Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Identify Wires (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3789)

geeman 6th March 2010 01:40 PM

Identify Wires

Hi, i have a 1.8 carb cvh, but have no idea about the fiord wiring, as i have no recollection when i took the sierra apart. I know these wires go to the lternator,battery and starter, but where and how? I hope to have the engine running an a few hours!!!:D

geeman 6th March 2010 01:40 PM

twinturbo 6th March 2010 02:00 PM

1 - Goes to the alternator, they are keyed and ponly fit one way.
2 - Goes to the Battery + terminal

3 - Big terminal onto the free big termina on the starter, Black and red to the starter solenoid. ( 3rd I am unsure of, whats at the other end? )

TT

geeman 6th March 2010 02:04 PM

Thanks, any idea about 4 and 5. Will hopefully have a video of it running up today or tomorrow:D

twinturbo 6th March 2010 02:04 PM

4- Big red one to the battery +12.
4- Black one looks like an earth I think, where does it go?

5- Brown earth on battery, red +12 on battery. Black I think this is an earth and joins to the earth on the starter cable.??

TT

geeman 6th March 2010 02:07 PM

oh yeah, should have said, the red in 3 goes to the read in 4, and the black in 3 goes to the square one in 4, if it helps. ALso where do they go? i have never doen anything with ford engines beofre, so really have no idea as to what im doing:o

never mind, im too slow, youve already replied. THanks

DaddyA 6th March 2010 02:37 PM

Hi Geeman hopefully i can help,

just been having the same problem with mine(should of took more photos).

3 - red goes to starter solenoid,
- black / red goes to starter solenoid,
- black negative lead put to one of the starter motor securing bolts.

4 - red to +12v
- black lead in background to to -12v
- other black lead attached to eng block (I used the lifting point bolt).

5 - put to +12v (supply hazards and fuses?).

Note - I'd add a couple of earth leads from you engine to chassis as well, just to be on the safe side.

Hope that helps, I've now got a problem with my ignition solenoid - Think i was a bit heavy handed with the pliers!!!!!:eek:

geeman 6th March 2010 02:46 PM

OK, its turning over now, now for the stupid question, how do i connect the ignition coils?? im confused, as i cant see what 2 thing to connect to each other. On the engine, what do i connect the coils to as i can find any connectors?

twinturbo 6th March 2010 03:44 PM

What engine are you using, and what have you done with the engine loom?

TT

twinturbo 6th March 2010 03:48 PM

From your pics, your using a 1.8 CVH, so you should have the loom with the ESC-Hybrid ignition module. On this you will find the coil negative plug.

The coil +12v plug is part of the front body loom and not the engine loom ( I haver no idea why they did this )

TT