Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   opinions on welds (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2511)

james3004 11th August 2009 07:13 PM

opinions on welds

Please can you give me you opinions on the following welds?

I'm not really sure if i need to make them hotter, my welder is a clarke 150EN with argonsheild gas

Thanks

Rik178m 11th August 2009 07:36 PM

I'm not sure about them. I had some welds looking fairly similar and the had no penetration. Checked them at work. Try breaking the welds with a lump hammer to check how deep the penetration is.

If you pause for a few seconds will you burn a hole through the steel? The heat pattern does look ok tho so I could very well be wrong

james3004 11th August 2009 07:39 PM

thanks for the replies, I'm using 0.8mm, I was worried that they were to high i didn't even think that i would be caused by the wire thickness :o

I will do a destructive test another day.

Thanks again

james3004 11th August 2009 08:00 PM

looks like i'm off to buy some 0.6mm wire then;)

mr henderson 11th August 2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james3004 (Post 19941)
looks like i'm off to buy some 0.6mm wire then;)

My Haynes Roadster book is at the workshop, bit I seem to remember Martin Keene (in the section on welding) saying that .8 was the stuff to use

mr henderson 11th August 2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 19945)
Any particular, technical reason as to why .8mm wire is superior to .6mm wire !!? :confused: :confused:

I think we need to bear in mind that MK engineering will be using industrial MIG welders. ;)

My own set is a Cebora 180amp semi-pro MIG welder & I use .6mm wire full time. :)

You would need to ask Martin. In any case, I would assume that (and this of course depends on whether I am remembering correctly) he would have written it as advice to amateur builders (it's in the section on welding)

drury318 11th August 2009 09:34 PM

For years I used 0.6 wire, mainly on bodywork etc & upto building my chassis I would have said exactly the same as Bonzo, 0.6 all the time no probs.Then I ran out of wire whilst building my chassis & got some 0.8, what a difference.
I can turn the power down and wire speed down, I have less tendency to blow through on butt welds and generally everything is just a bit easier I find, it may be just me but I wish I`d tried it years ago
Dennis

mr henderson 11th August 2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 19949)
I have just read the welding section of my first edition of the book.
No reccomenation of wire thickness is mentioned :confused:

I guess it must be a case of me using the welder wrong for the las 20 years, not to mention wasting good money on becoming an ASME coded welder.

I just feel sorry for all of my students that I have miss-lead :D :p

Well I did keep saying if I was remembering correctly! Must have not been (although I will have a look when I get to the workshop tomorrow (if I remember :) )

Chris Gibbs 11th August 2009 09:59 PM

It's on page 144 (0.8)

I think that you should try both and see which gives you the best result or you feel more comfortable with. It's a pretty good feeling when everything clicks and you know that your welds are good. :D

Those welds look pretty good to me James :cool:

Cheers

Chris :)

james3004 11th August 2009 10:20 PM

I think i'm gonna try 0.6 wire to see if i feel more comfortable and confident with the welds produced, I'd rather they were flatter then at least i know they are penertrated well and won't have to worry as much about the weakening when it comes to grinding them off:)