy tubing from and flaring kits(whats a flaring kit?:o ). Also i will probably buy the fuel lines as well and wonder where i could get those from.

Are there like complete kits availiable with everything needed to fit all brake lines.
Thanks

HandyAndy 17th August 2009 10:36 PM

you should,ve seen me in action at Stoneleigh kit car show :o :D

brake pipe you can get from most motor factors, depending on type it costs between £12 to £25 per roll, 1 roll should be enough for all solid type brake lines on your car.
the flaring tool is a tool that makes the ends of the pipe create a watertight(brakefluid tight) seal between the line & the caliper/master cylinder & any joint where the brake line goes into a union, fairly cheap to buy off ebay or a motor factor,
i bought my fuel line from B&Q... £19.95 from the heating section ;)

thats why my build will come in under budget, cough erm ...yes i,m tight :D

andy

geeman 17th August 2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 20306)
you should,ve seen me in action at Stoneleigh kit car show :o :D

brake pipe you can get from most motor factors, depending on type it costs between £12 to £25 per roll, 1 roll should be enough for all solid type brake lines on your car.
the flaring tool is a tool that makes the ends of the pipe create a watertight(brakefluid tight) seal between the line & the caliper/master cylinder & any joint where the brake line goes into a union, fairly cheap to buy off ebay or a motor factor,
i bought my fuel line from B&Q... £19.95 from the heating section ;)

thats why my build will come in under budget, cough erm ...yes i,m tight :D

andy

oh yeah, while i remember, if ytou havnt already, id really reccommend you get a halfords trade card, as stuff like bulbs, car consumables and all are seriously cheap then, and halfords will match any motor factor within 20 miles if you have a trade card!!