Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   ECU light (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13475)

Numplumb 14th September 2014 09:21 PM

ECU light

I bought my donor parts already removed not a donor car, and it seems that I don't have a warning light for engine fault warning so I have 2 questions

1) does anyone know if I could add a wire to the ECU to fit one, the circuit diagrams I have show the wire as being black/yellow there isn't a wire of that colour in my ecu connectors I do have quite a few empty spaces though.

2) If it is possible does anyone know which connector and position to connect it to.
Regards Mick.

Davidbolam 14th September 2014 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numplumb (Post 98666)
I bought my donor parts already removed not a donor car, and it seems that I don't have a warning light for engine fault warning so I have 2 questions

1) does anyone know if I could add a wire to the ECU to fit one, the circuit diagrams I have show the wire as being black/yellow there isn't a wire of that colour in my ecu connectors I do have quite a few empty spaces though.

2) If it is possible does anyone know which connector and position to connect it to.
Regards Mick.

Are you using an mx5 donor?

If so all you need is a jumper wire and an led in the diagnostic port. There are lots of posts on YouTube showing you how

David

Numplumb 15th September 2014 10:33 AM

Hi David thanks for your reply but isn't that just for reading fault codes, I was thinking more of a light which comes on when ignition is turned on and then goes out unless there is a fault.
Regards Mick.

Davidbolam 15th September 2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numplumb (Post 98672)
Hi David thanks for your reply but isn't that just for reading fault codes, I was thinking more of a light which comes on when ignition is turned on and then goes out unless there is a fault.
Regards Mick.

There isn't one of those on mine. Are you using a late model MX5?

David

Stot 15th September 2014 11:24 AM

I think the indicator LED does light up when there are codes to read If you dont jumper it into diagnostic mode too and just have the LED in there.

As a check you can unplug a sensor or two, coolant temp at the back of the engine or O2 sensor while running and see if it lights up.

Cheers
Stot

Numplumb 15th September 2014 01:24 PM

No I think it is a 93 or earlier I just bought the parts and I bought a dash off EBay but I didn't realise that it was from a Eunos in KM so I bought another one Uk spec the difference is the Jap one has engine fault light in place of rear fog light but my loom is Uk spec so I just thought maybe add a light if possible
Regards Mick.

Stot 15th September 2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numplumb (Post 98679)
No I think it is a 93 or earlier I just bought the parts and I bought a dash off EBay but I didn't realise that it was from a Eunos in KM so I bought another one Uk spec the difference is the Jap one has engine fault light in place of rear fog light but my loom is Uk spec so I just thought maybe add a light if possible
Regards Mick.

I meant the one you add to the diagnostics port. You add an LED/bulb between FEN and + and a jumper wire from TEN to ground to read the fault codes, but I think if you just add the LED it will light when there are codes to read. You could extend the FEN wire into the dash to light the dash bulb.

Cheers
Stot