Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General discussion (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   One year old... (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4728)

alga 1st August 2010 09:21 PM

Alga's build (was: One year old...)

So, my build turned one year old this week... I bought the steel on the 29 July 2009. During the year I've spent over 230 hours fabbing the chassis, suspension and tearing down the donor, and countless more hours procrastinating on this forum :-). I've spent over 720 pounds on parts and materials (excluding the welder and other tools, a healthy 800 quid more).
I've run out of steam somewhat and have been spending a bit less time on the project since the first half year.

Here is a quick review of my achievements so far.

I have a chassis with all of the welding finished, suspension, rad mounts, etc. done:

The Zetec 2.0 engine and Type 9 gearbox are sat in place:

alga 1st August 2010 09:23 PM

I bought a tired Sierra with the front already ripped. You can imagine how my wife was happy with this sight outside during most of the winter.

Had some fun tearing it down in -10°C temps this past winter. Not too bad when all the rusted suspension nuts keep you constantly working hard.

Eventually I scrapped the shell and got some beer money after the VAT, transport and deregistration costs were counted out

Initially I though of using the Pinto that came with Sierra

but later I was persuaded to use a Zetec. Either with standard pre-PATS ECU or MegaSquirt (I'm looking forward to all the soldering, electronics are fun)

alga 1st August 2010 09:24 PM

I have the suspension bits all fabricated, primed and painted by now.

And here's me working on the rear upright jig sometime in the spring, with a silly "Zappa" beard style. Good job beards grow back pretty fast :)

So there, happy birthday, my roadster!

alga 1st August 2010 09:34 PM

Oh, I had some fun with electrolysis on the front hubs and rear drums, too!

The driveshafts are still filthy, and they need to get clean pretty quick if I want to get to the rolling chassis stage!

HandyAndy 2nd August 2010 07:24 PM

Looking nice Albert :cool:

get it on wheels & you,ll be amazed how much motivation it gives you ;)

I noticed one thing wrong tho.................the steering wheel is on the wrong side :p :D

Keep at it , look forward to the pics showing a rolling chassis.

cheers
andy

alga 7th August 2010 11:31 PM

Yeah, yeah. :) I've been looking at so many build pics on this forum that I almost welded in the steering support on the right.

aerosam 8th August 2010 09:09 AM

Just looking back at my blog, it seems I started mine 2 years and 4 months ago, and I'm still not finished!

Keep going Alga - looks like you are working to a really good standard - keep it up!

carlknight1982 8th August 2010 11:40 AM

I wouldnt worry guys I'm 3 years in and still not as far along as either of you!

mind you I made some daft decisions at the start with various things and have had 2 house moves a job change and a divorce to deal with so i dont worry to much, lol im still building to strip down again i didnt want to get the chassis powdercoated till all the holes were drilled and all the brackets welded

alga 5th September 2010 11:34 AM

She's a roller!

Bonzo 5th September 2010 12:03 PM

That is looking great Albert :cool:

A huge moment of the build that's for sure :)
Still remember the day I rolled my chassis out of the workshop for the first time .... Wheels certainly seem to bring the chassis to life.

Looks like your little ones are having great fun :)

Keep up the great work, I love to see builds making progress :cool: