Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Floor (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1172)

Jimmyd 23rd November 2008 08:29 AM

Floor

Given that I just happen to have a sheet of 2mm mild steel I was going to use it for my floor. Given the thickness and the fact it'll be fully welded would it be sensible to bolt seats to it? Using good sized washers or small plates to spread the load.

J

frankie boy 23rd November 2008 09:46 AM

HI Jimmy
That’s how I did my car. I stitched wielded round the floor to stop it from distorting. Bolted the seat to that with large washers. No problem with SVA.

Jimmyd 23rd November 2008 11:31 AM

Thanks Frankie. Just what I wanted to hear!!!

J

adrianreeve 23rd November 2008 06:47 PM

Been wondering about this aswell. If you use ali for the floor, is it OK to just bolt seats to the ali if you use big washers? Seems to me that in the event of an accident, they would just tear?

What does everyone think?

Adrian

Chris Gibbs 23rd November 2008 07:05 PM

My advice would be that if you're going to use ali I would weld in some 40 x 3mm steel trip to take the seat mountings, from the outside of the chassis to the transmission tunnel. There have been SVA failures when the tester believes that aluminium isn't sufficiently strong.

If you're using ali, bond the floor in place with polyurethane adhesive/sealant (Sikaflex or similar) as well as riveting, it all helps the chassis strength.

Cheers

Chris :)

MikeB 24th November 2008 12:59 PM

I have ali riveted and bonded floor and will be using the technique chris describes.

However do the bolt heads protude under the car? or is there a nother way?

flyerncle 24th November 2008 05:10 PM

A little heavier,What about 2 strips of 25x25 or 25x50 across between the chassis rails and bolt to that, surely they could not knock that back and it would be very strong.
Gives rigidity and a bit more side impact protection.

Thoughts on this one....

Cheers all

Flyer

MCD 24th November 2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerncle (Post 7709)
A little heavier,What about 2 strips of 25x25 or 25x50 across between the chassis rails and bolt to that, surely they could not knock that back and it would be very strong.
Gives rigidity and a bit more side impact protection.

Thoughts on this one....

Cheers all

Flyer

thats what i intend doing next week when my subframes arrive for the bucket seats. 2 x 25x50mm rails between the outer chassis rail and the prop tunnel...all ali floor to save weight bonded and rivited

UncleFista 24th November 2008 06:31 PM

If I was building again, it'd be an ally floor for me.

The gap between chassis and steel floor is a lovely rust trap >:( even powdercoated. I reckon powdercoating the chassis, then fitting an ally floor would stop any rust.

On my car, rust has got hold right at the back of the floor, just in front of the axle. Rust is pushing the floor away from the chassis in between "stitched) welds. With it being welded it's not an easy job to remove, clean up and replace either ;(

les g 24th November 2008 07:21 PM

visitors to the 3ge stand at Exeter show might have also have spotted that they had put in some extra box sections for seat mounting :D
as for sealing the floor schultz is really good and what do people think of putting in a couple of strategicly placed drainholes
les g