Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   wider chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5223)

whitstella 16th October 2010 03:19 PM

wider chassis

hi iam thinking about making the roadster a bit wider than the book being that im on the larger side (ok fat). i'm just thinking about it and i would like to here from the people that have more idea than me about building these machines.

many thanks steve

twinturbo 16th October 2010 03:59 PM

We have some extended girth drivers who have built standard cars.

the problem with making the body wider are that no stock bodywork will fit, and there will be impact on suspension/steering geometry and drive shafts.

TT

Talonmotorsport 16th October 2010 07:12 PM

Question: what can you do with bolt on drive shafts? ;)
You can make the stock ford+bmw parts up to 4" wider using spacers between the CV joints and drive flange on the diff end. Bigger off set wheels will also help with the addition of spacers between the hubs and wheel face. The other thing is you don't need a 125mm wide transmision tunel for a 50mm drive shaft.

les g 16th October 2010 07:22 PM

i reckon it would be fairly easy to do
but only if you use ally for the tub and sides
you could keep the front half standard and use the Saturn
nosecone bonnet and scuttle
and just widen the rear half
its surprising what difference just an extra inch or two makes
cheers les g

Bonzo 16th October 2010 07:22 PM

Funny you should mention the transmission tunnel width, was looking at mine earlier & thought that there was a bit of scope for a slimmer tunnel :)

les g 16th October 2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 46913)
Funny you should mention the transmission tunnel width, was looking at mine earlier & thought that there was a bit of scope for a slimmer tunnel :)

i agree oh wise one
what about a tapered tunnel
narrower at the top than the bottom
i nearly bought an Aries chassis once but the fit was a bit tight
the guy did say he could move the offside top tunnel rail to the left to accomodate me
thats another option i reckon just moving the drivers side
of the tunnel
unlikely to have two hippo,s in little car at the same time
cheers les g

flyerncle 16th October 2010 07:37 PM

Could be wrong but I think the shafts are two different lengths so it should be possible to move the diff over making the drivers side larger.

les g 16th October 2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerncle (Post 46917)
Could be wrong but I think the shafts are two different lengths so it should be possible to move the diff over making the drivers side larger.

stunning idea just use two of the longest driveshafts
this forum is great for bouncing ideas around
cheers les g

Bonzo 16th October 2010 07:53 PM

Yes Les, tis surprising how things just spring to mind.

I guess it would not be impossible to have one seating position wider at the expense of the other :)

Stuck my seat in place the other day & really hate the handbrake position with a vengance :eek:
Smack bang, right in line with my elbow, my own fault for being such a shorhouse :o

No prizes for guessing what my next wee mod will be !!?? ;)

Talonmotorsport 16th October 2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 46920)

Stuck my seat in place the other day & really hate the handbrake position with a vengance :eek:
Smack bang, right in line with my elbow, my own fault for being such a shorhouse :o

No prizes for guessing what my next wee mod will be !!?? ;)

We made a chassis for an R1 install with a hand brake that was recessed into the tunnel when it was down, could'nt get it to disappear completly but certainly made a difference.