Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   few electrical queries (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5252)

steve8274 19th October 2010 08:57 PM

few electrical queries

hi all
wiring my car at moment but have a few queries. anyone help?
1. my loom only has 2 wires going to master cylinder cap. cap has 3 connections. any ideas which ones i connect too?
2. gearbox reverse switch leads to a plug which has a black/blue, black and a brown wire looped back on itself. loom has a single light green wire for reverse. any ideas?
3. handbrake has 2 wires. does one connect to switch and other just an earth?
4. is it ok to locate megajolt on firewall or next to battery tray in engne compartment?
thanks for help
much appreciated
steve

David_17 19th October 2010 10:07 PM

1. One pin on the cap goes to earth.

2. Cut your green wire and join one end to one of the gearbox wires and the other to the other one. It's just a switch.

3. Yes.

4. Can't see why not.

Hope that makes sense and helps a little.

mr henderson 19th October 2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve8274 (Post 47152)
wiring my car at moment but have a few queries. anyone help?
1. my loom only has 2 wires going to master cylinder cap. cap has 3 connections. any ideas which ones i connect too?

Ignore the middle contact, wie one of the outers to earth and the other to the earth side of the warning light.

steve8274 20th October 2010 08:22 PM

hi david
2. Cut your green wire and join one end to one of the gearbox wires and the other to the other one. It's just a switch.

i dont quite understand (probably obvious)
my loom has the single green wire dedicated for reverse switch. one side is at rear for light itself and then other side just leads out of loom to connect to reverse switch

with regards to cap, does it matter which side connects to where?
thanks
steve

mr henderson 20th October 2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve8274 (Post 47215)
with regards to cap, does it matter which side connects to where?

I would have said if it did.:p

HandyAndy 20th October 2010 08:31 PM

Steve,

I,m not that good with electrics but from your description of the wire colour going to the reverse switch on the gearbox................is your loom a Premier Wiring Loom?

If so then I have the same loom, might be able to help if so.

cheers
andy

steve8274 20th October 2010 08:41 PM

hi andy
i think the loom is a premier loom. or maybe vicki green. cant be 100% had it for a while and read so many posts!

would you like to enlighten me Mr henderson regarding which wire goes where for the cap :)
steve

HandyAndy 20th October 2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve8274 (Post 47223)
hi andy
i think the loom is a premier loom. or maybe vicki green. cant be 100% had it for a while and read so many posts!

steve

Steve,
I have a Premier loom fitted to my car, as I,m not that good ( read useless) with electrics, I had it fitted by an auto electrician, I,ll check my gearbox wiring for you in the morning ( car not at home).

Not sure if this would help, but I also have the Vicky Green wiring diagram that I could email to you if you wish?

cheers
andy

steve8274 20th October 2010 08:50 PM

hi andy
if you could check you car when you get a chance that would be great. i have a copy of vicky green diagram but on mine it doesnt say where wires connect to for reverse (or if it does i cant see it)
im useless at electrics too. been at it for couple of weeks now on and off and just about getting hang of it. not sorted relays yet tho. (probably be another post that!
thanks again
steve

HandyAndy 20th October 2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve8274 (Post 47227)
hi andy
if you could check you car when you get a chance that would be great. i have a copy of vicky green diagram but on mine it doesnt say where wires connect to for reverse (or if it does i cant see it)
im useless at electrics too. been at it for couple of weeks now on and off and just about getting hang of it. not sorted relays yet tho. (probably be another post that!
thanks again
steve

No prob, I,ll check it in the morning & post back the info on here tomorrow evening.

ps... don,t forget that the rear fog light must only be able to work with the dipped or main headlights....some wiring looms allow it to work on the side lights....not allowed under the New IVA ;)

cheers
andy