Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Bodywork and interior (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cyclewing Positioning, (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12598)

twinturbo 7th April 2013 08:58 PM

Cyclewing Positioning,

Can someone remind me of the positioning ( area to be covered. ) for the front cycle wings.

Cheers

TT

Stot 7th April 2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 89533)
Can someone remind me of the positioning ( area to be covered. ) for the front cycle wings.

Cheers

TT

It must cover the whole tread from 30 degrees front, 50 degrees rear and the arch must stop no more than 150mm above the center of the wheel.

Don't think anyone knows if clam shells will make it through for sure so I was roughing it out. My thought is they would fail on the 150mm thing.

Cheers
Stot

skov 12th April 2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 89534)

Don't think anyone knows if clam shells will make it through for sure so I was roughing it out. My thought is they would fail on the 150mm thing.

Cheers
Stot

They only need to meet the 150mm thing at the rear of the wheel, so I would have thought your clam shells would be fine provided they meet the 30 degrees at the front.

skov 13th April 2013 10:50 AM

On a related note, how much clearance are folks leaving between the front cycle wings and the tyres?

Stot 13th April 2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skov (Post 89638)
They only need to meet the 150mm thing at the rear of the wheel, so I would have thought your clam shells would be fine provided they meet the 30 degrees at the front.

The thing im not sure about is that it says the arch must not end more than 150mm from the centre of the wheel, which the clam doesnt, but if the wing has to cover the whole tread up to this point, the clam doesnt as it tapers in.

Cheers
Stot

Johno 13th April 2013 07:40 PM

Perhaps you should go cycle wings for SVA and then change to clams after to be sure.;)

Stot 13th April 2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johno (Post 89652)
Perhaps you should go cycle wings for SVA and then change to clams after to be sure.;)

I was actually thinking of fitting the clams, and beg a borrow of a set of cycles to take along with me. I'm sure if the clams failed they wouldn't mind me bolting the cycles on while I'm there, even if fitted under the clams they should still pass.

Cheers
Stot

skov 13th April 2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 89650)
The thing im not sure about is that it says the arch must not end more than 150mm from the centre of the wheel, which the clam doesnt, but if the wing has to cover the whole tread up to this point, the clam doesnt as it tapers in.

Cheers
Stot

No, it says it "must not end above a horizontal plane of 150mm above the wheel centre".
So it can terminate as far from the wheel as you like provided it ends below that horizontal line (the purple one).

The manual also says "The rear part of the mudguard after the required 50° to where it terminates does not have to cover the full breadth of the tyre".

So it only needs to cover the whole width of the tyre between the 30° and 50° lines, after that it can taper in.

Stot 14th April 2013 09:43 AM

Hopefully the taper starts after 50 degrees then. When I'm at that stage ill update.

Cheers
Stot