Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Engine/transmission (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Zetec and IVa (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3837)

Russ_16v 11th March 2010 05:30 PM

Zetec and IVa

Hey guys,

Hope you might be able to help, my build is going to be a fairly long term project, due to the limited anount of time i will have to spend on it, and because of this, iv been researching on here about engine options.

I am liking the (much tried) Zetec route. Its not the most exiting option, but im after reliablilty and a good shove of power which is why im prefering this over a Pinto.

But my question is this:

I have got the impression that a Pinto is a lot easier to get through the emissions on the IVA.

I am planning on going on a Q plate if this makes a difference, but what i would like to do is get the engine i will be keeping in the car, i dont really fancy spending all the time and effort fitting a Pinto, to then have it back in my garage swapping to a Zetec, as due to the time i will be spending it would take me a little while to do so.

So are Zetecs as hard as im thinking to pass the IVA?

I will be going with a pre 95 so no cat or ecu to worry about, so most probably the bike carb route will be taken, as it seems fairly well priced.

Would a bike carb'd Zetec have trouble with an IVA regarding emissions?

Many thanks in advance

jasongray5 11th March 2010 06:12 PM

it depends what year zetec engine you go for, if its a pre-august '95 engine, then emmissions are more or less a doddle. Post 95 and you will be needing all sorts of stuff like catalytic convertors and stuff.... i think

Russ_16v 11th March 2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasongray5 (Post 33794)
it depends what year zetec engine you go for, if its a pre-august '95 engine, then emmissions are more or less a doddle. Post 95 and you will be needing all sorts of stuff like catalytic convertors and stuff.... i think

Yes, i will be going for a pre 95 engine

AshG 11th March 2010 07:00 PM

sorry to ruin your day but its pre 92 not 95. the only way you can get away with a 92-95 engine on pre 92 emissions limits (CO3.5% HC1200ppm) is if you can prove the car that it come out of, didnt come with a cat. for this you will either need evidence in the form of a recognised publication or a letter from ford tech

Russ_16v 11th March 2010 07:24 PM

ok,so if its a 92-95 engine, does that mean im going to have a nightmare with emissions?

AshG 11th March 2010 07:31 PM

your fine as long as you can prove that the car it come out of didnt have a cat.

Russ_16v 11th March 2010 07:36 PM

Ok mate thanks, and if it has come out of a cat equipped car, then i will have to fit a cat im guessing?

AshG 11th March 2010 07:41 PM

you got it.

download the iva manual its in section 02B page 8 of 14

Russ_16v 11th March 2010 07:49 PM

Iv just been reading it matey thank you :)

Did they make a 2.0 Zetec before 92? im pretty sure they didnt (RS2000 exl)

twinturbo 11th March 2010 08:04 PM

There is no requirement at all to have a CAT fitted.

Just a requirement to pass the emissions test at that level.

But that's very difficult without a CAT .

TT