Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   LIMITED OFFER: Roadster Chassis £645 inc. VAT (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1662)

clydeautomarine 11th March 2009 12:10 AM

LIMITED OFFER: Roadster Chassis £645 inc. VAT

LIMITED OFFER: Haynes Roadster chassis - £645.00 inc VAT

That's right folks, as you may have seen on Locostbuilders we're now building Haynes Roadster chassis' and offering them at a highly competitive, credit-crunching £645.00 inc. VAT.

These chassis' are TIG welded to the very highest standards and accuracy on a steel production jig table, by professional, coded welders.

Part-finished:

Rear end work in progress:

You cannot get quality like this for this price! Which is why it's a limited, introductory offer so get in quick.

This price will apply to the first 20 orders received with deposits (30%).

Look out for our other offers on suspension and GRP components.

drury318 11th March 2009 10:42 AM

Before you go any further I think you may have one of the tubes in the wrong place?? One of the uprights??

clydeautomarine 11th March 2009 11:05 AM

Could you kindly point it out, please?

Thanks,
Steve.

deezee 11th March 2009 11:11 AM

I'm guessing he's referring to the one that makes up the drivers footwell. The two uprights are in different positions, as the drivers footwell is a little wider for the pedal box.

I don't have the book to hand, so I don't know the tube name.

EDIT: I added the photo of my chassis for clarity. Both items circled

clydeautomarine 11th March 2009 11:33 AM

Yep, we moved that. The photo's an early one; the chassis should be 99% complete by Sunday (15/03/09) so there will an updated photo of it posted at that point (with all the detrious cleared from the jig table!).

Thanks,
Steve.

mark smith 12th March 2009 07:19 PM

it might sounds stupid but if you are trying to sell these as top quality, shouldn't you make sure everything is right before you put up a post

Bonzo 12th March 2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark smith (Post 11916)
it might sounds stupid but if you are trying to sell these as top quality, shouldn't you make sure everything is right before you put up a post

Agreed. ;)

A good tidy up in the production area would portray a more professional image too :confused:

Kettle calling the pot black. Yes for shure. My working environment is an absolute pig sty. :o

On the other hand, I am not offering my services to paying customers. ;)

MightyMouth 12th March 2009 07:58 PM

If you would have posted this 2 weeks ago you would have had an order from me. Maybe on my second car. :)

clydeautomarine 12th March 2009 08:21 PM

Well, we got slated for NOT having a photo so I guess we can't win.

I'm happy to let the quality of our product do the talking and a lot less concerned about a brief snap-shot of a busy workshop.

Spikehaus 12th March 2009 09:04 PM

Ha Ha,

We are an eclectic bunch and small community on the Haynes Forum, unlike the Locost site. I bet if we put all the finished Haynes Roadsters in one place we may be hard pushed to fill a the Torpoint Ferry and still have room to play 5 a side football! LOL

Good luck breaking into the market, but you have some stiff competition! Sure a few of us have been looked after by 3g

jasongray5 12th March 2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydeautomarine (Post 11920)
Well, we got slated for NOT having a photo so I guess we can't win.

I'm happy to let the quality of our product do the talking and a lot less concerned about a brief snap-shot of a busy workshop.

To be fair, I think people were only trying to be helpfull...?

Bonzo 12th March 2009 10:21 PM

Certainly no offence meant on my part. :o :o

Here in the West country, we are lucky enough to have two of the best companies in todays market. :)

mr henderson 16th July 2009 05:50 PM

So where's the pictures (of the finished chassis) then?

AshG 17th July 2009 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr henderson (Post 17916)
So where's the pictures (of the finished chassis) then?

stop stiring you :D

mr henderson 17th July 2009 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshG (Post 17967)
stop stiring you :D

Is there some kind of story attached to this offer then? If so I was absolutely unaware of it, and would be interested to know what is going on.

I must say that the price is a little on the low side, and if VAT is coming out of it as well (there being very litle input VAT to reclaim on a price that is at least 75% labour) then I'm would not be surprised if he or they had decided not to go ahead.

The TIG welding wouldn't be helping the profit figures either.

Anyway, if there is a story then I am all ears

clydeautomarine 7th August 2009 06:08 PM

Finished chassis (this is no.2 just out of powder coating):

Please direct enquiries via PM or e-mail (quicker response).

Please note that the original offer at the head of this thread has now expired.

Steve.

fabbyglass 7th August 2009 06:09 PM

Funny old game "kit cars" and the folk involved are even funnier I know cos I'm one weird git.:confused:

fabbyglass 7th August 2009 06:10 PM

Wahey they look alright:cool: are they tig welded?

clydeautomarine 7th August 2009 06:21 PM

85% of the welds are TIG'd - unfortunately we couldn't do all of them due to access in certain areas of the chassis.

mr henderson 7th August 2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydeautomarine (Post 19545)

Please note that the original offer at the head of this thread has now expired.

So what's the new price then?

clydeautomarine 7th August 2009 06:48 PM

£850 + vat & delivery

Price includes powder coating

Talonmotorsport 7th August 2009 06:49 PM

was just going to ask that myself...

mr henderson 7th August 2009 07:01 PM

Have you already sold 20 then (at the offer price) ? I can't imagine them flying out the door at £332.50 more.

clydeautomarine 7th August 2009 07:14 PM

The offer was limited. It's duration was open ended and would terminate at our discretion. It has now terminated because at that incredible price, it wasn't sustainable.

Now that we have production jigs we can turn an order around fairly quickly (within 4 weeks from date of order).

HandyAndy 7th August 2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydeautomarine (Post 19548)
85% of the welds are TIG'd - unfortunately we couldn't do all of them due to access in certain areas of the chassis.

your chassis,s look very nice indeed,:cool:
may i ask..... the colour of powder coating, is white the colour you,ll be supplying them in or are those 2 chassis,s colour a customer request?

they look white on my screen, tho maybe they are silver?

cheers
andy

clydeautomarine 7th August 2009 07:42 PM

Powder coating can be any colour you require, providing it's stocked. Those chassis' are white to customer spec'. Both were just out of the oven, I'll get better pic's posted later next week.

HandyAndy 7th August 2009 07:50 PM

they do look very smart,
nice one :cool:

the more Roadsters on the road the better.

cheers
andy:)

mr henderson 7th August 2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 19561)

the more Roadsters on the road the better.

I think for that to happen what is needed is people to sell a complete kit, just buying a chassis still leaves people with the problem of where to buy the other bits- wishbones, rollover bar, uprights etc.

The secret of selling is not to give customers problems such as where to buy all the other bits, but to take the problems away, in exchange for their money.

clydeautomarine 7th August 2009 08:15 PM

We do all the bodywork and suspension too.

Our web-site will carry more details of this shortly, but we've been selling arches and nose cones for this quite successfully for quite a few months now (on EBAY).

mr henderson 7th August 2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydeautomarine (Post 19566)
We do all the bodywork and suspension too.

Our web-site will carry more details of this shortly, but we've been selling arches and nose cones for this quite successfully for quite a few months now (on EBAY).

You should put in some links- to the website and the ebay stuff. I had a quick look on ebay just now and couldn't find you (under body parts in the kit car parts section)

HandyAndy 7th August 2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr henderson (Post 19565)
I think for that to happen what is needed is people to sell a complete kit, just buying a chassis still leaves people with the problem of where to buy the other bits- wishbones, rollover bar, uprights etc.

The secret of selling is not to give customers problems such as where to buy all the other bits, but to take the problems away, in exchange for their money.

thats one of the MAIN thoughts behind my venture, i wanted to be able to offer a kit that pretty much made it easier for a new (maybe inexperienced )
builder the chance to build a Roadster.

basically to be able to buy a either a full donor or parts & to get their Roadster to the "rolling" stage quite quickly & easily.

i do wish Clydeautomarine the very best of success in the Roadster "world",
& that is said sincerely.:)

cheers
andy

mr henderson 7th August 2009 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 19569)
thats one of the MAIN thoughts behind my venture, i wanted to be able to offer a kit that pretty much made it easier for a new (maybe inexperienced )
builder the chance to build a Roadster.

basically to be able to buy a either a full donor or parts & to get their Roadster to the "rolling" stage quite quickly & easily.

i do wish Clydeautomarine the very best of success in the Roadster "world",
& that is said sincerely.:)

cheers
andy

Will you be offering a rollover bar as well? Reason I ask is I don't know of anyone offering one so the customer is still going to have a problem, and unless someone does offer one, they aren't going to be able to finish the car.

HandyAndy 7th August 2009 08:41 PM

i don,t wish to Hijack clydeautomarine,s thread,

but i,m in the process of arranging a supplier of the main roll hoop at the moment,

cheers
andy:)

RAYLEE29 7th August 2009 08:48 PM

How much is your chassis going to be john?
Ray:)

mr henderson 7th August 2009 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAYLEE29 (Post 19575)
How much is your chassis going to be john?

Do you mean me? I'm not planning to offer one, there would be little point when Andy is supplying at such good prices, and as I said before, I am more likely to be a buyer than a seller. Pretty busy with the kitfinishing at the moment, though.

RAYLEE29 7th August 2009 11:17 PM

Sorry John but i am confused as you posted a thread which said and i quote:
Having gone to all this trouble, and having become recently aware of the difficulty in obtaining a ready-made chassis, I am now wondering if I should offer ready-made chassis to others. In order to know how much to ask, though, I have to know just what I am going to be supplying, in other words, just what is a complete chassis?
This was copied and pasted from a previous post. My question was a genuine one as you had said you were going to do this yourself and i was wondering what prices people actually charge in different areas and if there is a market and good profit margin in making chassis and selling them on.
I have already said on here that I was thinking of offering chassis and parts for sale myself and now i can see there seems to be at least 3 different people offering chassis at varying prices and states of completion from a little over £300 to nearly a grand but still noone in the south west. you come across as being very knowledgable about the profit margin available so that is why i asked what you would be charging

AshG 7th August 2009 11:40 PM

sorry to chuck a spaner in the works but your engine mounts are wrong. they should be set square. will post a picture up in the moning to show what i mean.

RAYLEE29 7th August 2009 11:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
something like this
not exactly to the book but similar:)

mr henderson 8th August 2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAYLEE29 (Post 19595)
Sorry John but i am confused as you posted a thread which said and i quote:
Having gone to all this trouble, and having become recently aware of the difficulty in obtaining a ready-made chassis, I am now wondering if I should offer ready-made chassis to others. In order to know how much to ask, though, I have to know just what I am going to be supplying, in other words, just what is a complete chassis?
This was copied and pasted from a previous post. My question was a genuine one as you had said you were going to do this yourself and i was wondering what prices people actually charge in different areas and if there is a market and good profit margin in making chassis and selling them on.
I have already said on here that I was thinking of offering chassis and parts for sale myself and now i can see there seems to be at least 3 different people offering chassis at varying prices and states of completion from a little over £300 to nearly a grand but still noone in the south west. you come across as being very knowledgable about the profit margin available so that is why i asked what you would be charging

Indeed, but I did also say

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr henderson (Post 19526)

Oh, and by the way, if anyone knows of somebody who is already selling a complete chassis (and which is available within a reasonable length of time) I would be very interested, and would simply buy one and cancel my own chassis-making plans and get on with my car building plans.

and that's what I've done, I've cancellled my own chassis making plans and am getting on with my car building plans.

In my case the profit margin wasn't going to be so good as I would need to get a skilled welder in to do the final welding, and in any case chassis making alongside customer car assembly isn't ideal, there's the need to keep grinding dust etc away from the other cars.

It just depends on the set-up. I am paying quite a reasonable amount of rent for quite a big workshop and am able to get as many cars as I want to work on at £18 an hour (which helps to cover the rent and other costs). I doubt I could match that on chassis making at prices that would compete with HandyAndy's.

If I wasn't so busy with customer cars I would have already placed an order with him.

Talonmotorsport 8th August 2009 08:30 AM

If any body on here is looking to buy a chassis I can supply a basic chassis with transmission tunnel,suspension mounts,full wish bone set less bushes, engine mounts,seat belt anchors,stearing collumn and rack mounts for £650.
Delivery or collection 10 days after 20% deposit paid.
As for any body selling any thing on ebay the very best of luck to you.