Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General discussion (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Rosco's haynes Build (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13517)

Rosco 25th June 2016 10:07 PM

Getting there

Got to have some bead rolling

Rosco 25th June 2016 10:09 PM

Fins added, going to nut and bolt these after paint I think, that way if one gets damaged i can just replace it

Looks a bit over the top but that's what I wanted, not bad for £15 for the aluminium sheet!

Rosco 28th June 2016 10:18 PM

Got some bonnet vents fitted, just to let some air out as there's only down the tunnel with the full floor etc

Holes cut

Stuck in

All done

Rosco 28th June 2016 10:18 PM

Also made a gopro mount

Might get the diffuser back from paint tomorrow too! Can't wait!

flyerncle 30th June 2016 10:35 AM

Brilliant job as normal ! Don't know if it makes a lot of difference but splitters I have seen on cars have the center boxed in like a scoop even on boy racer ST fiesta's/ST Focus.

I have a diff/rear cover the same and will turn that into a splitter too.

Rosco 4th July 2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerncle (Post 104012)
Brilliant job as normal ! Don't know if it makes a lot of difference but splitters I have seen on cars have the center boxed in like a scoop even on boy racer ST fiesta's/ST Focus.

I have a diff/rear cover the same and will turn that into a splitter too.

cheers, yeah i know what you mean, bit harder to make one like that, will get some pictures up later!

metal matt 4th July 2016 03:10 PM

Rosco
Any new from the DVLA yet. looking forward to seeing some videos

flyerncle 4th July 2016 03:16 PM

I find that hard to believe with the quality of your work .;)

Rosco 4th July 2016 03:33 PM

haha, yeah got my reg Friday night and went out on Saturday, Brilliant!!

metal matt 4th July 2016 07:58 PM

Happy days I just wish this rain would sod off but looking good tomorrow so might take mine into work

Rosco 4th July 2016 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metal matt (Post 104040)
Happy days I just wish this rain would sod off but looking good tomorrow so might take mine into work

Sweet, I've not been bothered by the weather for the last two years, then it rained on my IVA and rained when I got my reg!! Argh :mad:

Rosco 4th July 2016 09:19 PM

Right well Friday just gone, I rang the dvla to chase my reg and they said they where just waiting on the payment to clear then they would call and tell me my reg, about lunchtime they emailed it through, so straight to get some numberplates, got these fitted and also got my rear diffuser back from paint and fitted

I was all ready for a spin but kept raining on Friday night,

Rosco 4th July 2016 09:20 PM

Up early Saturday morning, and the sun was out, looking good

Had a good few runs out, just did short runs so I could keep checking everything looked alright, all sweet, drives lovely, well happy!

Cropper 5th July 2016 12:41 PM

I got my reg on Friday also, Managed a couple of trips out but suffered with the rain as well!

jps 7th July 2016 04:32 PM

The quality of your build is incredible - and thanks for documenting it so well on here - I had to unsubscribe to the thread as it was depressing me about mine too much!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosco (Post 102561)

How do you get the rivnuts (i'm assuming that's what they are?) to sit flush like that? How thick is the alu - i thought these panels were done in 1.2 / 1.5 mm - which is surely too thin to countersink?

metal matt 19th July 2016 04:07 PM

Hi pal. Been a bit quiet with you. How's it going with the car now it on the road and the weather is around.

Rosco 19th July 2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metal matt (Post 104083)
Hi pal. Been a bit quiet with you. How's it going with the car now it on the road and the weather is around.

Hi mate, yeah bit quiet, just having a bit of a break to fair, I never really took a brake when I was building the car, had a couple of trips out in the car, all pretty good, a few issues, rear hubs are getting hot, it's the wheel bearings, they were real tight when I first assembled them but I have just kept nipping them up, I've had a search but can't find much info, one thing I read was saying they need to be tightened up to the correct torque so I'm going to try that, also a little oil leak from a engine sensor so I need to fix that, also want to get my fueling checked on the rollers before I put to many miles on it

All good to be fair, just taking a minute :D

Rosco 19th July 2016 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jps (Post 104051)
The quality of your build is incredible - and thanks for documenting it so well on here - I had to unsubscribe to the thread as it was depressing me about mine too much!!!

How do you get the rivnuts (i'm assuming that's what they are?) to sit flush like that? How thick is the alu - i thought these panels were done in 1.2 / 1.5 mm - which is surely too thin to countersink?

Only just seen this, Haha thanks, yeah riv nuts and 1.2mm, there not totally flush, i just debur the hole normally, the Ali is soft so they normally squish in a little

Rosco 18th August 2016 09:40 PM

Well guess a little update is needed,

Been real busy with real life to be fair, been on holiday and got a new daily so that's took a bit of my time,

As for the car, all perfect apart from a slight oil leak from the gear position sensor, fixed this last night

And a problem with the rear wheel bearings still being tight after 100 or so miles, turns out it looks like I had not pressed the inner seals in enough, I had just fitted them flush with the hub face for some reason, so fitted a new set of bearings and seals to the hubs tonight so hopefully get it back together and on the road over the weekend, then I can get a video and some good finished pictures up!

Rosco 21st August 2016 07:47 PM

Well got the wheel bearings all fitted and back together, not a bad job really, just sounds worse I think, once I built the hubs up I run them in the lathe to see if they got warm, and they did, about 50 deg C, now I don't no if anyone else's run warm, but these seem to, I will just keep an eye on it, as I have no other ideas,

Been out for a good drive today, and took a few pictures, drives so nice!

Rosco 21st August 2016 07:48 PM

Rosco 10th September 2016 07:35 PM

Well got my first track day next Friday, finally got it on the rollers to check the fueling, fueling needed a bit of a tweak but the main issue was at 9000 rpm the power dropped off, with a peak power of only 140bhp, great I thought, what's that going to be, but even so we took the air filter off just to watch the top injectors working because we thought it was cool, and only three where working, so I got some 2nd hand injectors and replaced the bad one, drives like a different car! 9000 rpm then hits the limiter at 13000! So back on the rollers for another power run and map the fueling,

Here's a pic of the two power curves, the top green line is the bad injector run and the top red line is how it is now!

All in all an easy fix really, and feels so much faster!

Also the rear wheel bearings seem to be bedding in nicely,

I've checked the alignment again and set the ride height with me sat in it, oh and centred the steering wheel

Few little jobs left and a clean and I should be ready for a blast around blyton park

garyt 11th September 2016 08:45 AM

funny how the old set up was marginally ahead up to @7750 rpm then the new ones are like chalk n cheese, I dont know but am guessing there are double injectors on each t/b ?
anyway glad your sorted and enjoy

metal matt 11th September 2016 09:35 AM

Nice one. Looking forward to seeing a Video of this in action. I'll be fitting my turbo over the winter and can't wait to get it on the rolling road to see what i can get

Rosco 10th November 2016 10:17 PM

bit of an update, did my track day at blyton in sept, well, one of the worst days I've had in a while,

It rained all the way there, and all morning till midday, at which point we decided to head home, did one lap, car was filthy and drenched as where my pants, I was gutted to be fair, I'm really surprised they let the day run as it was downright dangerous on track, but guess they wanted the money!

So got home and spent the whole weekend getting the car clean and dry again!

But I've been out for a few steady drives since, one issue I've had is with the colder weather my rubber pipes from my brake resviour have been leaking a little fluid so I've swapped to these tonight

There remote ones but I didn't realise you can mount them straight in the master cylinders, so see how these go

TSM Locost 11th November 2016 08:35 AM

Now in CKC , nice one :D :D :D

Rosco 11th November 2016 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSM Locost (Post 104590)
Now in CKC , nice one :D :D :D

haha thanks, Hows it Read? ive not got a mag yet :D

TSM Locost 11th November 2016 11:54 AM

No less than 6 pages and loads of pictures. proper job.

Rosco 11th November 2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSM Locost (Post 104593)
No less than 6 pages and loads of pictures. proper job.

brilliant, i think he said the finished photos will be in the month after :cool:

norton 11th November 2016 12:59 PM

Looking great as always! Have you any in car videos to share at all?

Rosco 11th November 2016 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norton (Post 104595)
Looking great as always! Have you any in car videos to share at all?

I have took a few but so boring to watch back, I will try and get one uploaded

Rosco 20th January 2017 07:32 AM

Well I'm still here, decided to get my finger out and start sorting my winter jobs out on the car,

The list is

Sort an aeroscreen out

Fit a fuel level sender and guage, as the one in the bike pump is to low and doesn't work

Fit a controller for the electric water pump as on a steady run it runs a bit cool as I've removed the thermostat

And a few other little jobs,

I will keep you posted

norton 14th March 2017 03:17 PM

Hey, Could I ask please where you got your side indicators from please mounted in your front arches?

Rosco 14th March 2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norton (Post 105141)
Hey, Could I ask please where you got your side indicators from please mounted in your front arches?

of course,

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/butto...ar-amber-pair/

all my lights where from here,

they supply caterham with there headlights to!

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/5-3-4...tanding-black/

top quality and a bargain for a pair!

norton 14th March 2017 03:32 PM

You're a star!

Yes I've ordered their headlights. I suspected they were oem Caterham units, they're certainly the nicest of all the ones I've looked at. Thank again!

jps 10th October 2017 07:30 PM

Rosco - I see all your photos are now no longer visible thanks to Photobucket (:mad: :mad: :mad: ) - is there a direct link to your Photobucket gallery so I could have a browse? Just looking at how others have fitted their bodywork and pictures are v. helpful!

Cheers - John

Rosco 12th October 2017 07:45 AM

http://s133.photobucket.com/user/cor...?sort=3&page=1

try that, not sure if it will work, so gutted all the pics have gone :(

norton 26th May 2018 05:07 PM

Any updates Rosco?