Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gingea1pom's Build Diary (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2840)

gingea1pom 30th January 2010 08:42 PM

Tkpm,

You absolute star. I would never have found it and the tip about the fuse box thanks. A picture as well, paints a thousand words. Thanks again.

Ginge

alga 30th January 2010 11:32 PM

Also, it's easier to enlarge the hole and drop the fusebox inside, rather than pull the whole loom out through it.

twinturbo 31st January 2010 07:38 AM

engine loom is seperate anyway.. either the three plugs behind the battery, or near the glovebox depending on year.

The front lighting loom will need withdrawing through the drivers bulkhead gromet into the car. then unbolt the fuse box and pull everything through into the engine bay.

for the cluthch cable, its easier with two peeps. pull the pedal right up hard, this releases the tensioner lock. then rotate the quadrant round to release tension in the cable. now 3 options.

1) try and unhook the slack cable from the quadrant.
2) get helper to unhook cable from fork.
3) gently release quadrant, and unhook from fork yourself.

TT

Bonzo 31st January 2010 09:23 AM

Almost certain that the Vin number is only stamped on the floor next to the drivers seat on the Sierra.
The only other one is on the Vin plate riveted to the slam pannel.

Will you need the clutch cable ?? ..... You may find it a tad to long for the Roadster.

I bought an early Capri one for mine ... looks to be an ideal length & as a bonus, has an adjustable section at the gearbox end . ;)

gingea1pom 31st January 2010 10:50 AM

All great news men thanks.

If the Capri clutch cable is a better option I think I will cut my losses and leave the Sierra one where it is.

I have got the slam panel and am going to cut the VIN plate from by the driver’s seat so no more VIN plates to find?

As to the wiring (my nemesis at the moment) I have found the grommet that takes a yellow relay and a fuse into the car under the battery box and pulled them through but as yet can’t find a plug that separates the ‘engine’ loom from the rest of the wiring.

I am going to undo the fuse box and try to remove as much wiring complete as I can but will probably end up cutting it somehow.

The important thing here I think is I will have all the connectors, which are labelled.

Cheers Ginge

gingea1pom 31st January 2010 01:31 PM

31 Jan

I wasn’t going to go in the garage but the mind of information from the forum about removing the Sierra wiring spurred me on, and it only took an hour.

I managed to work out how to separate the ‘engine’ loom, just three plugs and a bolt holding some positives onto the battery connector, which thinned the spaghetti out a lot.

Then I started cutting some wires inside the car. Two big cuts really, one was where a bunch goes into the driver’s foot well, and the second being the lump that runs across the dash to the passenger side of the car.

It is all out now complete with fuse box in a heap in the corner of the garage. At last, it weighs a few Kg’s too!

SWMBO is on a fitness drive so we are all of out for a walk this afternoon, but I hope to cut the VIN out later, remove the rear number plate (which I forgot all about) and lower the Sierra onto the trolley I borrowed from SteveS, Then I need to phone the scrappies to collect it on Wednesday (the Army only works half a day on Wednesday!).

Then back to building not dismantling, I can’t wait.

alga 31st January 2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 30090)
engine loom is seperate anyway.. either the three plugs behind the battery, or near the glovebox depending on year.

I think it wasn't on my continental Sierra. There were two plugs behind the glovebox (on the right side), but on the driver's side there are no plugs, just a thick loom going through the firewall joining with the inside loom. If there was a connector, it was very well hidden beneath insulation tape or in the firewall grommet.

gingea1pom 31st January 2010 03:12 PM

Alga,

That is exactly how mine looks only not in the kitchen, my Mrs would do back flips! :eek:

alga 31st January 2010 03:17 PM

Mine was gone shopping and I used the time to untangle the mess, neatly roll each loose end, and sweep the floor afterwards. ;)

gingea1pom 31st January 2010 03:45 PM

Just cut the VIN plate out from by the driver’s seat, the Sierra is good to go now.:) I will lower it onto the trolley tonight or tomorrow ready for collection Wednesday or early on the 8th.