Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General discussion (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Build Officially Started! (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736)

Tatey 11th September 2009 09:12 PM

Build Officially Started!

I've officially started my build now!

HandyAndy, has very kindly lent me his build table and i've now started assembling it all.

My garage suddenly seems much smaller with an 8'x4' build table in the middle of it :p

Although 2 steps forward, 1 step back. My recently purchased MIG welder (Clarke 151EN) has got a faulty gas valve, so the torch leaks a small amount of gas, even when the trigger isnt depressed. I've ordered a new one at the grand cost of £18.85 delivered, so all is not lost :D.

Theres always a silver lining though as it now means i've got all weekend to ensure the bottom rails are perfect without my MIG trying to tempt me into rushing ahead :eek:.

I'll start a build blog shortly and put the link in my signature.

I'd just like to thank HandyAndy and the rest of you's in getting me to this stage so far, im sure i'll require more help in the future though :eek:

Cheers
Tatey

flyerncle 11th September 2009 09:15 PM

Nice one Tatey go for it,shout if you get stuck.

HandyAndy 11th September 2009 09:21 PM

all the best for your build mate,

the chassis outline on the table is just about visible under the coffee mug stains :o :D

enjoy your build & you know where i am if needed,
watch out for the front frame :eek: ;)

andy

Tatey 11th September 2009 11:25 PM

Wow.....:eek:

I've been doing a running total of all of the costs of my build. So far the total is......£601.03 :eek:

The majority being tool costs, the main being my MIG which owed me £200 now :rolleyes:, i knew the bloody things where expensive :D

Although i've now got pretty much a fully functioning 'workshop', all of the steel for my build, my roll bar and steering rack, so i should be sorted for the next few months.

dogwood 12th September 2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatey (Post 21576)
My recently purchased MIG welder (Clarke 151EN) has got a faulty gas valve, so the torch leaks a small amount of gas, even when the trigger isnt depressed. I've ordered a new one at the grand cost of £18.85 delivered, so all is not lost :D.

Cheers
Tatey

Hi Tatey.

Can I just ask,
Is that for the compleat gun, or just the little brass jobbie inside?
Also where did you get it from?
My wife asked at Machine Mart when she collected some stuff for me.
They just told her to get it from the parts dep't.....?????

Cheers David

Tatey 12th September 2009 10:52 AM

Its just for the little brass jobbie inside (although its now aluminium/brass). If you sign up to the MIG welding forum and PM a guy called weldequip. He'll be able to sort you out. He's a clarke supplier and a really nice guy (called Steve), really seems to know his stuff.

I ordered £80.04 worth of bits, new swan neck, regulator, tips, shrouds and wire at 3pm on tues last week, and i received it next day via parcelforce. He even knocked the postage price off for me when i ask for student/armed forces discount :D

He's highly recommended on the MIG welding forum.

Simon

dogwood 12th September 2009 07:08 PM

Cheers for that mate.

I'll give him a try.

David

AshG 13th September 2009 12:02 AM

machine mart have a mail order parts department the number is on the back of the calalogue.

to be honest i wouldnt bother with them just go to weldquip on the mig welding forum. i ordered a new bit for my engine lift from machine mart and it took 2months to turn up.

dogwood 13th September 2009 10:18 AM

Oh so thats where the MM parts dep't is.

Anyway, I'm waiting for their next VAT free day.
I think I'm going to buy a new welder.

The one I got really is on it's last legs,
it'll only run a couple of mins before it overheats.
I'm going to get the new valve for it though.
I leave it in the UK for the odd jobs there.

David

PS....Any idea when Maidstone MM is having their next VAT free day ?

Tatey 16th September 2009 06:29 PM

Well i've now got the bottom rails fixed onto the build table, all of the dimensions seem to be perfect :D. I've also cut U3-U6 and nearly finished the front frame, i just need to make a jig and cut the 14 degree angle at the top, but i need my new gas valve for my MIG before i can do that.

So now its a waiting game as i dont want to cut anymore bits before i've got everything tacked together.

londonsean69 16th September 2009 08:08 PM

Quote:

My garage suddenly seems much smaller with an 8'x4' build table in the middle of it :p

Tell me about it, I've been having a really decent clearout, and moved everything I could out of the way, onto shelves etc. but when I lay down a sheet of ply in the middle it doesn't half take up some space.

I will be starting my chassis build fairly soon, off work for a couple of days next week so will be getting my order in for the steel and ally

Quote:

Although 2 steps forward, 1 step back. My recently purchased MIG welder (Clarke 151EN) has got a faulty gas valve, so the torch leaks a small amount of gas, even when the trigger isnt depressed. I've ordered a new one at the grand cost of £18.85 delivered, so all is not lost :D.

Recently purchased new or second hand??

If it was new, I would have been expecting the vendor to provide a replacement part FOC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatey (Post 21594)
If you sign up to the MIG welding forum and PM a guy called weldequip. He'll be able to sort you out. He's a clarke supplier and a really nice guy (called Steve), really seems to know his stuff.

Steve is a cracking bloke. It's who I bought my MIG (portamig) from, and he is very good at what he does (tempt me into some nice little extras:D)

Good luck with the build

Sean

Tatey 16th September 2009 08:38 PM

It was a second hand MIG, so problems were expected :p. Yeah Steve does seem to be a cracking bloke, although I've been a bit disappointed with my second purchase from him, as I ordered it on Sat and he's not sure if it was sent out today or not.

HandyAndy 16th September 2009 09:30 PM

nice one tatey, pleased to hear your build is now making progress, hope you get the gas valve soon as i,m sure your eager to get cracking on welding the chassis together:D

all the best & lets see some piccies when your main chassis is taking shape, with you sat in the drivers seat area:cool:

andy:)

Tatey 17th September 2009 09:24 PM

Well as my boredom is growing while waiting for my gas valve to arrive, i've started designing a revolver style potato cannon in 3D cad (im classing it as a uni project :D).

Me and a friend made a potato cannon last year and they work amazingly well :eek:, firing potatos atleast 100m :D. But the reload time for it is quite long, so i thought, why not design one which can hold 8 potato slugs and you pull one leaver, it puts some more fuel into the combustion chamber, move the next potato slug into position and reseals the joints between the potato holder, barrel and combustion chamber. Then you just need to pull the trigger and away you go again. Once i've finished designing it in 3d cad ill make sure to post pics of it :D

Tatey 23rd September 2009 02:34 PM

Just for an update: My gas valve arrived last week so i started practising welding and i got the hang of it quite quickly. So i then set to work tacking up the bottom chassis rails, once i'd done that i decided to flip it over to make sure it was symmetrical....it wasnt. The 2 pieces with the massive angle on them were not the same, meaning it sat slightly over to the left hand side, i got all of that sorted and it is symmetrical now.

I've tack welded the front frame together now, after reading through chris's tutorial on it a few times i managed to get it all right first time :D

I've also started tack welding the uprights onto the bottom rails, its all starting to come together now :D

HandyAndy 23rd September 2009 02:48 PM

nice one:cool:

lets have a few piccies then:D

hope you are enjoying your build.

all the best

andy

Tatey 23rd September 2009 06:45 PM

I've now finished tack welding the uprights and front frame onto the bottom chassis rails. As requested Andy, here are a few pictures (mind the mess :D):

flyerncle 23rd September 2009 07:01 PM

Looks good well done,What about the spud canon?

Tatey 23rd September 2009 07:03 PM

I've done a bit more work on it, havent got that far though, as i'm now back at uni so got a lot less time on my hands.

flyerncle 23rd September 2009 07:11 PM

Sounds very interesting !!!!!!!

HandyAndy 23rd September 2009 09:28 PM

nice one Tatey, it soon starts taking shape, have you sat in the drivers space yet ???? be honest :D :D

keep up the good work.

cheers
andy

Tatey 27th September 2009 03:00 PM

Just thought i should update you all, i've now got the basic shape of the chassis done. Heres a pic:

It really is a satisfying project and im really glad Chris made the book. Thanks Chris! :D

Oh and Andy.....Yes i have! :D

HandyAndy 27th September 2009 03:08 PM

nice work,:cool:
i think it HAS to be done :D

ps your roll bar is at the wrong end :p :D

andy

Tatey 27th September 2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 22304)
ps your roll bar is at the wrong end :p :D

Oh sh*t! I've fully welded it on :D :p

flyerncle 28th September 2009 06:28 PM

It's a bull bar Andy !!!!

HandyAndy 28th September 2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerncle (Post 22366)
It's a bull bar Andy !!!!

:D its Bull something, :o usually what i come out with anyways :D

andy

Tatey 31st October 2009 05:38 PM

Just an update for everyone. This morning i finished the transmission tunnel, i have done the tunnel before the rear section as i currently dont have the money to buy the chassis plates, hopefully i will do soon.

I took the chassis off of the build table and out of the garage with help from my dad, just so i could give the garage a quick tidy and rearrange stuff, and decide what bits i need to take the the scrap yard on monday as i got a lot of extra stuff with my donor parts.

So now that that is done i will be starting to clean up all of my donor parts and give them a nice lick of paint until i get the funds to buy the chassis plates and suspension brackets.

londonsean69 31st October 2009 05:50 PM

Looking good tatey.

The chassis plates for the rear are dead simple. Even the ones that are used as the top suspension mounts. In fact, those ones are dead easy, just a flat piece of 3mm with some careful laying out and drilling.

The hardest bit was making the rear panel round bars. I don't know any plumbers, but if you did it might make it a bit easier to get the bars bent.

I resorted to cutting loads of 1mm slits then bending to suit. A few beads of weld along the inside once bent, and they will be hidden by the rear panel anyway

HandyAndy 31st October 2009 07:56 PM

well done Tatey, i,d put a bet on that you or your dad sat in the chassis with 1 arm on the side rail & other hand holding the imaginary gear stick?????:D :p :cool:

keep at it mate

andy

Tatey 31st October 2009 08:10 PM

How long did it take to make the chassis plates? Also what did you use to make them? Finally what dimensions was the steel plate you used and how much did it cost you?

The cheaper i can make them then the sooner i can do it :D

Also what components have people painted and what paints have you's used? The things i can see being painted are:

Drum Brakes
Brake Calipers
Engine
Gearbox
Diff
Driveshafts

Quote:

well done Tatey, i,d put a bet on that you or your dad sat in the chassis with 1 arm on the side rail & other hand holding the imaginary gear stick?????
Possibly :D :p

londonsean69 31st October 2009 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatey (Post 24126)
How long did it take to make the chassis plates? Also what did you use to make them? Finally what dimensions was the steel plate you used and how much did it cost you?

If you look at the dimensions of what you need, a lot of the plates can actually be cut from 40x3mm flat strip, and a bit of 50x3. There are obviously some other parts that need cutting from a decent sized bit of plate.

The 40x3mm strip was not that expensive, although it would have been a lot cheaper if I bought a full length (I was buying 2m packs off ebay).

I made them over a few months. I don't have a donor, so just started making various bits as and when.

If I were to do them again (and I have no idea why I didn't do it this time) I would print all plans full size (after drawing in CAD) and then use as templates.

For the larger pieces of plate (area wise) I managed to get a 600x1200 piece of 3mm rusty steel from a fabricators I was visiting for work. I still have a bit of it left, and the only thing left to cut is the pedal box.

I bought the 10mm bits for the rear uprights from 3GE (excellent quality) as I didn't fancy cutting that myself.

the 5mm for the diff plates was from ebay (was real fun cutting that!!)

Cheapest is not always best, but for a lot of the plates, if you have time, cutting them yourself is the way forwards.

3GE offer great parts, at a price to match.

If you are capable of measuring, marking, and cutting rails for the chassis, then the chassis plates should be no real hurdle for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatey (Post 24126)
Also what components have people painted and what paints have you's used? The things i can see being painted are:

Drum Brakes
Brake Calipers
Engine
Gearbox
Diff
Driveshafts

Possibly :D :p

I have painted (in either black or silver, with 2 coats of primer and 2 top coats)

Diff
Drive shafts
Front uprights
Rear uprights/hubs
Steering rack
Steering column
Prop shaft
etc.

Basically, anything that could get painted was

Tatey 31st October 2009 08:51 PM

I have to say that i hadn't actually looked into the chassis plates that much as i assumed they'd be difficult to make, but after your post i immediately went outside and got my build book and i do have to say that they dont look that hard to make. I'll be ringing up my steel supplier on monday morning to get a quote for the 40x3mm flat bar to start me off.

I've just worked out that i'll need 3.404m of 40x3mm flat bar to do the following bits:

CP1 x 2
CP2 x 2
CP8 x 2
CP9 x 2
CP12 x 1
CP13 x 1
CP15 x 2
CP18 x 4
CP21 x 1
CP22 x 2
CP23 x 4
Front Suspension Jig (Lower)

That should keep me busy for a while :D

HandyAndy 31st October 2009 09:01 PM

Tatey..... you need 2 CP15,s & 4 CP18 ;) i,d hate for you to order the wrong amount of steel & only realise it when your steering support frame only has 1 support or that you might struggle to pass IVA with only having 1 seatbelt mounting :D :D :p

just teasing you.

as you know from your visits to my garage i made all my own CP plates .

again , well done on your build progress.

cheers
andy

Tatey 31st October 2009 09:37 PM

Thanks for that Andy. The book doesnt state in the back that i need multiples of them. I think the minimum length of flat bar that i can order is 6m anyway so i should have plenty of material left for some retries :p :D

londonsean69 1st November 2009 05:51 PM

Don't forget 2No. CP 24 (from 25x3mm)

Tatey 1st November 2009 05:51 PM

Right i think i have it cracked now. I've worked out that i need the following:

25mm x 3mm Flat Bar:

CP24 = 89 x 1
SS1 = 449 x 1
Front Suspension Bracket = 360 x 2 + 2 x 40 + .....

30mm x 3mm Flat Bar:

CP19 x 1
CP20 x 1
CP21 x 1
Front Suspension Jig (Upper)

Total Length:

40mm x 3mm Flat Bar:

CP1 x 2
CP2 x 2
CP8 x 2
CP9 x 2
CP12 x 1
CP13 x 1
CP15 x 2
CP18 x 4
CP21 x 1
CP22 x 2
CP23 x 4
Front Suspension Jig (Lower)

Total Length: 3.62m

50mm x 3mm Flat Bar:

CP10 x 2
CP14 x 1
GM1 x 1
GM2 x 1

Total Length:

3mm Plate:

CP3 x 1
CP4 x 1
CP5 x 2
CP6 x 2
CP7 x 2
CP11 x 2
CP16 x 1
CP17 x 1
CP25 x 2
EM1 x 2
EM2 x 2
EM3 x 2
EM4 x 2

Total Area Required: 0.470m^2 (Rough Area)

andyp 1st November 2009 07:59 PM

from carter steel in stockton i got a length(6.5 meters i think) of 40x3 for under a tenner to give an idea of the price

Tatey 2nd November 2009 09:55 AM

Just rang my local supplier (i got all of my chassis steel from them for £100) and they quoted me £25 for 1 6m length of 40x3mm flat bar :eek: . I gave Franklin steel a ring and they quoted me £12, so im going to pick it up in 30 mins.

Bonzo 2nd November 2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatey (Post 24237)
Just rang my local supplier (i got all of my chassis steel from them for £100) and they quoted me £25 for 1 6m length of 40x3mm flat bar :eek: . I gave Franklin steel a ring and they quoted me £12, so im going to pick it up in 30 mins.

I think they may have quoted you for Bright mild 40X3 flat :confused: :confused:

Never paid much more than £6 a length for 40x3 Mild steel flat ;)

Tatey 2nd November 2009 12:52 PM

Well you live and learn eh, i'll shop around next time before i buy my steel.