Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Engine/transmission (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Clutch Cable Linkage - Pedal Box End (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3705)

Spikehaus 20th February 2010 03:18 PM

Clutch Cable Linkage - Pedal Box End

Help Please................

I have spent the last four hours playing around with the original Sierra XR4x4 clutch cable. I have made a small roller to help gain adequate travel on the clutch pedal, however to gain the 30 mm movement required on the fork arm it is causing the pedal to be in an un-drivable position.

Does anyone have any photos of how they have connected it???

I will upload the photo of what I have done onto flicker - linky below

ozzy1 20th February 2010 03:49 PM

Would it not be feasable to remake the clutch pedal with a curve on it to give the necessary clearance/travel to put it in a more natural position? just a thought?

twinturbo 20th February 2010 03:56 PM

Is this a common problem? the 4x4 cable is not different in it's fittings than any other sierra clutch cable.

TT

Spikehaus 20th February 2010 04:25 PM

I have been thinking about remaking the clutch pedal, however was hoping for some info before I end up with 10 different versions!

drury318 20th February 2010 07:38 PM

I just bought an old stock capri cable from ebay, nice and short and with an eyeley already on the pedal end, its also adjustable.
Dennis

DaddyA 20th February 2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drury318 (Post 32067)
I just bought an old stock capri cable from ebay, nice and short and with an eyeley already on the pedal end, its also adjustable.
Dennis

Hi Spike,

did the same as well. Seems ok, not tried engaging with engine running yet though?

Bonzo 20th February 2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drury318 (Post 32067)
Dennis

Me to Nick :)

As with Daz, not tried it with the engine running yet.

Quite happy to send it up to you so as you can try before you buy ;) :) :)

DaddyA 20th February 2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 32075)
Me to Nick :)

As with Daz, not tried it with the engine running yet.

Quite happy to send it up to you so as you can try before you buy ;) :) :)

Nick,

If you want to try it, i'll whip mine off and you can try it - save Bonzo posting.

AshG 20th February 2010 09:21 PM

i used a 1.3 capri cable works lovely and is nice and short.

snapper 21st February 2010 08:12 AM

The difference in some of the clutch cables is the length of the outer cable cover relative to the inner cable, if the outer cover is to short you will have some difficulty getting the action you want.
You can simply add some packing, round tube welded to the pedal box or washers to play with the correct length, to effectivelly extend the outer cover length.
You can do this at the gearbox end but beware of the cable chaffing.