Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Headlamp beam pattern incorrect. (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14052)

Wain 26th February 2017 01:49 PM

Headlamp beam pattern incorrect.

1 Attachment(s)
I have attached an image of my current light beam pattern. Failed the IVA because of the blur around the flick up.
MX5 loom, headlamps from CBS, replaced the bulbs. Any ideas what could be causing the blur?

garyt 26th February 2017 05:17 PM

Mm I'm not sure but are both light images the same n/ and o/s ? On projected image there are only 3 variables ,1 lenses or 2 bulbs or 3 reflectors
I ware the light units a pair ? As if there is a blur I would suspect the lens
What size lights I have a spare 7" lens unit if required

Wain 26th February 2017 06:16 PM

I have pretty much ripped the wiring appart and checked all earths to rule that out, changed the bulbs and now thinking lens as well.
Yes they are 7", if they will fit i will give them a try. Shall i pm you my address?

garyt 26th February 2017 07:16 PM

Yes pm me your address I have one spare unit that you are welcome to at least if that sorts the issue then your halfway there, will get it posted tommorow all being well

garyt 26th February 2017 08:39 PM

Message received will get it posted tommorow oh and I have ignored the other part of the message ;)

Wain 26th February 2017 09:21 PM

Thank you, appreciated. I will let you know what difference it makes to the pattern once it is fitted.

garyt 27th February 2017 05:09 PM

posted this afternoon , hope it helps

Cropper 28th February 2017 01:33 PM

I failed the IVA on the same thing, MX5 build with 5 3/4" headlights, all brand new. I was advised by the tester to get better bulbs, as they had seen this issue before, so i stumped up for the best bulbs i could & it passed OK second time. Just a note that the kick up they fail you on isn't tested on an normal mot!

Wain 28th February 2017 02:29 PM

Got the retest next Tuesday so im hoping changing the lens and new bulbs will do the trick.

Wain 28th February 2017 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Received it today, thank you Gary. Noticed it is the same make and model though as the ones i have..
Anyway, connected it and it made a massive difference. Before

Wain 28th February 2017 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After, big difference:

Wain 28th February 2017 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also tried swapping my bulb with your lens:

Wain 28th February 2017 10:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And put your bulb in my headlight:

Wain 28th February 2017 10:56 PM

I think the last two pictures should be the over way round... Anyway, although your lens is same make and model as mine, it gives off a different pattern. Also noticed the bulb is same make as the lens. Guess i will need to get a new set of lenses, you agree?
Either that or i try and get through the IVA next week with one lens that gives off the correct pattern :)

garyt 28th February 2017 11:21 PM

Yes from those pictures definitely the lenses so have a look on eBay or try your local motor factors and see if they have another 1 , I take it both of your lights were throwing fuzzies?
Glad it helped and good luck on the retest

Wain 1st March 2017 01:57 PM

I cant believe what difference the lens has made, especially when they are the same make and model. Both headlights are showing the same fuzzy pattern. Do you want the spare lens back? if not, how much do you want for it?

garyt 1st March 2017 09:37 PM

Glad it helped pinpoint what was wrong no keep it and I don't need anything for it just if you can help a fellow builder along the way is payment enough
Now get that iva pass it will soon be Easter and nice driving weather
All the best Gary

Wain 8th March 2017 08:11 PM

Hey Gary, headlight patterns are now fine, thank you! Just a shame the petrol tank developed a leak and the handbrake isnt efficient enough to pass....

garyt 8th March 2017 11:09 PM

Hi Wain I'm in deepest darkest Kentucky at the moment
Fuel tank leak where's it leaking from ?
Hand brake , start on the rear adjusters you have to remove a bolt then adjust them , then move onto the cables just google mx5 handbrake adjustment and it's all there , I had some slippage on the cable where I had modified it but removed the plastic sleeping and redid it and it was fine
If the tank is leaking from a seam get a bar of soap and rub the seam the wax goes in and seals it temporarily but it might just get you through
Let me know how you get on with the brakes as once mine were adjusted they were solid and let me know about the tank leak and I will see what we can come up with
Gary

Wain 8th March 2017 11:25 PM

I fixed the fuel leak, the pipe from the fuel pump had a pin prick hole, tried welding it in place previously but created the hole (obvioulsy before filling it). Replaced the pipe which comes out of the tank and sealed it.
The brakes are the tricky ones, had a seperate thread and discussion on here previously. Got Wilwood calpers so in standard form with cables to a handbrake has 8% efficiency! Was advised to add a lever inbetween the brake cables and a cable from the handrake, this brought it up to 14%. This time i added a bigger lever to increase force but was to big and hit the prop shaft hence fail!
Thinking now to move the handbrake to the side so its not directly above the propshaft with the lever running next to the propshaft. Hopefully this will put the efficiency above 18%
Because it has been over 6 months since i initially applied for the IVA i need to apply for an IVA again online. Gives me time to get the handbrake sorted!