Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Suspension bolt kit group buy (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4243)

Bonzo 9th May 2010 03:20 PM

Suspension bolt kit group buy

I will soon be ready to bolt all of my suspension back on, for the last time :cool:

Although I have plenty of bolts, unfortunately, they are set bolts & I personaly, don't think it too wise to use them !!

Most of you will be aware, if fixings are bought in larger quantitys, it tends to work out a lot cheaper ;)

Have gauged some prices & here's what I have come up with.

Full suspension & diff mounting Kit

2, M12 X 260mm bolts ( Rear uprights )

2, M12 X 200mm bolts ( Diff mounts )

20, M12 X 75mm bolts ( Wishbones, rear camber adjusters & Lower rear shock mounts )

6, M12 X 60mm bolts ( Front shocks & rear upper shocks )

30 M12 Nyloc nuts, Type p, 14mm thick

60 M12 Flat washers ( One for each side of the bolt ) Form A 24mm od, 2.5mm thick

60 M12 Black plastic nut covers

I have costed each kit at about £22.50 - £25 Max, dependent on postage cost.

To make full use of buying full boxes of the longer bolts ( This is where the bulk of the cost is ), I will need to find enough interest to shift 10 sets .

I am quite happy to organise a group buy as it may help others avoid the headache of finding the long bolts & paying through the nose by buying small quantitys :)

Any thoughts welcome.

Edit
Just to add, the bolts will be High Tensile 8.8 grade & all bolts, nuts & washers will be Bright Zinc Plated

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Edit

Here's the list so far

1: Bonzo + nut covers

2: Tatey + nut covers + Plain nut set

3: Greasemonkey + nut covers

4: KenK + nut covers + Plain nut set

5: les g + nut covers

6: HandyAndy + nut covers

7: CarlKnight1982 + nut covers

8: David 17

9: Luke2482 + nut covers

10: Ginger Nutter + nut covers

11: Geeman + nut covers

12: Tkpm + nut covers + Plain nut set

13: onedayTM + nut covers + Plain nut set

14: Ozzy1

15: Hoybi
-----------------------------------------

If any of you are confused about the nut covers, please read further down the thread.

I have found a cheaper source for most of the fixings in addition to a low cost source of M12 plastic nut covers .... Looks as if I can include nut covers without increasing the kit price :)

Tatey 9th May 2010 03:38 PM

Count me in Bonzo!

Bonzo 9th May 2010 03:51 PM

Hi Tatey

I think the best thing to do is start a list of folk that are interested :)

If anyone thinks the quantity or any of the sizes are wrong let me know .... It can be ammended accordingly & should not affect the price.

If you want in, just add your name to the list :)

1: Bonzo

2: Tatey

3: Greasemonkey

greasemonkey 9th May 2010 04:29 PM

me to please:)

Bonzo 9th May 2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greasemonkey (Post 37839)
me to please:)

Added to list :)

Prices are based on the lowest price that I can find at the moment

Rest assured, i'll continue hunting & will get to my local wholesaler to see if I can get a better price break. ;)

Determined to get the cost down, as low as possible :)

KenK 9th May 2010 05:46 PM

Me too please, thanks

4: KenK

Bonzo 9th May 2010 06:00 PM

Nice one KenK

I think One more & I will go ahead & order up .... I can then leave this offer open untill all 10 sets are gone :)

Now the good news

I have found a cheaper source for all of the fastenings except the longest bolts.

This stockist also has the Plastic nut covers at a very good price ( Some required fro IVA puposes )

Would folk like the appropiate nut covers included or would you prefer a lower, kit price ?

It would also be great if someone has an idea of exactly what nuts need to be covered .... It would be a real pitty not to order enogh if that's what folk want ;)

Tatey 9th May 2010 06:22 PM

Id prefer for the nut covers to be included please Bonzo. I'll need them eventually and I can't see it costing much extra.

I know for certain that the roll bar bolts need to be covered (however i wont be needing these as my roll cage will be fully welded in).

les g 9th May 2010 06:24 PM

Me too please, thanks

5: les g & the nut covers please

Bonzo 9th May 2010 06:29 PM

You are dead right there Tatey, some nut covers will be needed for IVA

Being as I have managed to find a lower cost source for most of the fixings, i'll be able to include nut covers without increasing the original estimated cost of the bolt kit ( If that's what folk prefer ) :cool:

I'll have a study of some post IVA buid pics & see if I can work out what nuts need to be covered ;)

Tatey 9th May 2010 06:32 PM

Bonzo i've had an idea, i'm not sure if others will want to to it. But what about also including the required number of plain M12 nuts, so that we can save the nylocs for the final fitting and just use plain nuts, since they will need to be taken off and put back on multiple times?

Bonzo 9th May 2010 06:34 PM

Ok Les :)

I'll get on the case in the morning.

In the meanwhile, i'll double check the bolt lengths are correct .... Don't want too much thread showing or even worse, not enough ;)

With a little luck, I can get all of the fixings in during next week :cool:

Bonzo 9th May 2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatey (Post 37848)
Bonzo i've had an idea, i'm not sure if others will want to to it. But what about also including the required number of plain M12 nuts, so that we can save the nylocs for the final fitting and just use plain nuts, since they will need to be taken off and put back on multiple times?

I havn't got a problem doing that Tatey

Buying in bulk, the plain BZP full nuts work out about 5p each ;)

Quite happy to make each order up to suit the individual within reason :)

Tis time I stocked up the workshop anyways .... stacks of set bolts here but not a lot else :eek:

HandyAndy 9th May 2010 06:56 PM

can i have a full set too please, mine have been on and off too many times so time for a new set,
covers too please.

thanks

andy

Bonzo 9th May 2010 07:10 PM

No problem Andy

Added to the list mate .... Now get your thinking head on & help me work out how many nut covers are likely to be needed for each car's suspension :D :D

1: Bonzo + nut covers

2: Tatey + nut covers

5: les g + nut covers

6: HandyAndy + nut covers

7: CarlKnight1982 + nut covers

HandyAndy 9th May 2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 37852)
No problem Andy

.... Now get your thinking head on & help me work out how many nut covers are likely to be needed for each car's suspension :D :D

Ok will do :)
but don,t forget that the IVA man doesn,t require nut covers on bolts/nuts that are not reachable with the radius sphere, in fact i,ve read somewhere that an IVA tester likes to see the head of bolts & lock nuts showing the strength stamp without having to remove a cover to check.

cheers
andy

Bonzo 9th May 2010 07:21 PM

Yes I have read that too .... My intention is to take all of my nut covers with me at the time of IVA & fit them once the tester has inspected the fixings ;)

HandyAndy 9th May 2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 37855)
Yes I have read that too .... My intention is to take all of my nut covers with me at the time of IVA & fit them once the tester has inspected the fixings ;)

That is a very good idea :cool:
its always a good idea to cover ones nuts :D

cheers
andy

dogwood 9th May 2010 07:41 PM

Just a point on exposing you're nuts.....:eek:
On Ash's test, the dear tester made us remove all the covers.
So Ash had to completely expose his nuts.
It was bloody freezing that day as well......:rolleyes: :D

Bonzo 9th May 2010 07:55 PM

Trust you David :D :D

That's probably where I read about exposing your nuts.

Twas about then I hatched the cunning plan to leave my nuts exposed for the tester & cover them up once he'd seen them :eek: :D

carlknight1982 9th May 2010 08:10 PM

Im in for a set please mate + Covers

alga 9th May 2010 08:33 PM

My back of the envelope calculation puts the weight of the kit at around 3200 g, which means postage would be around £20 if split into two Airmail small packets. I guess that leaves me out :(

I think the rear upright lower bolt will be shorter. Upright - 120 mm. 2 bushes: 100 mm. 2 washers - 3 mm. Nylock nut - 12 mm. 2 more spins of the thread - 3.5 mm. Total: 238.5 mm. Seeing as this is the bolt that interferes with 14" steel wheels for some people, I'd keep it at minimum.

I would also suggest adding front upright strut pinch bolts, M12x45, to the kit.

Bonzo 9th May 2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlknight1982 (Post 37863)
Im in for a set please mate + Covers

Added to the list mate :)

I have put a copy of the list in the first post of this thread ;)

Bonzo 9th May 2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alga (Post 37866)
My back of the envelope calculation puts the weight of the kit at around 3200 g, which means postage would be around £20 if split into two Airmail small packets. I guess that leaves me out :(

I think the rear upright lower bolt will be shorter. Upright - 120 mm. 2 bushes: 100 mm. 2 washers - 3 mm. Nylock nut - 12 mm. 2 more spins of the thread - 3.5 mm. Total: 238.5 mm. Seeing as this is the bolt that interferes with 14" steel wheels for some people, I'd keep it at minimum.

I would also suggest adding front upright strut pinch bolts, M12x45, to the kit.

That shipping is a real killer :(

Like you say, the only reliable way of getting them out to you would be by Airmail & yes, split into two packages to avoid the 2kg weight limit :rolleyes:

Thank's for the info Albert .... I will go through the lengths thouroughly before I order up, want to get it spot on.

Would you think the upright pinch bolts would need to be stronger that 8.8's ?

Your thoughts would be most welcome :) .

alga 9th May 2010 09:08 PM

I'm a complete numpty at mechanical engineering and don't have a clue about how to calculate the tensile load on that bolt, but I can just about make out an 8.8 rating on the original Sierra bolts.

Bonzo 9th May 2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alga (Post 37870)
I'm a complete numpty at mechanical engineering and don't have a clue about how to calculate the tensile load on that bolt, but I can just about make out an 8.8 rating on the original Sierra bolts.

Cheers Albert :)

I guess at 8.8 the thread would yield before the bolts yeild point & there won't be any real torsional load on the bolts as such.

If 8.8's were good enough for Ford, they'll be good enough for me :D

David_17 9th May 2010 09:21 PM

Could i be added to the list thankyouplease :D

Bonzo 9th May 2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David_17 (Post 37873)
Could i be added to the list thankyouplease :D

All sorted & on the list :) :)

Two sets left to go & that will take care of a full box of the longest bolts ;)

geeman 9th May 2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 37874)
All sorted & on the list :) :)

Two sets left to go & that will take care of a full box of the longest bolts ;)

would be interested, but i dont need the diff bolts if possible. Thanks

Luke2842 9th May 2010 09:59 PM

I'll be in for a set as well please Bonzo + nut covers

Cheers

Luke

ginger nutter 9th May 2010 10:08 PM

Put me down for a set including nut covers

Bonzo 9th May 2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke2842 (Post 37880)
I'll be in for a set as well please Bonzo + nut covers

Cheers

Luke

Added to the list luke :)

--------------

Geeman

No problem sending you a set, minus the diff bolts .... This will only reduce the cost a little as I have found a source where I can buy those individually at about 50p each

Bonzo 9th May 2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginger nutter (Post 37883)
Put me down for a set including nut covers

Added to the list :)

-------------------------------------------

That's 10 sets :cool:

I'll leave this run a while .... I don't have a problem in buying another box of 20 of the longest bolts in order to make up more sets.

It would be a real pitty for anyone to miss out on the chance to buy a bolt kit at wholesale prices :)

geeman 9th May 2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 37885)
Added to the list luke :)

--------------

Geeman

No problem sending you a set, minus the diff bolts .... This will only reduce the cost a little as I have found a source where I can buy those individually at about 50p each

in that case even if its a £ or 2 extra put me down for the diff bolts as well as theres no harm in having spares.

Bonzo 9th May 2010 11:00 PM

Added to the list Geeman :)

Let me know if you want the nut covers as well ;)

If folk look at the list on the first post in this thread & want / don't want nut covers, let me know so as I can keep the list up to date :)

geeman 9th May 2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 37901)
Added to the list Geeman :)

Let me know if you want the nut covers as well ;)

If folk look at the list on the first post in this thread & want / don't want nut covers, let me know so as I can keep the list up to date :)

Nut covers would be great too!! Count me in. Thanks

tkpm 9th May 2010 11:46 PM

Me to please and nut covers to.

Terry

Bonzo 10th May 2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkpm (Post 37912)
Me to please and nut covers to.

Terry

Added to the list Terry :)

onedayTM 10th May 2010 08:48 PM

Hi Ronnie, could you add me to your list please, bolts and covers.
cheers,
tony.

Bonzo 10th May 2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onedayTM (Post 37982)
Hi Ronnie, could you add me to your list please, bolts and covers.
cheers,
tony.

Added to the list Tony :)