Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Donor cars (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Will this do? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3676)

danblack87 16th February 2010 09:20 PM

Will this do?

Hi there,
I am new to all this and after reading the book feel I am ready to undertake a challenge and build my own trackday car.

My question is regarding my donor, I want to use a Mondeo 2.0l Zetec as my donor. Is this car an easy replacement for the sierra as my Donor and will I need to make any major amendments from the book at all?

I would really appreciate any info/help/suggestions etc.

Thanks alot in advance,

Dan.

twinturbo 16th February 2010 09:40 PM

Unfortunatly it's not an ideal donor at all.. The only 3 componnets you can possibly use are the engine, front calipers and master cylinder. Everything else is probably close to useless.

What year Modeo is it, most cars have the PATS anti theaft system which can be a pain.

TT

londonsean69 16th February 2010 09:43 PM

The biggest problem is;

Mondeo = front wheel drive
Sierra = Rear wheel drive

So, no rear diff, driveshafts, propshaft, the rear hubs won't be driven, the front hubs are driven

Plus, the chassis, including suspension geometry is setup for Sierra running gear.

danblack87 16th February 2010 10:07 PM

Okay, so it's a bit of a nightmare.
The only real reason for wanting to use the mondeo is the tunability and power of the 2.0l engine.

So, it would be easier to use a Sierra for the parts, but then how hard would it be to switch the engine from a sierra engine to a Zetec 2.0 or a Duratec engine.

Sorry to sound to specific, but I have set my heart on a lightweight trackday car and I am just looking at BHP figures, I want something I can tune to around 200/250 bhp.

Thanks in advance, Dan.

slimtater 16th February 2010 10:11 PM

Lightweight?

Trackday car?

BEC? :cool:

danblack87 16th February 2010 10:16 PM

Lol. I have looked at a BEC but in all honesty my knowledge of mechanics is small, so I really dont feel up to the challenge of a BEC JUST yet...

But back to my question, If I did the build with a Sierra, how hard would it then be to put in a Duratec or Zetec engine?

Thanks for being patient with me and I appreciate all your replies.

Dan.

Ryan 16th February 2010 10:18 PM

welcome to the forum.

Lots of people start off by just using the donor car engine, usualy pinto or cvh if from a sierra. A cvh to zetec swop after iva is not that hard (or so I am lead to believe!)

Ryan.

Further to the above if building with pinto I believe its better to use duratec and if cvh use zetec, as the engines exhaust on the same sides.

twinturbo 16th February 2010 10:28 PM

Start with the sierra donor engine, run it for a few months the upgrade to the zetec.

Have you driven any high power RWD cars?

The power to weight ratio in the Roadster is very good even with a small engine.

TT

danblack87 16th February 2010 10:36 PM

Hi there,
I used to drive a bmw 320 rwd, 170bhp. Lots and lots of fun, especially without the traction control.

Okay, so now it looks like I need a sierra, any ideas on where to find a CHEAP one. Having just looked on ebay they are ALL expensive for what they are.

Any ideas fellas?

Many thanks,

Dan.

londonsean69 16th February 2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danblack87 (Post 31686)
Hi there,
I used to drive a bmw 320 rwd, 170bhp. Lots and lots of fun, especially without the traction control.

Okay, so now it looks like I need a sierra, any ideas on where to find a CHEAP one. Having just looked on ebay they are ALL expensive for what they are.

Any ideas fellas?

Many thanks,

Dan.

The beemer weighs around a ton, maybe a bit more.

A track roadster with a zetec should be around 550kg. Power to weight is much better.

Yes, a Zetec can be mated to a RWD box, but it involves a fair amount of mechanics.

250bhp from a Zetec is seriously expensive.
A genuine 200bhp is expensive.

An ST170 lump with bike throttle bodies, emerald injection etc. puts out around 190bhp. From there, it's head mods, and that starts to cost ££££

If it was for track only, I would go BEC. No reverse box, mega light, can hammer the power on much earlier.

The install for a track BEC would probably be easier than for a Zetec RWD conversion. A lot less parts to source