Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General discussion (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Fuel Tank Vent? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12395)

skov 11th January 2013 01:23 PM

Fuel Tank Vent?

Hi all,

My fuel tank has three hose connections - fuel feed, fuel return, and vent.

Just wondering what people do with the vent connection?

Can I just hang a pipe off it to vent it directly to the air, or do I need some kind of valve in-line?

On my donor it would have gone to the charcoal canister, but that's long gone!

K4KEV 11th January 2013 03:43 PM

Hi John ...you will need some kind of non return valve so in case of a roll the petrol cannot leak out.

Davidbolam 11th January 2013 04:29 PM

Hi John I used a one way fuel valve from demon tweaks. It cost about 2 delivered.

how's the build coming on? I keep checking your build for new pic (motivation)

Do you know how Johnos build is coming on?

Here is a link.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8MM-ONE-WA...item564f7e028c

David

skov 11th January 2013 07:23 PM

Hey David, the build hasn't progressed much over the last couple of months.
I've been doing little bits and bobs, but nothing really worth taking photos of I'm afraid. Seem to be starting jobs, but not getting them finished :rolleyes:
Mostly been working on tidying up the wiring, which seems to be taking forever :(
Finally got the roll bar completed and sent it to the powder coaters today, so that's something at least!

Haven't heard anything from Johno since his last post back in November.

How's your build coming along?

Johno 11th January 2013 08:50 PM

Hi there,
Well I'm still around but work load and family issues have kept me fairly busy...:( before Christmas.
I've been keeping a close eye on all your builds and have been envious of all your builds and progress.:eek: :eek:
Since my Dad passed away I'm finding it hard to get motivated but I really need to get started again.
I've no intention to quit but need a seriuous kick up the butt to get going again, looking at some of the builds this is a phase a lot of people go through.
I don't comment on a lot of posts because my car knowledge is very limited and don't feel like I have anything to contribute.:o

I was thinking on working on the car this weekend now works slowed up, so I may post something soon..

Regarding the fuel tank vent I was going to fit the dual non return valve system from CBS. I know it's expensive but when the fuel tank warms up it will vent pressure and when the fuel tank is feeding the injection system it will not create a vacuumm.

Davidbolam 11th January 2013 09:43 PM

My build isn't going as fast as I want! I am eager to get out there every night however as soon as I open the garage door it's freezing out there!!!

I am busy installing the radiator and have studied everyone's photos as much as possible. I am a bit worried that the radiator may be too high once it's welded and bolted in. It will be nice to let it run up to temperature.

I was thinking of visiting the guy who made your exhaust in consett as its fairly close to me.

I want to take the car for a drive as soon as the cooling system is done however I will need to use the handbrake as I don't want to bleed my brakes until the bodywork is fitted. ( looks like it will be messy )

Good to hear from you Johno. I will look out for some pictures soon. Have you made a template for the hole you made in the dash for the mx5 cluster?

David

Tatey 11th January 2013 09:44 PM

Johno, do you happen to have any builders local to you? I always fine when I need a motivational kick up the backside have a chat while looking over someone else's build always seems to do the trick.

deezee 11th January 2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K4KEV (Post 87830)
Hi John ...you will need some kind of non return valve so in case of a roll the petrol cannot leak out.

Does your fuel filler need a non return valve for when you are upside down? I passed the IVA without a one way valve. VOSA doesnt see it as important then. In case any one cares. My filler breathes. Dont know why everyone doesnt use one.

K4KEV 11th January 2013 11:54 PM

my filler cap does not have a breather therefore I will need a fuel vent, any tank that does not have a breathable filler cap will need a one way valve vent, and I for one would not want to be upside down with an open vent as we all know how close the tank is:(

snapper 12th January 2013 06:45 AM

When I fitted the fuel fuel pumps and swirl pot I used my tank vent as a return so now run a CBS one way valve on the swirl pot
From the filler neck I used a clamp in pipe takeoff and a small breather with a ball valve that shuts off the pipe in a roll
There advertised on eBay as bike breathers