Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   David's Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7031)

SeriesLandy 4th September 2011 10:58 AM

Something like this ( under share menu above photo, then get link)

Edit: get can't add the link on iPhone, right click on image, click on 640x480 size, then right click on photo copy image location.

Hope that helps

Davidbolam 11th September 2011 10:22 PM

After lots of measuring, re-measuring and a bit more measuring I cut the aluminium for the floors over the weekend. An engineer friend of mine said he would do it for me but he has been on the sick so I had to do it myself. I am now ready to drill the first hole in my chassis which seems a little daunting!!.

I have put some pics on my flickr accounts.

Also does anyone know the size of the bolts used for the rally design alloy steering rack clamps... are these UNF. I have only just worked out Metric bolts!!

twinturbo 12th September 2011 07:08 AM

A floor transforms the look. Enjoy fixing it in place.

TT

Bonzo 12th September 2011 09:18 AM

Standard M8 metric bolts will be just fine for the rack clamps

Just make sure that they are at least 8.8 grade tensile strength ;)

Can't remember the length but long enough for a flat washer on top of the clamp & a penny washer underneath the rack support bracket, then nylock nut & leave a few threads spare :)

spud69 12th September 2011 12:09 PM

Hi David,

That's looks nice laid out in the garage, need anything then just give us a shout.

Cheers........AndyH

Davidbolam 12th September 2011 11:43 PM

thanks Andrew - I am aiming to pop over on friday morning... be ready for lots of questions lol

also... tonight I had a riveting time!! I managed to get one of the floor panels in place. I got my wife to pur the first rivet in which she seemed to enjoy but she didn't volunteer to do the rest. Now I am just wondering how to get black sikaflex off my fingers and from under my nails!!

twinturbo 13th September 2011 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 64661)
thanks Andrew - I am aiming to pop over on friday morning... be ready for lots of questions lol

also... tonight I had a riveting time!! I managed to get one of the floor panels in place. I got my wife to pur the first rivet in which she seemed to enjoy but she didn't volunteer to do the rest. Now I am just wondering how to get black sikaflex off my fingers and from under my nails!!

Don't get it on in the first place.... ;)

What type of riviter did you use? I used a lazy scissor riviter and it was a breeeeze.

TT

mark 13th September 2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 64661)

Cutting your fingers off would be the easiest way!

Its almost as bad as ford sump sealant :D

twinturbo 13th September 2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark (Post 64702)
Cutting your fingers off would be the easiest way!

Its almost as bad as ford sump sealant :D

But a quater of the cost of the ford stuff..:eek:

I remember when I was doing mine, my 6 yr old (as he was then!) was helping, all I kept saying was "Keep away from that black stuff, if you get it on your cloths your mother will kill us."

TT

Davidbolam 13th September 2011 11:27 PM

TT I have one of those lazy riviters as well and they make light work of all those rivets! now the floor is complete! (and i wore rubber gloves this time so no black fingers from the sealant!)