Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Engine/transmission (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Engine Choice (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1853)

Broekens 25th April 2009 12:24 PM

Engine Choice

Hi,

I think I'm going to reconsider my engine choice. I'd like to have the following specs for my engine:
-150-200 hp
-Being light for the performance it kicks out.
-Besides being very quick, it has to be a bit relaxing on long highway cruises, the car is going to be my daily driver!
-Relatively low fuel consumption for the power it kicks out.
-And the most important of all: I don't want to spend more than 1000 euro's on basic donor parts.
So I considered the following options:
-BMW M50
-BMW M52
-Cosworth BOA
-A bike engine?
-Rover V8
I'd like to know what would be the best engine for powering my car. Maybe you have some other engines which would be suitable for my build. I'm pleased to hear your comments..

Greetings

fabbyglass 25th April 2009 12:44 PM

The engine that comes free with the Sierra would be the cheapest option. Using a bike engine in a daily driver would prove to be expensive as you just won't be able to drive it slow.....:D

Tilly819 25th April 2009 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broekens (Post 13481)
Hi,

-Besides being very quick, it has to be a bit relaxing on long highway cruises, the car is going to be my daily driver!

Greetings

Iff you want relaxing on long trips forget the bike engine unless you consider 8000RPM on the moterway relaxing ;)

And like fabby said you wont possibly be able to go slow in it :D

Hope this helps
Tilly

les g 25th April 2009 10:44 PM

phew
thats a bit of an ask
150hp easy 1.8/2.0 tuned zetec
200hp and easy cruising with little effort and cruising in a seven style car
umm not really the right choice of car but!!!!!!
guess you need to look for a 2.5 /3.0 alloy blocked engine
200hp out of a 2.0 L block i guess will be noisy, revvy expensive etc etc unless you get a turbo motor then that will be expensive
i reckon you are on the right track with a big beemer motor or perhaps 3.9/4.2 v8 out of a range rover
cheers les g

Alphax 26th April 2009 01:17 AM

VAG 1.8 turbo, got all you looking for

Broekens 26th April 2009 06:02 PM

Hmmn, maybe a zetec also will work.. Probably a lot lighter than a big 6 or eight cilinder engine. I think a 1.8 audi will be to expensive. But, is a Honda VTEC from a CRX or Civic not an option to mate with a rwd tranny?

Greetings

Bonzo 26th April 2009 06:25 PM

I seem to remember reading, that some of the Japanese engines rotate in a diferent direction from the Ford engine :eek:

The Honda engine is lurking in the back of my mind as one of them :confused: :confused:

Just a point to bear in mind. :)

flyerncle 26th April 2009 07:19 PM

Turn the diff upside down problem solved,just extend breather pipe to face up.( read make new one in the top)

deezee 27th April 2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 13517)
I seem to remember reading, that some of the Japanese engines rotate in a diferent direction from the Ford engine :eek:

The Honda engine is lurking in the back of my mind as one of them :confused: :confused:

Just a point to bear in mind. :)

Yeah VTecs run backwards IE the crank rotates the other way. Which is a huge shame considering the power from em. I think the only exception is the engine from a S2000. You still see em in mid engined kitcars, where, using the honda gearbox, it makes no differences.

Bonzo 27th April 2009 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deezee (Post 13569)
Yeah VTecs run backwards IE the crank rotates the other way. Which is a huge shame considering the power from em. I think the only exception is the engine from a S2000. You still see em in mid engined kitcars, where, using the honda gearbox, it makes no differences.

I thought that was the case ;)

I did notice a Rover 416 at the breakers the other day. This was fitted with the Honda 16v engine & fitted the opposite way round to the K series power unit.

I personally, do not know of any rear wheel drive manual gearboxes suitable for anti-clockwise turning engines. :confused: