Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Redesigned steering rack support assembly (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7250)

voucht 10th October 2011 09:29 AM

Redesigned steering rack support assembly

4 Attachment(s)
Hello everybody,
Yesterday, I fitted the steering rack support on my chassis. As I'm very happy with it, I wanted to share the pics with you. I ordered the assembly to Madis (on this forum) among other chassis plates. Madis redesigned this steering rack support in a stronger assembly, and I think the result is great.
Attachment 1335

Attachment 1336

Attachment 1337

Attachment 1338

twinturbo 10th October 2011 12:27 PM

That looks neat, is it to the correct version f the dimensions?

It's good that people are re-engineeering parts to make them better. And make building easier.

TT

voucht 11th October 2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 66258)
is it to the correct version f the dimensions?

Yes exactly the same dimensions. Just the supporting plane is 2mm lower than in the book to allow tolerence for fine tuning of the steering reck height (and eliminate bump steer). This means that if anything is correct then there needs to be just 2 mm strips under the steering rack clamps. But if needed then you can lower the st rack.

Thank you for the comment :)

mopple 30th October 2011 08:27 PM

Here are the manufacturing drawings and profile files for cutting http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23250457/Mod...0st%20rack.zip. If any questions arise please send an e-mail.

Madis

Cyberbeej 30th October 2011 10:38 PM

Is anybody set up to manufacture these Plates?

mopple 31st October 2011 11:54 AM

I have this setup for my own build and I supplied the kit to voucht.
Any UK based manufacturer is welcome to supply this design as they reference to author and this forum.

Madis

Bonzo 1st November 2011 01:59 PM

Nice work

I like the design aspect of that revised steering rack support :cool:

Thanks to Voucht for sharing the photographs & thanks to Mopple for sharing the design. :)

For my own personal taste, the book spec steering rack support does indeed look a bit flimsy & was one of the areas that I was intending to rework.

That said, I am not saying that the book set up is wrong.

spud69 1st November 2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 67387)
I like the design aspect of that revised steering rack support :cool:

Thanks to Voucht for sharing the photographs & thanks to Mopple for sharing the design. :)

For my own personal taste, the book spec steering rack support does indeed look a bit flimsy & was one of the areas that I was intending to rework.

That said, I am not saying that the book set up is wrong.

That is a nice design and does rectify some slight issues with the rack support brackets. We have found to date that the 3mm plate around the oval holes can bend up under tension from the bolts towards the rack clamps making the bolts appear to have slackened. We have always advised a 5mm plate to be cut and used on the underside of the rack support to strengthen the plate and stop it bending up. This has rectified this problem, however, your design does give added strength to support the rack supports.

Similar to the 3mm plate for the clutch pedal, i would always recommend that people use 5mm plate for these as 3mm is too flimsy for the clutch effort needed.

Cheers....AndyH

CTWV50 1st November 2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spud69 (Post 67388)
That is a nice design and does rectify some slight issues with the rack support brackets. We have found to date that the 3mm plate around the oval holes can bend up under tension from the bolts towards the rack clamps making the bolts appear to have slackened. We have always advised a 5mm plate to be cut and used on the underside of the rack support to strengthen the plate and stop it bending up. This has rectified this problem, however, your design does give added strength to support the rack supports.

Similar to the 3mm plate for the clutch pedal, i would always recommend that people use 5mm plate for these as 3mm is too flimsy for the clutch effort needed.

Cheers....AndyH

If you'll be supplying these Andy, I'll take one! :)