Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gingea1pom's Build Diary (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2840)

AshG 28th February 2010 09:50 PM

ah yes you are correct ginge. not having a good time of it at the moment. doing these last few bits for my iva retest is starting to get me down.

have wasted a whole day cutting a new bit of convex glass to fit in my r1 mirrors only to go and break it trying to get it to fit into the housing of the mirror. to say im feeling pissed off is an understatement. think i am going to give up and just buy a set of mirrors off caterham or westfield. i know they cost a bomb but they should at least get me a pass.

drury318 28th February 2010 10:00 PM

Hi Ash, I have been looking for mirrors myself & there are some basic convex mirrors on the Caterham site for around £17, similar ones on CBS too.
Dennis

AshG 28th February 2010 10:43 PM

Hi dury those caterham ones are designed to go onto cars with window screens mine hasnt got a screen. have bit the bullet and bought the proper Westfield that are designed to be mounted on the scuttle they cost a bit but are made for the job.

Eternal 18th March 2010 08:51 PM

wow just got to the end of the thread. Great read! any more updates?

gingea1pom 12th April 2010 09:04 PM

12 Apr

Well it’s been to long without an update, 43 days to be precise. All the usual excuses I’m afraid busy at work and being away during the week so the weekends become important family time etc etc.

Any way a little progress report before I start back in the garage tomorrow.

Finally the Sierra got picked up.

[IMG][/IMG]

I reamed out my uprights, by hand. It took a while but there was plenty of checking to make sure I hadn’t gone too far. They are both done now the picture is just for comparison.

[IMG][/IMG]

I gave some Deox-C rust remover a bash on one of the uprights. Little lesson, which seems glaringly obvious when you know the stuff is water soluble, remove all traces of grease and oil first!

[IMG][/IMG]

I was lazy on this one and after 4 days it has got 90% of the rust of. The next one will be getting a thorough de-greasing/oiling before being de-rusted for a few days.

I couldn’t wait to get something painted so, my newly fabricated engine mounts got the good news.

1, Two coats of etch primer
2. Two coats of gray primer
3. Two to three coats of orange
4. Two coats of lacquer.

[IMG][/IMG]

All from rattle cans just to see how they look.

I have ordered a Mk II polo radiator today, hopefully it rocks up before the end of the week so I can get some bracketry fabricated and I want to get the nose and rear tube fitted then removed back to the safety of the loft.

Cheers Ginge

twinturbo 12th April 2010 09:55 PM

Why Laquer?

TT

gingea1pom 12th April 2010 10:02 PM

TT,

To be honest, I don’t know.:(

I have watched that many programs in my time and they are always using lacquer I thought I should give it a bash.

Should I not bother? It was the hardest layer to do well as well!

Cheers Ginge

HandyAndy 12th April 2010 10:19 PM

the green cable ties are very fetching :D

engine mounts look nice :cool:

i,ll get my coat :p

cheers
andy

gingea1pom 12th April 2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 36056)
the green cable ties are very fetching :D

engine mounts look nice :cool:

i,ll get my coat :p

cheers
andy

Andy,

Once the rest of the chassis looks like the engine mounts I will be right happy, thats a little way of yet me thinks.

Cheers Ginge

HandyAndy 12th April 2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingea1pom (Post 36057)
Andy,

Once the rest of the chassis looks like the engine mounts I will be right happy, thats a little way of yet me thinks.

Cheers Ginge

Ginge....

that will be 1 very nice chassis indeed, keep at it mate , its a great build you have in progress :cool:

Always enjoy reading your build updates.:)

cheers
andy