Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Running gear (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Upright machining? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3429)

RAYLEE29 10th January 2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 28806)
That still does not answer the question though. Is the taper of the axminster reamer the correct angle to match the ball joint taper?

The taper on the joint should be paralel to the taper in the hole otherwise there will be a loose fit at one end or the other.

TT

Sorry you didnt understand my post inmo the taper is perfect
im sure there are hundreds if not thousands of kit cars on the road that have uprights modded using this reamer
but if your not confident to do the job yourself get it done by someone who is
Ray:)

RAYLEE29 10th January 2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey (Post 28810)
A couple of points are coming to light here, firstly the question of the correct taper, I'm using Granada uprights and I'll check them for the taper before I go reaming anything out. Secondly is a comment someone made about using a reamer, you do not use it like a tap. You should never turn a reamer backeards as it blunts the cutting edge. With a tapered reamer you simply lift it out of the hole every so often while turning it forwards.

D.

whilst i agree with what you say it is a known practice to run reamers backwards in some situations doing so can give a tighter hole size especially if the reamer is new and could cut oversize due to being too keen obviously you need to know what your doing so unless your an experienced engineer dont try it at home

twinturbo 10th January 2010 08:29 PM

I guess if they are not falling out then there must be a good amount of interferranc along the length ot the taper.

I am quite confident doing it so long as the tool is right for the job.

TT

RAYLEE29 10th January 2010 08:32 PM

mine worked fine:)

HandyAndy 10th January 2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAYLEE29 (Post 28814)
mine worked fine:)

mine too :)

andy

flyerncle 10th January 2010 08:34 PM

Me three no probs :)

twinturbo 10th January 2010 09:22 PM

Cheers.

so it would be a fraction of a mm over the distance we are talking about.

TT

Davey 10th January 2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAYLEE29 (Post 28812)
whilst i agree with what you say it is a known practice to run reamers backwards in some situations doing so can give a tighter hole size especially if the reamer is new and could cut oversize due to being too keen obviously you need to know what your doing so unless your an experienced engineer dont try it at home

A reamer can't cut oversize unless its in the hands of an ape. That's the whole point of a reamer, to accurately make a hole to specified size. And I stand by my comment that a reamer should never be turned backwards, ever!

D.

RAYLEE29 10th January 2010 11:28 PM

Davey this is a forum and your entitled to your opinion
but im right and your wrong lol
never mind moving on
.3mm is about 12thou so over 8cm is about 1.5 over 1cm so not really alot in it to worry about
so either should be fine

Davey 11th January 2010 06:52 AM

Ray I'll agree to disagree with you:D . I do agree about the taper, its close enough to not be an issue.

D.