Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Donor cars (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Suitable donor car? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12950)

G1McKenzie 14th September 2013 10:58 PM

Suitable donor car?

Hey guys, I'm soon to be starting a roadster build, probably next month. I've got the option to buy this as a donor car, is it suitable?

FORD SIERRA 1.8 LX SAPPHIRE
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...ire/1031738992

Thanks! Watch out for a new build thread shortly!

SeriesLandy 14th September 2013 11:20 PM

Looks ideal, should be a cvh from the year which is handy if you want to put a zetec in later

£500 I would guess is about right maybe a little high but I don't know the prices any more.

26k miles, more like 126k or 226k. Depends on the wear
I paid £300 for mine 5 years ago and was in fantastic nick for a 20 yr old car.

Hth, have you looked at the mk1 mx5 at all. More expensive but worth more in parts to sell on.

G1McKenzie 14th September 2013 11:37 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, the reason I was asking is because I've got the price of that car to £370. 126k miles, not 26k, but that was expected.

I'm going to be using the sierra as ill mainly be using the haynes manual to build, I am only 18 you know so it's not going to be one of these roadsters that really sets itself apart from the rest.

I live in aberdeen, Scotland, do you know if there is any meets nearby? I haven't looked into it mnuch to be honest. Ill be heading down past that car next week to go toa wedding which is why it caught my eye.

Thanks

jason 82 15th September 2013 07:11 AM

Skcc.co.uk this is the only one that I have heard about in Scotland, it's the Scottish kit car club. The Haynes roadster forum is full of cracking ideas, please take a look at the amendments section under the title of announcements. The sierra has a choice of 2 gearboxes, type 9 & the mt75. They require slightly different gearbox tunnels. There is a really good company called rally design, which does bell housing adapters, in case you would like to change your engine to a Zetec etc. there is also a chap on this forum called k4ev, this dude is a wizard for the fuel tanks. Welcome to the world of the haynes roadster build, don't forget to enjoy yourself !:D

twinturbo 15th September 2013 01:20 PM

There's a few parts I need for my sierra, so don't damage scrap anything too soon. You should be able to make a reasonable proportion of you investment back if your carefull and take your time Althought you will be using most of the realy valuable parts.
TT

G1McKenzie 15th September 2013 02:14 PM

This is a big ask here, but say I got the car for 350, and made everything possible myself (dad owns a car repair garage so I have all the tools) can someone estimate how much it would cost me in total if I get all my materials a little cheaper than the average on here? Much appreciated if someone can give me an estimate, thanks

rpjg1975 15th September 2013 03:36 PM

There is a thread on that subject floating about but it is very much dependant on what you want/what you are willing to pay for. I know of several builders who are basically built for about 3 grand. Then you have iva, tax, insurance etc on top of that. Another big issue is how quickly you want to finish. I have been going for 3 years on and off but have probably not even spent £1500 in total and I am at rolling shell stage with most of the parts I need to finish. This doesn't include shocks, prop and aluminium for side and rear panels. Add in iva etc and easily another £1500 or so to spend. So that would be 3 grand and I have bought very little brand new!

I used a chassis kit, grp panels were all seconds, seats cost me £40, headlights cos me £33, stuff like floor was steel sheet I got for nothing, tranny tunnel panels are an old filing cabinet etc etc so if you are willing to trawl through ebay looking for bargains then there are plenty to be had but likewise if you are gonna buy everything new at retail price then you had better have deep pockets!

jps 15th September 2013 08:48 PM

I'm planning on buying most of the kit car specific bits ( lights, bodywork, seats, clocks, etc) new, but salvaging materials for the chassis and using as much sierra donor as possible. I'm buying a few tools, probably 300 worth in the end. I'm reckoning on 7k for the whole build otr..

no idea how people manage it for 3k!

jason 82 16th September 2013 02:33 PM

Everybody must have an mem fast rivnut tool kit, it's expensive, but my god it's a bloody handy bit of kit ! It will be really useful when putting the ally panels on and various other bits. :D

Stot 16th September 2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason 82 (Post 93650)
Everybody must have an mem fast rivnut tool kit, it's expensive, but my god it's a bloody handy bit of kit ! It will be really useful when putting the ally panels on and various other bits. :D

I got a cheap rivnut tool and its useless after about 50 rivnuts so id agree its worth spending the money on one. I just took a look at what else is out there to replace my one and this thing is a great idea. Those of us with mills could make one but for the sake of £24 I thought I may as well just buy one.

It could be a problem if you are trying to install one in an inside corner but I can also see it putting rivnut in in tight places a normal tool cant get to.

Cheers
Stot