Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stots Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12492)

Badger 15th May 2015 07:58 AM

Hmmm quite glad I didn't go for a 190E radiator now, though I'm not sure the Clio one I've got will be up to the job either!
Would it be possible to create a gap around the rear or sides of the bonnet to let the hot air out a bit more? Other than that is there any mileage in exhaust wrapping or coating the system?

flyerncle 15th May 2015 08:24 AM

Louvre things in rear of side panel would suck air out if you faced them in the right direction and possibly in the front to duct air in.

Stot 15th May 2015 09:24 AM

To be fair without the turbo and the intercooler in front of it I imagine it would do a decent job. I think ducting in the nose cone is essential also. When air hits a rad it will go around it rather than through it if it can.

Those louvres at the back of the bonnet will be dragging air out now so I dont think under bonnet temps is the issue any more. Also when im pootling in traffic the temps stay on the low side. When the fan comes on they do drop.

I see some aluminium double and triple core rads on ebay for £115-£150 so something like that should provide much better cooling.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 24th May 2015 12:30 PM

I priced up a new full 2.5" stainless exhaust system the other week as my down pipe is 2.25" and silencer is a little less than 2" so I think its stifling the turbo somewhat.

Unfortunately my megasquirt died last weekend so that money has now gone so I thought I would cobble together something out of what I already have in the mean time.

Spent £30 on a cherry bomb copy and made this up with bits I already had. 2.25" all the way through. Just needs to be painted black or silver now.

I'm sure it will be louder that what I have already but the turbo silences pretty well and I angled the outlet down so it should be OK for now.

I made it dimensionally how I would want the stainless one made so I may be able to send the pieces off to someone to copy it a bit cheaper

Cheers
Stot

garyt 24th May 2015 02:17 PM

hi what went wrong with the ms? as was just looking at them this morning
Gary

Stot 24th May 2015 02:46 PM

I have a microsquirt and some poor solder work on a mod I did on it a while ago finally gave in. My own fault not the unit which I think is brilliant.

Cheers
Stot

CTWV50 24th May 2015 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 100647)
I priced up a new full 2.5" stainless exhaust system the other week as my down pipe is 2.25" and silencer is a little less than 2" so I think its stifling the turbo somewhat.

Unfortunately my megasquirt died last weekend so that money has now gone so I thought I would cobble together something out of what I already have in the mean time.

Spent £30 on a cherry bomb copy and made this up with bits I already had. 2.25" all the way through. Just needs to be painted black or silver now.

I'm sure it will be louder that what I have already but the turbo silences pretty well and I angled the outlet down so it should be OK for now.

I made it dimensionally how I would want the stainless one made so I may be able to send the pieces off to someone to copy it a bit cheaper

Cheers
Stot

That exhaust should sound nice. :)

Stot 27th May 2015 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 100655)
That exhaust should sound nice. :)

Got my MS sorted again today. The exhaust is... loud... :o I don't think its unacceptable considering the times I will be using the car.

Just need to weld a hangar on the tailpipe and I can take it for a drive and see just how loud it is at full chat.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 28th May 2015 01:40 PM

The car actually isnt that bad at speed. It seems louder at slow speeds. you can hear the turbo spool pretty well now too.

I recon I have an idea on my heat issues too. The 190E radiator I ordered from ebay arrived as a round bar and fin radiator rather than a flat bar and fin radiator. I imagine much cheaper to make but not as efficient as flat bar and fin and its not really up to the job of keeping the engine properly cooled. The pic on ebay was of a flat bar radiator as it happens.

I might try again and get a descent OEM radiator and make sure Its a flat bar and fin version. Aluminium custom made would be £300+. Thought I had finished this car...

Cheers
Stot

CTWV50 28th May 2015 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 100690)
The car actually isnt that bad at speed. It seems louder at slow speeds. you can hear the turbo spool pretty well now too.

I recon I have an idea on my heat issues too. The 190E radiator I ordered from ebay arrived as a round bar and fin radiator rather than a flat bar and fin radiator. I imagine much cheaper to make but not as efficient as flat bar and fin and its not really up to the job of keeping the engine properly cooled. The pic on ebay was of a flat bar radiator as it happens.

I might try again and get a descent OEM radiator and make sure Its a flat bar and fin version. Aluminium custom made would be £300+. Thought I had finished this car...

Cheers
Stot

Good info :thumb up: