Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Engine/transmission (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   couple of questins about engine height and sump (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4410)

dan_g8 5th June 2010 05:55 PM

couple of questins about engine height and sump

2 Attachment(s)
Right i have just spent the morning playing with my engine trying to get it in the correct position. there is really no room to move it!

first question is, what is the maximum hight the the engine can be above the top rails in order to allow for the bonnet? it currently sits about 15 inches above the top rail. this is without the sump being modified.

my next question is, my sump is 5.5 inches deep, if i have to modify it for the bonnet will i have make the sump wider to increase its volume to match the existing volume? im planning on fitting a oil cooler/ oil catch tank will it be ok to have these or will i still need to increase the sumps volume?

oh yeah, my engine is 3.5 ltr rover v8.

i will probably be using the saturn grp body if it helps.

thanks.

gingea1pom 5th June 2010 06:09 PM

I’m not going to be much help with your questions however might I say what a beast of an engine.:eek:

That cant have been easy to have shoe horned in there looking good:D

Cheers Ginge

dan_g8 5th June 2010 06:19 PM

it was a mission to get it in there, knew that it would be tight but wasnt expecting to to be that tight! had to install the gearbox first and then the engine would only fit in with the oil filter removed!

Not looking forward to removing and re installing it after i paiont the chassis next week!

gingea1pom 5th June 2010 06:21 PM

Good luck Dan, it will be a beast and something to behold once finished:eek: :D

Cheers Ginge

Davey 5th June 2010 06:37 PM

WTF?

What engine is it? Seems to be all hoses and pulleys from the photos.

D.

dan_g8 5th June 2010 06:39 PM

its a 3.5 ltr rover v8 which is injected rather than carbed ......

Headshot 5th June 2010 07:50 PM

Apparently you can get a "winged" sump for these engines which lowers the depth but keeps the volume.
Not sure who makes them (only remember as a friend put the 4.6 in a Mini pick up years ago :eek: )

dan_g8 5th June 2010 08:48 PM

thanks headshot ill have a look on the net, hopefully someone will come along and spill the beans on how high the engine can be so that i dont buy/make one that is still too tall

onedayTM 5th June 2010 10:24 PM

Hi dan, what a lump, that should a nice ride. Although I am nowhere near seeing a engine in mine, but you probably need to mock up the scuttle height and also the nosecone and then run some masking tape bewteen them and that will give a line to work around. You will then see what clearance you have and whether you need to cut bonnet! If you dont have these yet you will need dimensions of someone and maybe mock up in wood .
tony

gingea1pom 6th June 2010 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_g8 (Post 39653)
thanks headshot ill have a look on the net, hopefully someone will come along and spill the beans on how high the engine can be so that i dont buy/make one that is still too tall

Dan,

Check out this post the PDF should have the info you are after, if not give us a shout and I will search some more.:D

Hope it helps

Cheers Ginge