Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stots Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12492)

Stot 22nd April 2015 05:48 PM

Made some people smile, me included. :p

Cheers
Stot

Stot 28th April 2015 09:21 AM

I have been trying to get a grip on my fuel usage over the last couple of weeks as I fixed my fuel guage recently.

Running 8psi of boost on a 1.6 engine I'm getting 150miles a tank, or 25.5mpg. Same as my DD so I'm happy enough with that!

Cheers
Stot

rpjg1975 29th April 2015 07:06 AM

Can't complain at that.....not like the roadster is a super slippery shape! :eek:

CTWV50 9th May 2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 99068)
Slow progress, but I shortened the pickup pipe and have an oil return and drain plug. Whoohoo.

Cheers
Stot

Where's your drain plug from? And what's the spec? Trying to find something on ebay but failing.

Thanks

Stot 9th May 2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 100511)
Where's your drain plug from? And what's the spec? Trying to find something on ebay but failing.

Thanks

I recycled the original drain plug. Chopped it out with an angle grinder and turned it down on the lathe.

The guy that welded mine up hated it and said never again.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 9th May 2015 02:39 PM

Added some bonnet vents. With the turbo my normal running temps are 103-110c even with a full mx5 reroute out the back so hopefully these will help a bit.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 12th May 2015 08:40 PM

So THATS what that rattle was....

Glad it only took 45 mins to change.

If you get a china manifold, get a good quality pressed stainless gasket for it. The China one was aluminum is seems.

Cheers
Stot

CTWV50 13th May 2015 07:27 PM

I'll have to buy a fitting then, I wish I had a lathe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 98838)
Intercooler and merc rad just about fit in the nose with a fan pulling from behind.

What car is the rad and intercooler from? They look a neat solution.

190E?

"The Mercedes 190E radiator that many of the Haynes Roadster guys use has an oil cooler built in.

eBay Item

Its upside down in those ebay pictures, the red caps are on the oil filter in/out.

Cheers
Stot"

CTWV50 13th May 2015 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 100513)
Added some bonnet vents. With the turbo my normal running temps are 103-110c even with a full mx5 reroute out the back so hopefully these will help a bit.

Cheers
Stot

Have you thought about waterless coolant or maybe removing the thermostat? These are things I'm considering.

Stot 14th May 2015 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 100548)
I'll have to buy a fitting then, I wish I had a lathe.

What car is the rad and intercooler from? They look a neat solution.

190E?

"The Mercedes 190E radiator that many of the Haynes Roadster guys use has an oil cooler built in.

eBay Item

Its upside down in those ebay pictures, the red caps are on the oil filter in/out.

Cheers
Stot"

Yeah the rad is a 190E radiator. The core is exactly the same size as the intercooler. I have ducting in the nose too so that air cant go around the intercooler.

My temps still run at upto 110c. I have a full reroute in place and the fan switch is at the thermostat. In traffic the fan will come on and bring it back down to 102. It seems my fan switch actually comes on at 110 and off at 102 rather than 97/92 as its supposed to. Its new too.

Im going to try running the fan off the ECU for a while at a lower temp to see if that helps but It will probably just end up with the fan on permanently. If not ill try without the thermostat to see if it overcools then but really its when im going 70-80mph on the motorway im getting the most heat into the engine, its sitting at 4000 rpm so whenever you apply some throttle its into boost.

I think the radiator just isnt removing enough heat so I have a spare 190 radiator with a hole in it and Im thinking of sending that off to have an aluminium twin or tripple core copy made up if nothing else helps.

Cheers
Stot