Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Engine/transmission (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Engine noise (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4575)

HandyAndy 8th July 2010 07:42 PM

Engine noise

Today I have finished my exhaust down pipe & connected the silencer & fabricated a bracket to hold the silencer in place to the chassis,

So, I started her up, nice & quiet :cool:

Now thats its able to run with the full exhaust system in place I decided to let it get up to temp, which it did nicely........

BUT

Once it had warmed up I can now hear what I can only describe sounds like a "Tappet noise", even tho the CVH engine i,m using has Hydraulic valves etc,

So,,,,,,,,,whats this noise? any hints please?

I did the screwdriver trick to the ear from on top of the rocker cover & it sounds like its coming from number 3 cylinder ( from rad to cockpit counting) valve setup :confused:

any idea,s ?

By the way, the donor it came out of has a full service history with 92k genuine on the clock.
cheers
andy

Enoch 8th July 2010 07:44 PM

Hi Andy, I had a Jag used to do that if the oil was too thin. What grade have you got in it? Does it quieten back down when the engine cools?

HandyAndy 8th July 2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 41246)
Hi Andy, I had a Jag used to do that if the oil was too thin. What grade have you got in it? Does it quieten back down when the engine cools?

wow that was quick :eek: :D

The oil is , I think 15/40 , tho I must say, when i,ve checked the oil it seems very thin, nice colour ( new oil ), correct level & I did check that my oil pick up pipe was collecting oil when I rebuilt the sump etc.

The noise isn,t there when the engine is cold / cool, it gets noisy the warmer the engine gets .

cheers
andy

flyerncle 8th July 2010 08:00 PM

Older engines ran on thicker oil so it may pay to change it ,they were prone to breaking valves springs but this would give a miss and its worth checking the cam lobes for wear.
If I remember rightly it ran ok before its last rights so possibly its oil related.

Edit see below

HandyAndy 8th July 2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerncle (Post 41249)
Older engines ran on thicker oil so it may pay to change it ,they were prone to breaking valves springs but this would give a miss and its worth checking the cam lobes for wear.
If I remember rightly it ran ok before its last rights so possibly its oil related.

Edit see below

Thanks Paul,

what oil do you suggest please?

Yes, the donor car ran really well, When I collected it, I drove it home almost 200 miles & then 35 miles to you :D before it took its last gulp of go go juice for a while :D

I thought maybe something is sticking, as its the first time its been fully up to temp in 13 months.

I,ll change the oil & filter tomorrow :rolleyes:

cheers
andy

twinturbo 8th July 2010 08:13 PM

oooohhh.......

twinturbo 8th July 2010 08:14 PM

ahhhhh ... memories.....

TT

HandyAndy 8th July 2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 41251)
oooohhh.......

You,re scaring me now TT :eek: :o :D

GULP

cheers
andy

gaz05 8th July 2010 08:17 PM

Engines with hydraulic lifters can do that if not run for a long time. Keep trying it and see if it quietens. Been a while since I worked on a CVH.

I recently sold my BILs Scoobie for him. It had been standing for six months and two people walked away from it because of the tap. Day after that the noise was gone and it ran perfect.

twinturbo 8th July 2010 08:18 PM

in 1999 I bought a clean looking 1.8 LX at auction for £250, it idled wonderfully quiet. but when I hit 2.5K i Got a rattle..

I went through everything short of the camshaft ( bought it but never fitted it as I stole my bro's engine )..

The most likely culprit is a failed follower, they were available from motor factors back then for about £16. Make sure they know it's a 1.8 CVH as 1.6 ones that cost £4 are no good.

It's an easy job, may be worth pulling them right after running and then checking the lenght with a micrometer to see if one is flaccid.

TT