Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Chris's new build of an MX5 based car (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6206)

Johno 4th April 2012 08:18 PM

Looks like your'e making some cracking progress there Chris.:cool:

It's always nice to see ppl doing their own thing and coming up with new ideas.:D
I guess you are planning to use the MX5 brake/clutch and go faster pedal assembly by the look of it. Looking forward to see how that pans out..

Well keep posting piccy's ....Johno

CTWV50 5th April 2012 12:13 AM

Thanks Johno those words will keep me motivated for another 3 months!:D With regard to the pedals it's really down to money but it would be cool for other people who come along to know it is possible to keep them albeit modified somewhat. If it don't pan out it's no big deal at this stage.

CTWV50 9th April 2012 10:08 PM

Currently suffering from "Paralysis by Analysis" since I made the seat runners and tacked them to the floor. All of a sudden there are loads of interesting things to think about and position. So ultimately I have managed to half do about 5 different things. Like seat back/headrest positioning (IVA), Prop cut and in place, handbrake cables and bracket hacked out of the donor and half positioned, belt mount positions thought about, bonnet options considered. I start one job and end up doing another. And seem to spend most of my time just thinking about stuff. I need to make a critical path!:) I guess this is the best bit when you stop using the book to build the car and it becomes your creation!

Oh I put the pedals back in yesterday and it seems I don't need to do anything with the throttle cable as it just refitted to the engine and worked fine! Bonus. Looks like I can get the handbrake where i want it too and clear the prop and as a bonus don't have to chop up the cables.

alga 10th April 2012 03:02 AM

Thinking about stuff, I can relate to that! But it seems that all that thinking is not time wasted, somehow implemented solutions materialise with time out of all that thinking. Same with tinkering with whatever takes your fancy on a given moment. If you keep doing that, the car will be finished eventually.

CTWV50 10th April 2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alga (Post 72202)
Thinking about stuff, I can relate to that! But it seems that all that thinking is not time wasted, somehow implemented solutions materialise with time out of all that thinking. Same with tinkering with whatever takes your fancy on a given moment. If you keep doing that, the car will be finished eventually.

Thanks Albert, I was starting to think I had hit a barrier but you're right, the simplest solutions do come with time and tinkering? :-))

HandyAndy 10th April 2012 10:33 AM

I can remember those moments too:confused:

Then there are times when you think to yourself "its finished"............but then find something else that needs doing :eek: :D

The "to do" list does eventually get smaller until the point where you think to yourself....I,ll just check this & that to make sure .

cheers
andy

CTWV50 10th April 2012 11:06 PM

Cheers Andy. :) Tonight I had a break from thinking and stripped down the two front brake calipers as the donors brakes were quite frankly non existent, and boy was I right too the pitting to the pistons is really quite bad I will need to replace the pistons. I know a place that will acid dip and plate the calipers and carriers for free and then I'll rebuild them. It'll be a lot cheaper than replacements. Not sure if I'm brave enough to do the rears they look a little more involved.

Davidbolam 10th April 2012 11:25 PM

If you look on ebay you can get mx5 reconditioned ones for about £44. I am sure i got £15 from mwd ltd. When you look at the cost of the kits to recon them yourself I figured it was best to get someone else to do it.

David

CTWV50 10th April 2012 11:51 PM

I definitely need one rear so I'll get that of ebay. Refurbing the fronts will cost £30 and I'll have nice clean carriers too. If I couldn't get the plating done for free then yes, ebay it would be for the lot. Hopefully looking at about £120 to get all the callipers sorted.:)

EDIT: Oh hang on looks like you're right, seal kit and pistons for the front is £45 plus del and you can get em on ebay for £53 delivered. Oh well some more disassembled metal to weigh in then!

Davidbolam 11th April 2012 02:16 PM

sell the old calipers on ebay!!