Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Chris's new build of an MX5 based car (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6206)

Bonzo 6th April 2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 56726)
Cheers bonzo, determined to do this right, involve the kids and keep the financial cost impact on daily living to minimum. My other family pastime is horse riding and that does a good job of emptying the current account regularly!

I can well imagine :)

That takes me back a bit, it's been a good few years since I was last on a horse .... Mind you, much the same as my motor cycle days, spent more time off em than on em :o :o :D

CTWV50 7th April 2011 04:28 PM

Nice to meet a fellow rider on here, I love riding horses the thrill at a gallop on the beach or jumping them cross country or even show jumping, it really does fill a void in my life. Motor bikes I have steered clear of because if I hadn't I doubt I'd be here to type this.:rolleyes:

ozzy1 7th April 2011 05:24 PM

horse.!mmm tasty!!

Bonzo 7th April 2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy1 (Post 56785)
horse.!mmm tasty!!

What !!

Even more tasty than Roo :D :D

ozzy1 7th April 2011 06:25 PM

Roo just like beef just a bit stronger in flavour.:eek:

Apparently Australia the only country to eat the animal that is its national emblem!!!!!????????

CTWV50 7th April 2011 07:57 PM

The french will eat anything!

HandyAndy 7th April 2011 08:46 PM

Horse rider here too, had 2 of my own a few years ago, well 1 for me & 1 for the wife, hers was a good little , what I would call a "plodder" , a Welsh section "D", cracking "in Hand" show horse...

My own was a 16 hand Thoroughbred chestnut mare, & wow was she "flighty" :eek: a great show jumper, higher the better, she was great, used to turn her into the jump, she,d see it & her ears twitched as if to say "I see it, here we go" :eek: , i,d "give" her the reign & she,d jump it perfectly :cool: , tho I then would "take" the reign in mid flight, as otherwise we,d be off like a speed train once she,d landed :D .

I used to spend more money on horse shoes in a year than I,ve spent on shoes for myself in my lifetime LOL.

Tho, must agree, its a great feeling galloping flat out along a beach, its hard to describe, but , wow, took my breath away.

I also dabbled with motorbikes....used to race them for a team....ouch.

cheers
andy

CTWV50 8th April 2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 56806)
Horse rider here too, had 2 of my own a few years ago, well 1 for me & 1 for the wife, hers was a good little , what I would call a "plodder" , a Welsh section "D", cracking "in Hand" show horse...

My own was a 16 hand Thoroughbred chestnut mare, & wow was she "flighty" :eek: a great show jumper, higher the better, she was great, used to turn her into the jump, she,d see it & her ears twitched as if to say "I see it, here we go" :eek: , i,d "give" her the reign & she,d jump it perfectly :cool: , tho I then would "take" the reign in mid flight, as otherwise we,d be off like a speed train once she,d landed.

I used to spend more money on horse shoes in a year than I,ve spent on shoes for myself in my lifetime

Tho, must agree, its a great feeling galloping flat out along a beach, its hard to describe, but , wow, took my breath away.

I also dabbled with motorbikes....used to race them for a team....ouch.

cheers
andy

Yes they aren't cheap and it's always nice to have a horse that enjoys their jumping, the one we have at the moment is inexperienced but a joy to jump and will hack out anywhere on his own. Such a good horse but expensive to run.

I know if i had ever got into bikes I'd of taken one too many risks as my confidence grew and would of ended up dead or in a wheel chair so I steer well clear.:eek:

Back to the build, I have sold a large portion of my retro gaming stuff in one sale and should have £500 cash burning a hole in my pocket by tomorrow morning. I have decided it will buy the steel for the chassis pay for a larger gas bottle and the build table and some much needed tools. So tempted to buy the chassis precut but doing a mazda (saturn design) build I have to wait for the drawings for the diff/tunnel sections.

spud69 8th April 2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 56845)
Yes they aren't cheap and it's always nice to have a horse that enjoys their jumping, the one we have at the moment is inexperienced but a joy to jump and will hack out anywhere on his own. Such a good horse but expensive to run.

I know if i had ever got into bikes I'd of taken one too many risks as my confidence grew and would of ended up dead or in a wheel chair so I steer well clear.:eek:

Back to the build, I have sold a large portion of my retro gaming stuff in one sale and should have £500 cash burning a hole in my pocket by tomorrow morning. I have decided it will buy the steel for the chassis pay for a larger gas bottle and the build table and some much needed tools. So tempted to buy the chassis precut but doing a mazda (saturn design) build I have to wait for the drawings for the diff/tunnel sections.

Nearly Ready Chris,

Chassis will be rolling today with engine in and mounted, will also put up some new pics. I've spent a fair bit of time cadding it up this week but have a bit of a headache getting upto speed with google sketchup. Nearly there though. Will have the flat pack chassis kits ready soon as well as everything else.

Regards....Andrew

skov 8th April 2011 01:58 PM

95% of Saturn's MX5 chassis is identical to the book.
I started with one of Handy's standard flat pack kits, and have only had to change/replace a few parts for the MX5 version.
I'm sure if you talk to Handy nicely, he'll come up with a plan to get you started - he's been a great help for me :cool:
It'll save you countless hours starting with a pre-cut kit - well worth the small premium!