Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Running gear (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Camber Adjuster Failure Warning!!! (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3878)

AshG 17th March 2010 07:41 PM

Camber Adjuster Failure Warning!!!

Had a rather nasty failure on the car today. The one of the quick camber adjusters on the front suspension decided to catastrophically fail and allow the top wishbone to detach from the hub.

My friend chris was driving at the time luckily he noticed that it had failed and stopped before the front wheel parted company with the car.

i would seriously advise you to think about changing them for stronger items if they are on your car or revert back to the book wishbone design with the fixed threaded tube

this is the adjuster in question

and this is the failed one.

yes your not seeing things the bolt head as completely come off

spud69 17th March 2010 07:46 PM

Bloody Nora Ash,

We are selling the same ones and yes the Alloy does look very light but you would expect that they have been tested as fit for purpose.

Will be removing them from sale forthwith.

Only Flynercle has bought these to date, if you are reading this. If not then we shall see you on Saturday.

Cheers Ash.....AndyH

dogwood 17th March 2010 08:18 PM

It seems to me Ash,
if you didn't have bad luck you would'nt have any luck at all.

So I can guess what you'll be up to over the weekend.
Still I suppose it's better it shows up now and not when you are giving it a spanking

AshG 17th March 2010 08:22 PM

well my dilemma now is do i remake new ones in steel and hope they are strong enough or make a whole new set of upper wishbones front and back to the standard book design without the quick adjuster?

Janne E 17th March 2010 08:30 PM

I have them in the front but now I got to get some in steel.
Wonder what Rally Design have to say about this????

Janne

Davey 17th March 2010 08:32 PM

Personally I'd say go for the book design. Why bother with quick adjusters anyway, it only takes a few minutes to knock out the top ball joint and screw it in or out a turn but with about 5-6mm of steel around the threads its unlikely to fall apart.

D.

frankie boy 17th March 2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshG (Post 34206)
well my dilemma now is do i remake new ones in steel and hope they are strong enough or make a whole new set of upper wishbones front and back to the standard book design without the quick adjuster?

Thats made me think. As i have made them back and front on my new build.
Thay must have sold hundreds of them so im thinking how many have failed.

If i remember right you had cut them to suite. Do you think this may have had something to do with it?

dogwood 17th March 2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janne E (Post 34209)
Wonder what Rally Design have to say about this????
Janne

Good point Janne..

I suppose steel will be stronger,
but will you always be wondering..:confused:

Think if it was me, I would make a set of steel ones for now.
but make a new set of bones before I did any engine mods....:rolleyes:

Spikehaus 17th March 2010 08:44 PM

How did you form the hole for the camber adjuster sleeve to sit in? Did you precision bore it out on the lathe for snug fit, like the ones I machined for Bonzo, or did they have any slack or play that may cause addition stress point? I opted out of the camber adjusters at an early stage.

Looks like you got away with a potential accident and flagged up a warning for us all.

Bonzo 17th March 2010 08:51 PM

Omg !!??

That don't look too clever ..... Imagine if that had happened in a high speed corner :eek:

I got two pairs of those .... Probably going to go with the book spec adjusters now ;)

If I am to be honest .... Wasn't quite happy with mine, they are a very loose fit on the the drag links I have ( Thread wise that is ) :confused:

Cheers for the heads up Ash.