Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   SVA/Legal (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   IVA and side panel holes (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4978)

snapper 13th September 2010 08:14 PM

New you couldn't leave it

mr henderson 13th September 2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapper (Post 44838)
New you couldn't leave it

Now you are adding silliness to your incorrect answers.

The guy asks a question, I answer it (correctly), then people start contradicting me. Now I'm happy enough to be contradicted when I'm wrong, (and that does happen sometimes) but the reason it may not happen very often is that when I am not sure of the answer I either look it up (easy enough to do) or I STFU.

snapper 13th September 2010 08:45 PM

Chocolate Biscuit

mr henderson 13th September 2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapper (Post 44842)
Chocolate Biscuit

I have to admit, you are making more sense now than you were earlier :)

Jimmyd 13th September 2010 09:34 PM

Thanks chaps. As I want to keep my holes as "neat" as possible I don't want to leave gaps for edge trim if I don't need to so thanks for the reply's.

J

mr henderson 13th September 2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmyd (Post 44846)
Thanks chaps. As I want to keep my holes as "neat" as possible I don't want to leave gaps for edge trim if I don't need to so thanks for the reply's.

J

You are welcome. As long as the NI test is the same, and the sphere can't touch the edge in question, you're OK

snapper 14th September 2010 06:51 PM

JimmyD, wish you luck with the IVA, it is the scariest thing I have been through but also a great feeling when you pass.

AshG 14th September 2010 08:19 PM

im gonna disagree here. openings in external body panels must either be folded in on them selves or trimmed as all panel gaps and edges must be blunted.

Also you can fail for having too much trim as i found out! If a piece of trim is obstructing the tester from seeing something they need to check then it can cause a fail. in my case i failed on heat shrink round my track rod ends, he needed to check the lock nuts but couldn't because of the heat shrink, result i either failed on the lock nut or failed on the trim as i had to cut it off for him to inspect the locknut.

mr henderson 14th September 2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshG (Post 44898)
im gonna disagree here. openings in external body panels must either be folded in on them selves or trimmed as all panel gaps and edges must be blunted.

But where does it say that?

Enoch 14th September 2010 09:59 PM

That's in the latest version downloadable from the VOSA web site. The rule used to say that they had to have a specific radius on them, now they talk about "safety edges" and "blunted edges". It came in about 2-3 months ago, it makes a change for clarification to work in favour of the builder:)
If you search the new document for "blunted edges" you will see lots of areas where they have removed specified radii in favour of the blunted edge rule.
Enoch