Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gingea1pom's Build Diary (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2840)

gingea1pom 2nd January 2010 11:02 PM

TT,

It’s great isn’t it, especially when you can cut the front of the car of.

I am more used to working on big diesel lumps in landrovers, trucks and tanks!

AshG 2nd January 2010 11:14 PM

as for moving it that's what the range is for.

gingea1pom 2nd January 2010 11:21 PM

Ash,

Do you know I hadn't thought of that!!

twinturbo 2nd January 2010 11:38 PM

There's no way I am cutting the front of either of my two sierras.. I just have to be trebble jointed and have see round corner vision.

TT

mark 3rd January 2010 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The first pic are the core plugs as previously discussed

And the second are some pics of my water outlet, im mounting the dash temp gauge sender in the same pipe as the original was mounted to the donor inlet manifold, you can also see the by passing thermostat from car builder solutions

The pipe is angled upwards so there is approximately 15mm of clearance between the pipe and chassis rail. I decided to take the plumbing under the inlet manifold instead of running on the hotter exhaust manifold side

Although my outlet will be smoothed out and powder coated, using a 1600cvh thermostat housing would probably look a better job but after some thought i didnt want to chop the chassis above the gearbox to gain enough clearance to fit one as they are quite bulky and to me (just my opinion;) ) that looks like the weakest part of the chassis as it has to be open with no support underneath for the gearbox to fit in so i thought best to leave it alone :)

gingea1pom 3rd January 2010 08:37 PM

Cheers Mark

Those pictures really helped, is the thermostat in the new pipe coming of the back of the engine?

mark 3rd January 2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingea1pom (Post 28265)
Cheers Mark

Those pictures really helped, is the thermostat in the new pipe coming of the back of the engine?

The thermostat is on the end of the new pipe connected with a piece of blue silicone hose, the thermostat outlet points under the carbs and has a black hose on it

The bypass is pointing over the top of the engine and has nothing connected to it yet, it will be reduced down to about 12mm and routed around the edge of the rocker cover to feed the standard cvh bypass which is a hose tail located just to the right of the timing cover at the top

Hope this info is of some use!

gingea1pom 3rd January 2010 09:02 PM

That makes sense:D

Thanks

gingea1pom 30th January 2010 09:18 PM

30 Jan

Wow one update at the start of Jan and one right at the end, it might seem like nothing has happened but things have moved on a little.

Weekends have been busy with family and a great trip to Saturn Sports Cars to swap my band saw for some fibreglass. Now I don’t mean to sound ungrateful, as I can imagine if you are out of work it must be hell, BUT after having five weeks off before Christmas, going back to work was a shock. It also gets in the way, as I tend to have to prepare things over the weekend for Monday. Excuses over, the story so far.......

Engine and gearbox came out together and are staying that way to mock up engine mounts; I have kept every brake pipe union and every bolt that I removed.

Today I removed the drive shafts and rear hubs (the fronts came off weeks ago) finally got the diff off and the hand break.

My concern now is the wiring. Every plug within the engine bay is labelled and I was planning on removing the wiring loom complete, however, where the loom goes through the bulkhead there is no connector. So, I plan to lop the loom off at the bulk head so I have an ‘engine loom’, then cut the connectors for the steering column off leaving long tails. Also I can’t seem to disconnect the clutch cable from the pedal.

I hope to have the Sierra picked up next weekend.

One other thing, I will be removing the VIN number from by the driver’s seat and I have got the whole slam panel, but I was under the impression that cars had the VIN number stamped on the car in two places. Well, I’m bu****ed if I can find a second VIN number stamp. Any ideas?

Cheers Ginge

tkpm 30th January 2010 09:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The wiring loom will come out in one go, when you take out the fuse/ relay box the the loom will come out with it.

Attachment 673