Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General discussion (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Finding a garage for the build. (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4293)

David_17 18th May 2010 06:14 PM

Finding a garage for the build.

Right. I've started looking for a garage to do my build, i've decided to post letters through some oap's doors (don't have cars) to see if they'll let me use theirs.

Do you all think this sounds reasonable? and would you add/change any of it??

Cheers...

"Hello.

I’m currently looking for a local garage to rent for building a kit car. The car will be built from scratch, so the garage would be used to store the parts, construct the chassis and fix it all together. It would be needed for quite a long period of time (a few months to a year, possibly more) - working in it on evenings and weekends (noise will be minimal). I’d be willing to pay weekly, monthly or however else you’d prefer.

The only requirement I’d need would be access to electricity (which most garages have anyway), and of course I’d pay towards this as part of the rental cost.

If you’re interested, or know of anyone else who may be able to help, please get in touch.

Many thanks.

David

Mob: ...
Email: ...

gingea1pom 18th May 2010 06:28 PM

David,

I think you are pretty well on the money there, hopefully with the current economic climate you will get some garage offers.

I would be open with them reference the noise bit. I know when I am cutting 5mm steel plate then grinding it to shape it is quite noisy. Also agree access up front, the old couple could be calling the police if you tip up to the garage at 11.30pm un-announced.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers Ginge

David_17 18th May 2010 06:30 PM

Yea, good point about the access bit.

As for the noise, i can do the chopping at home, it just isn't big enough for building.

David_17 19th May 2010 09:41 AM

Also, what's a reasoable price to pay for rent?

Tatey 19th May 2010 09:52 AM

All depends how big the garage is, how close to you it is, what the security is like, what the area is like and what the access is like. Personally I wouldn't pay more than £50 a month for a single garage with an up and over door in a reasonable area and only a few miles away.

spud69 19th May 2010 10:14 AM

Hi David,

I believe you're over in Redcar and we are based in Hartlepool, 25 miles, maybe able to discuss something. Would be nice to assist with knowledge and tools to help get another car on the road.

Might be room available.

pm or call if you like.

Regards....AndyH

David_17 19th May 2010 10:33 AM

you have PM ;)

tigmatt 19th May 2010 10:53 AM

I built my chassis in a 10ftx12ft wooden shed and it wasnt to much of a squeeze had about a 1ft of room all round the build table and i used underneath the build table for storage.

twinturbo 19th May 2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spud69 (Post 38418)
Hi David,

I believe you're over in Redcar and we are based in Hartlepool, 25 miles, maybe able to discuss something. Would be nice to assist with knowledge and tools to help get another car on the road.

Might be room available.

pm or call if you like.

Regards....AndyH

Now that realy is going the extra mile for the customers ;)

TT

David_17 19th May 2010 06:53 PM

Well after a trip up to Saturn this afternoon, i'm even more eager to find a garage - so spent the rest of my afternoon posting letters through people's doors ;)

I'd just like to say a big thanks to Andy for the cuppa and drive out, it was incredible :D

Hopefully within the next few weeks i'll have somewhere to build and i'll be ordering my first batch of gear from the guys in hartlepool. :)

Thanks once again.

Dave