Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Modifying chassis diagonals? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4183)

adrianreeve 29th April 2010 08:36 AM

Modifying chassis diagonals?

I'm struggling to find an exhaust manifold for the right money. The only ones I can find are the type that go through the chassis rails rather than over the top. As none of the exhausts I'm looking at were actually designed for the Haynes, they tend to collide with the chassis diagonals between the top and bottom rails. Given that my chassis is now powder coated, how much of a ball ache is it going to be to cut the offending rail out, fit a manifold, then weld in another diagonal wherever it will fit? Do you reckon the chassis strength will be too compromised, or will putting whatever diagonal I can get in there be ok?

Opinions please!

Cheers

Adrian

Tatey 29th April 2010 08:51 AM

Personally I wouldn't be considering cutting out a chassis member for aesthetic purposes, especially since you have got your chassis powder coated. Have you thought about making your own exhaust manifold?

HandyAndy 29th April 2010 08:53 AM

Hi Adrian,

May I ask what engine you are using?

I would think that cutting the offending diagonal out wouldn,t be too difficult with a grinder/hacksaw then possibly repair the powder coat with the "Plasticote" type of paint ( available at B&Q in rattle cans for about £10 per tin),
I,m no chassis "Designer" but would have thought that if you can put in an extra diagonal between Br1 & BR2 to TR1 & TR2 so that it has ineffect a "V" brace wouldn,t be a problem in my opinion, but would suggest you do the same configuration on both sides to ensure the chassis has the same strength / flex in a uniform way, ( if that makes sense ? :o )

cheers
andy

gingea1pom 29th April 2010 09:29 AM

Can you not extend the headers so the pipes then turn down once they have cleared the top rail of the chassis?

Check out AshG’s pictures that’s what he did.

Cheers Ginge

les g 29th April 2010 07:14 PM

have a search on ebay for a shop called " pepperperformance "
they do tubular manifold kits and they look quite good and are an over the top style price is £99 +£9.99 delivery
someone on here bought one and he seemed happy enough with it
cheers les g
if you do some research their is some tie up with Ashley performance exhausts
which are well rewgarded in the tuning and rally world ........

Bonzo 29th April 2010 08:02 PM

I bought my kit from Pepperperformance

Ebay linky

Very happy with the quality of the kit

Was impressed with the nice chunky 10mm thick manifold plate, I have often seen those selling for over £30 + p&p .... Kinda puts the rest of the kit into perspective, pricewise.

Plenty of tube there, either through the bonnet or through the side pannel ;)

I wanted an all singing & dancing, stainless exhaust system but with the extra spending I have been doing in order to complete the build this year .... The bling can come after the IVA :)