Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Bodywork and interior (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   lotus 11 body kit? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13065)

Talonmotorsport 13th December 2013 08:00 PM

lotus 11 body kit?

I have been asked if I would rework the chassis on a Lotus 11 replicar to make the footwells and cockpit wider as the 11 is very narrow. I am trying to do a deal where I can take some moulds of the key features to make a body kit to wrap around the Roadster chassis, making it more usable for modern shape man (who you calling fat?). If this goes ahead is there any serious interest in it and by that I mean you pay a deposit to commit to having it made, I need at least 3 people to proceed with this otherwise I can't justify the investment of time and money. Prices will be in the region of £1000-1200 and will come in grey gel coat only.

The pic below is of a Westfield11.

Dualist 13th December 2013 08:30 PM

Love it, how much of the 1000-1200 would you need as a deposit.? And time scales.?

Talonmotorsport 13th December 2013 09:23 PM

Deposit would be 30% of the cost so either £300 or £360 depending on what the material costs for the moulds and body parts come to. Work on the project would start in feb once I have the moulds made for my standard Roadster nose, bonnet, scuttle and arches.
I must point out at this point that a 'loanable' kit would be needed for the head and indicator lights for the front to pass the IVA.

Talonmotorsport 16th December 2013 12:50 PM

So I'm guessing by only having one reply to this post that the interest in this body kit would very low then....

flyerncle 16th December 2013 01:06 PM

Don't think that Phil,its near xmas and £1,000 is hard to find,looks good.
What about Sports 2000 style body might be easier to fab up,on Haynes chassis.

Talonmotorsport 16th December 2013 01:16 PM

Sorry don't think I made myself very clear, I would be starting this project in february and looking for serious interest/deposits then. I know it would be asking too much this close to christmas for deposits but thought it might have gotten more than just 1 reply even just for peoples opinion on it.
I'm not sure that a sports 2000 body would be that practical on the road to be honest, on a track or hill climb for sure but speed bumps and curb stones?

flyerncle 16th December 2013 02:48 PM

Clear as Phil,maybe when you have a body to see there will be more interest,Sports body suitably raised would be something I would buy just to be different.

davidimurray 17th December 2013 10:25 AM

I suppose most people are building the haynes as they want a 7 style car. For those that do want an 'old' style then the replicar look quite interesting, especially as it is built around the MX5 backbone. -

rpjg1975 17th December 2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidimurray (Post 94920)
I suppose most people are building the haynes as they want a 7 style car. For those that do want an 'old' style then the replicar look quite interesting, especially as it is built around the MX5 backbone. -

Is that the one done by mev?

Russ

jason 82 17th December 2013 06:55 PM

Lol ! Well spotted. MeV replicar, don't copy that one Phil, Stuart Mills is one clever, minted cookie !:D