Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General discussion (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Neil's Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13569)

NeilW 13th January 2015 10:28 PM

Neil's Build Thread

Well after months and months i finally put the wheels in motion, not literally but its a start!

Progress will be slow as i now work abroad 3 weeks every 4 but will try to update whenever possible.

Anyways, i spent most of the weekend tidying out the garage, still a bit squishy but its a vast improvement to say the least...

Then knocking up the build table was quite fun, note to self - carrying an 8x4 on a windy day is not a good idea.

Next was sorting the fresh arrival of my TMXR chassis steel - much thanks to Phil at Talon. Great support especially over xmas time.

After then blowing the cobwebs from the set squares i could start to tack the chassis together.

Had a real nightmare looking for gas bottles on Sunday for my MiG so ended up tacking together using the arc.
After several hours of swapping plugs, cleaning earth clamps and angle grinding i managed to make some progress but will need further attention once i get mig going.

Any welders out there who charge by the day and accept cups of tea on tap are welcome to apply!

Next tasks - sort garage lighting cos its pants, find donor, order wishbone steel.

Apologies if photos are huge! Its a nightmare trying to insert from the ipad.

NeilW 13th January 2015 11:11 PM

Chassis in progress

vmax1974 13th January 2015 11:50 PM

Good to see another build started look forward to seeing it progress

flyerncle 14th January 2015 11:45 AM

Not ideal but works is beer gas Co2,independent beer sellers do them,about £12.

And lighting,look for LED lights about ,£16 and bright as hell.

Stot 14th January 2015 12:06 PM

I tacked my whole chassis together using old CO2 fire extinguishers.

Ask one of the Nu-swift or chubb type fire guys if they have any spare and tell them why and they may give you as many as you want. They have to take them back to their workshops and decommision and destroy them otherwise which is a pain in the bum for them over giving them away.

Cheers
Stot

TalonMotorFabrication 14th January 2015 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilW (Post 99669)
Next was sorting the fresh arrival of my TMXR chassis steel - much thanks to Phil at Talon. Great support especially over xmas time.

Any welders out there who charge by the day and accept cups of tea on tap are welcome to apply!

You found the front frame then, was it hiding in all that cardboard? :D
Welders that take tea as payment are called 'mates' other wise your looking at mobile service and their around £200 a day and it takes about 40 hours to glue a chassis together.
I'll get the drawings made up this weekend for all the tubes that will make no sense compared to the book.

NeilW 14th January 2015 09:10 PM

Yes found the front bits. ;)
Also managed to get gas sorted thanks to VMAX.
Roll on the weekend when i can make some noise again.

NeilW 17th July 2015 09:32 AM

Well its been a while since my last progress update... pita to upload, link etc from an ipad!

Managed to get the chassis sorted, toyed with colour ideas then ended up with satin black. Also had to move the steering column bearing support to its original location under the cross beam.

Also got the rack prepped and temporary installed with the aid of zip ties. :)

NeilW 17th July 2015 09:54 AM

Damn HUGE pictures....
anyway, also got the floor mounted under seat area - 2mm 2 piece and an even stronger wrist from the rivet tool and silkaflex under the finger nails for days.

Also got the steering linkages cut to size, just need to pin and weld.

Quite happy with the seating of the steering wheel - even though it is massive I shall remove after SVA.

NeilW 17th July 2015 10:06 AM

Started with the wishbones, easy at it with the angry grinder and my new favourite tool - the dremmel. Had no issues with them except getting the bend the front lower and getting extremely pissed with the angle of the front top. Thanks to Phil for bailing me out with a set of front tops.

Then got onto flowflex for the polybushes and crush tubes. Bloody expensive them things :eek:

A healthy coating of satin black once prepped.

NeilW 17th July 2015 10:13 AM

Spent days cleaning up parts and blasting whatever I could, diff came up quite well.
Got the diff and ns rear upright mounted.
Had an absolute nightmare with driveshaft CV's but eventually managed to get them together.

Also got the temporary engine in place so I could check the mounts etc, inlet manifold will be removed / replaced.
New engine will be 2.0 Blacktop Zetec, I have an eaton charger that I am toying with putting on.

NeilW 17th July 2015 10:49 AM

Plan of attack today is get the rear disks and calipers on. Stripped and refurbes the calipers yesterday. Bit tricky to get the circlip back in place against the spring but managed with a socket and g clamp.

Rosco 17th July 2015 11:31 AM

looked good mate, good bit of progress there, also what make is that scuttle?

NeilW 17th July 2015 11:44 AM

Thanks buddy, knowhere near as 'clean' as yours but I am quite happy working in crud... :D
Not sure what make it is, I got it from Porkchop on here. The rest of his stuff is Saturn, so I would hazard a guess at that.

vmax1974 17th July 2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosco (Post 101160)
looked good mate, good bit of progress there, also what make is that scuttle?

Looking good indeed

the scuttle bulkhead is saturn same as the one on my car

NeilW 17th July 2015 01:35 PM

Thanks, so much work goes in. Just a pain to upload all the pictures.
I am close to 150 hours so far...

Rosco 17th July 2015 08:31 PM

Looks pretty clean to me!

Photos wise, I take the pictures on my phone then upload them from my phone to photobucket using there app, then I write my posts on an iPad and copy n paste the links from the photobucket app on the iPad, not to bad

NeilW 29th July 2015 11:15 PM

Well not much progress to shout about lately. Crap weather has had a knock on effect on my ability to get off my arse.
Managed to get the rear 'rolling', new bearings, discs & pads, fully assembled and rotating freely.
Moved on to the front and after several hours/days of head scratching and forum searching finally I found that I had made a bit of a cockup on the front lower wishbones - for some reason I misread the dimensions to 365 instead of 395! - bugger! - a few quick mails and Phil to the rescue.

Also managed to get my engine sorted, 2.0 blacktop, practically new, 30k on it.
Eaton m45 charger due for arrival on Friday so hopefully will have this weekend to investigate fabrication methods.

Ecu choice still needs to be decided upon, was always inclined to go mega squirt but struggling to find any local tuners who will touch it.

vmax1974 29th July 2015 11:50 PM

For the tuning try automark at stokesley he used to tune my race car and he really knows his stuff

NeilW 29th July 2015 11:59 PM

Cheers for the info, I must have called 10+ tuners and all were recommending Omex. I will give them call.
Just want to make sure we have local tuners before committing to ordering an ecu.

NeilW 4th August 2015 10:20 PM

Well managed to get a few hours this morning. Also had a visit from a fellow builder.
Replaced belt and gaskets on the engine, new clutch and modified block for starter motor. A health coat of high temp Matt black too - if things stay still long enough in my garage they end up painted black!
I opted for keeping the 2.0 flywheel setup (as I already had the new clutch, spigot bearing and release bearing to suit).
Having acquired a tiger shortened sump I also installed the shortened oil pickup.
Mated to type 9 easily with no concerns - apart from the dubious 5 bolt securing....
Dropped into chassis but may need to rethink the mount position on exhaust side as I am tempted now to move alternator under exhaust manifold to make way for the charger.

NeilW 5th August 2015 08:53 PM

Well managed to get engine in place and mounted.
Rear end is now rolling, the NS seemed a bit tight to rotate and I was dreading that maybe something not seated correctly, removed caliper and span trouble free. Found the guidepins were painted so we're quite stiff causing caliper to sit offset. After a quick run down everything now ok.

NeilW 5th August 2015 08:57 PM

Replaced front wheel bearings. Pretty straight forward except mixing up LH and RH stubs! Lesson learned in there somewhere!

Front calipers stripped and new seals in place! What a fiddly job. Be happy if I don't have to do them again....

NeilW 5th August 2015 09:03 PM

Wishbones arrived from Phil after my previous disaster! Great job Phil! Speedy delivery, top quality craftsmanship - plug Talon Motor Fabrication
Instantaneously painted in the compulsory satin black then poly bushes fitted and temporarily bolted temporarily in place.

Next job to sort the rack extensions and clamps.

NeilW 5th August 2015 09:10 PM

Also got round to starting the pedals and pedal box. After a quick exchange of mails with Sylvain I decided to use his guide. It's really an excellent guide and a credit to him for covering all the aspects of geometry, dimensions and operation. The design itself is pretty robust and relatively simple to hand craft out of stuff lying around.
Something ultimately satisfying getting the hand file out and fabricating.

Davidbolam 5th August 2015 10:58 PM

Your build is coming along really nicely. Keep the pictures coming!!

David

NeilW 5th August 2015 11:11 PM

Thanks David, it really helps with the motivation. After a blast or 2 in other people's cars I get home 'full of beans' and crack on as much as I can.
I must have 1000+ pictures just a pita uploading them all....
I am using the highlights approach :D

Some parts of the build so far have been really frustrating, however at the moment I am well focused to the 1st milestone of a rolling chassis and the jobs to do are quite fun.
I must admit, the pedal setup has really perked me up a bit after a tedious few weeks pondering over wheel bearings and cv's.

Ps. Cheers for the lend of the engine hoist, I must have had engine(s) in and out over 10 times already.

NeilW 5th August 2015 11:16 PM

Forgot to mention - I am off to Detroit (motor city) for a month with work next week so progress will halt a bit.
On the plus side there is all kinds of parts to be had from auto stores over there. Already been on Detroit Craigslist and the amount of aftermarket toys (ecu's, inlets, bolt on engine kits) are crazy and cheap! I can see 2 cases of excess baggage coming....

Also it's pretty damn dangerous (3rd most violent city in the world so I am told) so most likely won't be attending any auto jumbles. :rolleyes:

flyerncle 6th August 2015 09:18 AM

Baggage limit weight is 22kg so don't pay for more cos you wont be able to bring it back,found that out at Sanford.

NeilW 6th August 2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerncle (Post 101311)
Baggage limit weight is 22kg so don't pay for more cos you wont be able to bring it back,found that out at Sanford.

I have a platinum miles card from skyteam 2x30kg allowance. Usually if I bring more I prebook online. £30 per additional case.

Problem I have is there is literally zero space in the garage for anymore parts. :D

NeilW 6th August 2015 10:37 AM

Today I might start to add fluids to box and diff as my new seal kit arrived for the gbox. I am sure everything is pretty much confirmed so they shouldn't have to come out anymore. Is this a silly idea?
Also what oils are people using in type 9's and diff? I have read mixed opinions about using high spec oils vs standard basic.

flyerncle 6th August 2015 01:15 PM

EP 80/90 is the old spec and would have went in box and diff back in the day,filling the box now is a good idea as it is a pain when all panelled up.

It will run out of the tailshaft if not carefull.

NeilW 8th August 2015 08:53 AM

I tried to tackle the gearbox seals yesterday and I am a bit concerned (as usual). The seal at the outer end where prop shaft inserts is a bugger to get out. Should I be ok to try and prise it out with a flat blade against the toothed shaft? Before I start I thought I'd ask how people have removed it. Google is full of info saying lever it against the shaft but some people report all kinds of issues.

Also, a noob question if I may.... Am I ok to cable tie the cv boots on the driveshafts? I got some metal straps included but there a pita to put on.

vmax1974 8th August 2015 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilW (Post 101355)
I tried to tackle the gearbox seals yesterday and I am a bit concerned (as usual). The seal at the outer end where prop shaft inserts is a bugger to get out. Should I be ok to try and prise it out with a flat blade against the toothed shaft? Before I start I thought I'd ask how people have removed it. Google is full of info saying lever it against the shaft but some people report all kinds of issues.

Also, a noob question if I may.... Am I ok to cable tie the cv boots on the driveshafts? I got some metal straps included but there a pita to put on.

I had a quote from easi gears at thornaby and they were quoting 150quid all in to pull it apart clean and Inspect all the internals paint the case and put it back together with new seals maybe if you unsure its worth the coins

flyerncle 10th August 2015 10:24 AM

Lever it out gently and be carefull not to bend the splines,try the prop on afterwards.

NeilW 16th August 2015 10:05 AM

Quick update, I am away now for a month so progress will be halted. I still plan for a Christmas finish (not sure which year though!).
Some progress was made last week..
Engine relocated slightly, needed to move 1" to the NS :(
Fuel tank and mushrooms - thanks to Kev
Front hubs reamed - thanks to Paul
Got some new 15" speedline corse alloys with Michelins
Eaton M45 received - this will be sold on later (surplus to requirements now I have another plan).
Now the fun part....
In the states Zetec performance parts are everywhere. So far I have purchased a rotrex c31-80 charger and kit, powerworks inlet and a Ford Racing Head (these are like rocky horse s**t). Awaiting delivery of an Omex ecu with a bit of luck (only $400).
The search continues but I am sure I am over my weight limit now - looks like additional baggage required!

vmax1974 16th August 2015 06:35 PM

Can see you shipping an iso container home as your excess luggage

norton 17th August 2015 03:15 PM

Is that M45 up for grabs then?

NeilW 17th August 2015 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norton (Post 101484)
Is that M45 up for grabs then?

Yeah certainly is.

norton 17th August 2015 11:22 PM

Can you send me any details along with a price?