Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General discussion (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Another build thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5830)

skov 14th June 2014 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 97376)
which insurer are you using? ive been phoning around and getting quoted over £250

I was with Adrian Flux, now with 2gether.
Got a reasonably good quote from Frank Pickles too.

£250 sounds a bit on the high side!

SeriesLandy 14th June 2014 05:25 PM

I got mine from a-plan. Were the cheapest for me apart from 2gether but they didn't seem to know what they were on about.
£195 inc legal cover and ins to drive to iva, which a lot won't do.

rpjg1975 14th June 2014 10:21 PM

Not sure where handyandy got his from but last time I spoke to him it cost him more to tax his roadster for 6 months than it did to insure it! £94 iirc :eek:

skov 19th June 2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpjg1975 (Post 97384)
Not sure where handyandy got his from but last time I spoke to him it cost him more to tax his roadster for 6 months than it did to insure it! £94 iirc :eek:

Blimey, that is cheap! Didn't think Handy Andy ever got his on the road :confused:
Anyone know what happened to him?

skov 19th June 2014 11:23 PM

Very happy today.
Ever since I first built the car I've had trouble changing gear. I'd really struggle to get it into gear at times and occasionally the gear stick would lock completely solid.
Stripped down the gear turret and found a loose, slightly mangled, grub screw floating about in it!
Went out for a drive this evening without the rouge screw and the gear change is finally nice, slick, and trouble free, just like the mx5 box should be :D

jason 82 20th June 2014 03:36 AM

You know what they say, every cloud ! If it wasn't for your car boiling up, you wouldn't have found the gearbox issue. Well, for a while anyway. Well done. :D

Stot 20th June 2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skov (Post 97490)
Very happy today.
Ever since I first built the car I've had trouble changing gear. I'd really struggle to get it into gear at times and occasionally the gear stick would lock completely solid.
Stripped down the gear turret and found a loose, slightly mangled, grub screw floating about in it!
Went out for a drive this evening without the rouge screw and the gear change is finally nice, slick, and trouble free, just like the mx5 box should be :D

Was it the locator pin that screws in at the neck of the changer to stop the gear lever from turning? Cant think of another grub screw in that area!

Cheers
Stot

skov 20th June 2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 97495)
Was it the locator pin that screws in at the neck of the changer to stop the gear lever from turning? Cant think of another grub screw in that area!

Cheers
Stot

No, I don't think so. The locator pin is still there and working.
You've got me thinking though... It did have an aftermarket gearknob at one point that was held on with a grub screw. I wonder if it somehow dropped in there when I removed it :o

CTWV50 22nd September 2014 10:24 PM

oops wrong thread

skov 22nd February 2015 11:07 PM

Just a little update, haven't done most of the stuff I had planned this winter...
I did manage to swap the big heavy plywood dash for a minimal ali one though.
and then covered it in cheesey fake red carbon wrap :D

I moved the clocks to where I can actually see them whilst I was at it too!

CTWV50 23rd February 2015 06:06 PM

Function over form, looks much cleaner than before. :)

skov 31st March 2016 01:16 PM

Farewell

I'm afraid my journey with the Haynes came to an end last weekend when I passed her on to her new owner.

Was a little bit sad to see her go, but for me most of the fun was in building her, and I lost interest once complete.
Being a serial hobbyist I'm actually quite joyed by having an empty workshop and a fistful of cash to spend on my next project (whatever that turns out to be!)

I'm sure I'll pop my head in from time to time, but for now it's goodbye from me.

james3004 31st March 2016 01:18 PM

Sad to see you go mate :(

K4KEV 31st March 2016 06:00 PM

Defo keep us posted on your next project John, mines gonna be a ca18det powered suzy cappuccino. I know I will be gutted to let mine go, but I understand your urge to move on to pastures green.

vmax1974 31st March 2016 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K4KEV (Post 103294)
Defo keep us posted on your next project John, mines gonna be a ca18det powered suzy cappuccino. I know I will be gutted to let mine go, but I understand your urge to move on to pastures green.

Will start saving my pennys now then kev

I second what everyone else has said keep us informed and good luck

CTWV50 25th July 2016 10:30 AM

Keep in touch. :)