Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Bodywork and interior (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Rear Tub, HELP NEEDED! (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6384)

SeriesLandy 29th April 2011 08:44 PM

Rear Tub, HELP NEEDED!

I am sooooo annoyed with myself tonight. I was making the final cut to my body work and I messed it up. I should have measured 6mm but it was actually 11mm so I have a 5mm gap between the side panel and real tub. Below the wheel arch doesn't matter but what to do about the slither above?

I don't want to vinyl wrap the car to cover it up and at the moment I don't want to buy a new panel, I would rather put the £175 towards the IVA.

Any Ideas what I can do other than gluing a slither in for the moment and buying a new tub after IVA when funds allow?

Night then got worse as I cut my elbow and sliced my finger open on the tub. Also stabbed my dremel into my leg when I tripped over the cable
Pic of Fukup:

cornishmaid 29th April 2011 10:28 PM

Use some "I" channel rubber to hide it.

les g 29th April 2011 10:39 PM

Hi mate sorry to hear of your probs
but as cornish said some rubber might do i
try and google seals+direct they are great to deal with and have a fantastic stock
cant do a linky cuz i is puta illiterate
HTH cheers les g

David_17 29th April 2011 10:40 PM

Me and Handy were discussing this gap the other day. It's the hardest part of the bodywork to get right. And rubber edge trim probably won't work as it's round a bend too.

I'm going to try a bead of silkaflex type stuff and see how it looks.

Andy was thinking of using an offcut of fiberglass as an overlap piece sorta thing.

SeriesLandy 29th April 2011 11:16 PM

I got the other side Spot on it's just this side where I was looking at the wrong bit on my rule, I think rubber might look a bit wrong but it's worth a try.

At least your bodywork is White So you can hide it easily with White silicon/ sikaflex.

A fibreglass cover may look ok but might draw attention to it more.

Cheers for the replies guys.

Ashtonr 30th April 2011 09:39 AM

Try fitting the rear arches then make a stone chip protector and fit to the rear arch and lap around to cover the join. I dont think you will have much of a gap to cover. I have trial fitted all the pannels and although I havn't yet made the cuts on the front edge of the rear tub and side pannels ( I just left then overlapping ) there wasnt much distance between the arches and this join. I can upload some photos if you need them

Rob

SeriesLandy 30th April 2011 10:56 AM

I think I'll have a look for some D trim that is flat, I only need a bit about 6mm wide.

It will cover the join on the other side and make it look even.

james3004 30th April 2011 11:09 AM

does the wheel arch not cover most of it?

SeriesLandy 30th April 2011 01:08 PM

Most but not all, there is about inch and half showing.
Just below the handbrake ( handys) pic not mine