Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   front sb's (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2353)

old_bill 19th July 2009 12:06 PM

front sb's

I started to fit the front suspension brackets and found that I have a gap between the chassis and the bracket. I have checked the frame dimensions and they seem OK. I had a word with Spikehaus as he had the same problem. There is apparently a thread on this but I can't find it.

Should I place a spacer between the chassis and bracket or should I manufacture new brackets with the dimension to the bracket hole altered to suit?

Thoughts and ideas appreciated :)

HandyAndy 19th July 2009 12:09 PM

just put a spacer behind the bracket, i too had the same problem.

andy

mr henderson 19th July 2009 12:13 PM

My vote would be for a spacer too. I'm sure you will do something suitable strong, and I think that would be better and more rigid than a bracket with longer arms.

Bonzo 19th July 2009 12:47 PM

As with many others, I too had a gap that required a spacer ( 3mm to be exact )

Checked & double checked the bracket alignment jigs, spot on ;)

As long as the brackets are in alignment with the book spec, all should be fine :) :)

fabbyglass 19th July 2009 12:59 PM

Don't shout at me but why not make the front chassis section that much wider to account for the gap.....:confused:

mr henderson 19th July 2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabbyglass (Post 18166)
Don't shout at me but why not make the front chassis section that much wider to account for the gap.....:confused:

Probably because using spacers would be a lot easier/quicker than going back and redoing the front frame

fabbyglass 19th July 2009 01:14 PM

I would sooner redo the frame section

HandyAndy 19th July 2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabbyglass (Post 18168)
I would sooner redo the frame section

i have thought about this small issue & have looked at how to resolve it in a future build. ;)

andy

Bonzo 19th July 2009 02:58 PM

From the brief bit of head scratching that I done.

It would appear that it is the intersection point at the bottom of the front frame tube & the Two upright tubes that attach to it.

I can't name the parts because I do not have rhe book to hand. :o :o

If I were to build another chassis, I would ensure that the front frame was made to suit the brackets. ;)

With the chassis fully welded, altering the front frame was not an option. :eek:

mark 20th July 2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_bill (Post 18148)
I started to fit the front suspension brackets and found that I have a gap between the chassis and the bracket. I have checked the frame dimensions and they seem OK. I had a word with Spikehaus as he had the same problem. There is apparently a thread on this but I can't find it.

Should I place a spacer between the chassis and bracket or should I manufacture new brackets with the dimension to the bracket hole altered to suit?

Thoughts and ideas appreciated :)

It seems as though the person who doesnt need packing behind these brackets is the odd one out on this one!

I did the same as have many others have just pack them out and weld em up!