Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Bodywork and interior (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Aerocatches, fitting the bonnet ? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13118)

voucht 7th January 2014 11:31 AM

Aerocatches, fitting the bonnet ?

Hi,

I'm planing to buy some aerocatches for fitting my bonnet.

The bonnet needs 4 attachment points, right ? So I thought about buying one pair of locking aerocatch + one pair of non-locking ones.

But isn't it too much ? What would be a good way to attach the front part of the bonnet without external catches? I'd like that so I would need just one pair of catches at the rear of the bonnet.

How did you guys fit your bonnets ?

Thanks.

K4KEV 7th January 2014 12:03 PM

Hi Syl....page 62 of my build thread was how did it with just aerocatches at the scuttle end, although I am thinking about going with ss protech catches at the front now that I am finished with the IVA

K4KEV 7th January 2014 12:48 PM

My bonnet is not attached to the chassis it is held in place by the 4 aluminium "tongues" that slip underneath the recessed part of the nosecone roughly at 10 and 2 o clock and a 9 and 3 oclock

voucht 7th January 2014 12:56 PM

Okaaaayyyy ! Sorry, I thought these parts where just there to hold the trim. Now I understand.
Very clever... and inspiring !
Thank you Kev.

alga 7th January 2014 06:33 PM

Westfield also use just 2 aerocatches on the scuttle side, there are some vertical pins protruding back from the nosecone that lock into the bonnet or vice versa. Seen that on Mark Evans' "A Racing Car is Born", sadly it seems to be pulled off youtube now, apparently someone's still trying to sell DVDs...

twinturbo 7th January 2014 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alga (Post 95278)
Westfield also use just 2 aerocatches on the scuttle side, there are some vertical pins protruding back from the nosecone that lock into the bonnet or vice versa. Seen that on Mark Evans' "A Racing Car is Born", sadly it seems to be pulled off youtube now, apparently someone's still trying to sell DVDs...

I have it recorded

TT

SeriesLandy 7th January 2014 09:18 PM

That would require a return on the nose cone or something for the pin to go into. I thought about doing that and have 2 pins that I took off a garden swing seat but ended up with a 2nd set of catches.

voucht 8th January 2014 06:01 AM

I have watched this part of the video I found somewhere else on the Net than Youtube :eek:

I like this simple way to attach the front end. It looks like Equinox's bonnet and nose have the return SeriesLandy is talking about, so I will have a go with that... and will order just 1 pair of catches for now.

Thank you very much for the help :)

Stot 8th January 2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voucht (Post 95284)
It looks like Equinox's bonnet and nose have the return SeriesLandy is talking about, so I will have a go with that...

The Equinox do have locating nubbins but I wouldnt trust them to hold the bonnet down as they are. They are fairly shallow and rounded so a good gust of wind could dislocate them. You can see them here.

I have straps at the front to help keep them located, but a more robust pin and hole solution would work too.

Cheers
Stot

rpjg1975 8th January 2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 95281)
I have it recorded

TT

I bought the dvd off fleabay a few years back for a couple of quid. Has already given me a couple of ideas which helped with my build :)

Russ