Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   It Has Begun! (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2995)

car.mad 1st November 2009 10:44 PM

It Has Begun!

started todayish

spent the last week tidying out the garage :eek: (yes it was that bad) built the build table friday evening and finished it yesterday then a trip to machine mart saw the introduction of a shiney new mig welder and some other tools :) and an empty wallet :(

spent the whole of today marking out the build table

tomorrow (and probably most of this week) will see me going on the scrounge for some steel (because im cheap i dont want to pay for it) :o

looking for a bigger welding gas bottle aswell (see build pics) anyone know of a place that sells rather than rents gas bottles of this size or simular?

Bonzo 1st November 2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by car.mad (Post 24210)
spent the last week tidying out the garage :eek: (yes it was that bad)

Sounds tidy to me, I have spent the last 20years trying to get my workshop tidy & it's still mayhem in there :D :D

Great news on your start, that's the first big step in the right direction :cool:

HandyAndy 1st November 2009 11:00 PM

well done on your first steps of building your Roadster :cool:

if ever you come up to the north east i have a 3ft tall gas bottle you can borrow long term ( finish your car );)

good luck with the rest of your build.

andy

andyuk697 2nd November 2009 07:36 PM

alrite mate nice to see another yorkshire lad on the forum maybe we can start our own convy to some shows
not sure about oxy acetelene bottles but i bought a co2 bottle and it says carlsberg on the side lol a scrap yard maybe a good place to beg

Andy

londonsean69 2nd November 2009 11:12 PM

You may be able to acquire a pub CO2 bottle from a friendly landlord (do you have a local where you spend a bit of wedge??)

CO2 can produce a pretty hot weld pool though, so is a little bit harder on thin steel, like the 1.6 box. Argoshield Light (or Cougar) is nice to use.

There is a firm that does rent free 9l bottles, just pay £40 deposit, but you might get hit for the delivery charges - adams gas because they are in Kent, although they use TNT to deliver them.

Now, I get lost outside of the M25, but these 2 'might' be local to you, although I have no idea what they offer/prices etc.

The details are on the 'gas suppliers' thread from the mig welding forum here

Energas Ltd
Salmon Pastures, Attercliffe Rd, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S4 7WZ
Tel: 0114 273 1730

TC Welding Supplies Ltd
The Chapel, Carrwell Lane, Wadsley Bridge, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S6 1NR
Tel: 0114 234 1149

Hope those help

car.mad 3rd November 2009 05:30 PM

cheers sean will give those a try and see what the costs are, where i work gets gas (usualy acetyline) from a place just down the road but i think they only do the huge bottles but there meant to be cheap, dont really have the space for a massive bottle at the moment.

cheers for the offer andy but i dont like borrowing things off people because i have some daft, careless friends which are in the garage with me most of the time re-building motorbike engines and wot'not and i simply dont trust them with gasses of any sort (especialy when its not mine), thats why theres a padlock or 2 on the cupboard with acetyline in it ;)

been on the phone to a local steel supplier today, they are coming back to me with some prices on full lengths but they have a couple of scrap bins which they will let people rummage through for a small charge so im off to check that out tomorrow so hopefully some cheap steel (mainly for welding practice and another little project) will be coming my way :)

had a bit of a play with the welder yesterday evening and im majorly!!! out of practice so before i start cutting up and "trying" to weld paid for steel i neeeeeed more practice. :o

VladD 4th November 2009 12:57 PM

We need to find a way to mate the welders with a music player of some sort, so that the A-Team theme plays every time the welder is switched on. :D

car.mad 5th November 2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VladD (Post 24403)
We need to find a way to mate the welders with a music player of some sort, so that the A-Team theme plays every time the welder is switched on.

hmm i have a crazy electrical genius of a college tutor who i could set to work... could get a bit anoying after a while.

visited a steel supplier yesterday and got some prices bit steep i think (£12 per 6m length of 25x25... tryed the 'im a poor college student' bit to get a bit of discount, which didnt work... but they did let me look through there scrap pile which was good, managed to get quite a bit of 10mm plate and a short piece of 25x25 box section out of them for free which im quite pleased about.

today iv been practicing my welding again and im pleased to report iv got the nack back :) only problem is i broke the hammer and the vice (its a shockingly bad vice) trying to break the welds which is obviously a good thing... now i need a trip to machine mart to spend more money on another vice and hammer shaft :(

also paid a visit to a guy my dad knows who is a metal worker (and knows his stuff) gave me some handy welding tips (shame he dosnt have a scrap pile) and should be placing an order for some steel in the next week or so :) (the 'im a poor student' bit worked this time :) )

another visit was to the supplier of gas we use for work... they are a BOC dealer so i ran away as fast as i could... got all my mates looking out for a bottle for me but not having much luck at the moment.

Jake

Bonzo 5th November 2009 11:34 PM

Dont you just hate it when tools break

The last time I broke a vice, I was trying to remove a driveshaft nut !!??

Bloody vice wouldn't grip the thing. With the assistance of a long length of pipe, I gave the vice a turbo tweak.

One almighty bang later, one of the jaws went flying through the air & landed on the bonnet of a customers car :eek:

It was an accident dammaged car that I was repairing, Good job the front of the car was well covered over but it still left a small dimple. :o

The conversation went something like this. " Here, I didn't notice that dent when I bought the car ".................... " Oh that one "........." I expect the recovery boys done that when they loaded it on to the transporter " :rolleyes: :D

Keep up the good work & keep us posted on your progress.

thwang 6th November 2009 08:46 PM

hi car.mad
is that sunny emley near clayton west by chance