Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Running gear (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Steering column (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8089)

KenK 22nd May 2012 01:36 PM

Steering column

On the sierra column there is a triangular shaft which is a sliding fit within the round main shaft. How far should the triangular shaft be slid inside the round shaft?

Cheers
Ken

K4KEV 22nd May 2012 02:19 PM

I left mine where it was and cut off the excess an inch after the locating pin since I was re using the original upper uj

deezee 22nd May 2012 02:52 PM

I put mine halfway down. I assume your taking about the section with the 'foot' on it, to stop it sliding out of the joint? The IVA man spent quite a lot of time scrutinising the steering column / wheel / rack etc. I can't find a recent photo of wht I mean. I'll try to take one tonight when I'm in the garage.

robo 22nd May 2012 05:48 PM

All that stuff is built into the steering system to stop the steering wheel being buried into you chest in an impact. i would keep as much of the slider in reserve for that purpose and keep that gizmo ford puts between the rack and bottom of the shaft. It all helps when you need it most. Just thoughts

bob

deezee 23rd May 2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robo (Post 73873)
All that stuff is built into the steering system to stop the steering wheel being buried into you chest in an impact. i would keep as much of the slider in reserve for that purpose and keep that gizmo ford puts between the rack and bottom of the shaft. It all helps when you need it most. Just thoughts

bob

The section we're talking about is the adjuster, its meant to be adjusted. The collapsable section of the steering column isn't on the lower steering shaft, its part of the upper section (thats normally covered by the steering shroud). The part we're talking about is below. The adjustable section with the small foot on it.

Incidently I cut this section past the adjuster and extended it there. Between the rubber dampened coupling and the sliding adjuster.

KenK 23rd May 2012 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry I think I have been misleading here the part I mean is at the right of the attached picture. It telescopes inside the upper column but I dont know by how much?

Ken

robo 23rd May 2012 10:17 PM

As long as you have enough room for that triangular bit to go back into the column the set amount for the iva <i think its about 3 or for inches> you can cut the rest of if you need to. Here is a bit on the other section, hope this helps. The iva rules dont like the shafts to go too much in a straight line. http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index....eering-column/

Bob

baz-r 23rd May 2012 11:18 PM

I had 2 types of thease one thin and solid made from rod with friction welded ends and one fat cast/forged on my doner (93) as in picture above.
So Thay are not all the same

voucht 5th July 2012 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I'm going on with this thread as I have the same problem as KenK. I understand his question, but sorry, I don't really understand the answers :o .
So first, Ken, do you know now how much the triangular shaft should be inside/outside the round main shaft?
Here are some pictures of my (our) problem : fist line is the triangular shaft completely out, and second line is the triangular shaft completely in. What is the correct position please ?

Attachment 1463

Thank you very much.

I also have another question: how do I refill the steering rack with grease. I've got 2 new bellows, the grease (which is quite liquid, and looks more like very thick oil). I guess the easier is to refill from one of the two ends, but do I start with compresses bellow? extended bellow? middle position? How much grease do I put in it?
If you have any tips or procedure about that, I would be very glad.
Thank you very much.

K4KEV 6th July 2012 12:52 PM

hi Syl...when I did mine I just cut the excess that I did not need but still maintained the locating pin position on the upper joint...I think I would go for 50/50 but also bear in mind the clearance issue where the extension passes "U2"
if you use at the max limit (triangle bit) then it will put the extension very slightly closer....I used 19mm tube ....I think anything thicker may conflict with U2