Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stots Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12492)

Stot 5th November 2013 04:13 PM

Thanks to anyone that was offering the use of front wings but I know Ill need to drill and or glue them so I was hoping for an offer of a lend of some front wings and stays complete. :D :o

Instead I am taking a slightly different route and bought one of these for £16.50 delivered

With a view to cutting it in half to make the front cycle wings. I have a 2m length of 20x20 left over so I can weld some stays up out of that.

May even look half descent polished up!

Cheers
Stot

ayjay 5th November 2013 04:16 PM

What is it?:confused: :confused:

Stot 5th November 2013 04:18 PM

Oh yeah. 4x4 stainless spare wheel cover.

Cheers
Stot

K4KEV 5th November 2013 04:20 PM

Nice one Stot.....what a cracking idea....its a spare wheel protector yes ! front cycle wings at less than a tenner each effin brill dude, it probably would be possible to mod a set for the back too.

K4KEV 5th November 2013 04:21 PM

ah beat me to it.

Stot 5th November 2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K4KEV (Post 94370)
ah beat me to it.

Ha, sorry Kev.

Not sure it will be wide enough to make rear arches, its probably only ~8" wide but as a bonus it does come with trim all the way round it! I may even need to IVA it on the 165 14" Mazda wheels if its only 7.5" wide.

Even new they are ~£60 which for a pair of stainless steel arches still sounds a good deal.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 7th November 2013 07:39 AM

I have been fitting the LEDS to my dash recently. All of them worked well except the brake warning/handbrake light. It wouldn't go out when the handbrake was down, but a bulb would. I figured out it must have been the resistance across the bulb was causing a further drop of power that the LED wasn't creating so I added the bulb in parallel with the LED and the LED then goes of as expected.

I spoke to Skov about putting a resistor in there to create the resistance needed in place of the bulb but it worked out I would need one or two of those ruddy great big rectangular ones like you put in the indicator circuit when using LED bulbs so I covered the bulb with a bolt cover so it doesn't illuminate behind the dash and ill just leave that in there!

While messing around with the dash it turns out that the epoxy I used to hold my 'glass' to the bezels wasn't sticking to either the glass OR the bezels and they all fell apart so I had to come up with another solution.

I decided to try and hot glue them. Started off by keying the edges of the perspex discs and dabbing hot glue around the edges.

I keyed the inside of the bezel a little too and laid them down in position on some grease proof paper on a flat surface.

Stot 7th November 2013 07:43 AM

Then I got out a hair dryer and melted the glue and pressed the bezel into position.

This left some glue that squeezed out as you can see but some white spirit and a good rubbing action and you can get rid of the excess inside and out..

Seems a lot more solid than the epoxy versions and being hot melt glue it has just the smallest amount of give so should hold up to any vibration or flexing.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 10th November 2013 05:32 PM

Made the first wing stay today. I had some 20x20 left over and as they are temporary I made them out of that.

For a temporary solution its pretty good. If you bought a new 4x4 ring and took your time this could make some nice wheel arches. These ones are 9.5" wide but you can buy them in different sizes but for £16.50 for the pair I couldn't go wrong.

Cheers
Stot

rdodger 10th November 2013 08:35 PM

Loving the dash!

Are the warning lights ok like that for IVA? For some reason I thought the legend had to be on the light not next to it?